+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2524Likes

Thread: The View

FORT Fogey

Re: The View

Whoopi and Joy are my favorite members of the panel. They don't mince words and they don't tiptoe around the issues or downplay them to keep their jobs. They are like female versions of Bill Maher, whom I also love and respect.
    Imperfect1 likes this.

I like and respect straight-forward people. However, I don't consider Joy and Whoopi as such. I see them as overly opinionated hosts of a show who blatantly express their opinions, and rudely talk all over the guests of the show who disagree with them. I consider that bullying.
    nennie, Fanny Mare and jjm219 like this.
    "Dogs do speak, but only to those who know how to listen." ~ Orhan Pamuk

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysVeg View Post
    Whoopi and Joy are my favorite members of the panel. They don't mince words and they don't tiptoe around the issues or downplay them to keep their jobs. They are like female versions of Bill Maher, whom I also love and respect.
    I think that same description - not mincing words and not tiptoeing around issues - could be applied to Ann Coulter. Are you a fan of hers?

Don't blame you at all if the answer to that is no, but if it is, I'd suggest that it's ideology that is attractive, and not necessarily the not mincing words.
    Fanny Mare likes this.
    "The way we treat people we strongly disagree with is a report card on what we've learned about love, compassion, and kindness." - Marcandangel

"There should be less value placed on agreement and more on understanding each other"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    I think that same description - not mincing words and not tiptoeing around issues - could be applied to Ann Coulter. Are you a fan of hers?
    Don't blame you at all if the answer to that is no, but if it is, I'd suggest that it's ideology that is attractive, and not necessarily the not mincing words.
    I won't be drawn into a fight. I think when I said they reminded me of Bill Maher, the answer to your question was obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002 View Post
    I like and respect straight-forward people. However, I don't consider Joy and Whoopi as such. I see them as overly opinionated hosts of a show who blatantly express their opinions, and rudely talk all over the guests of the show who disagree with them. I consider that bullying.
    Let me tell you what I think of Joy and Whoopi, couple of old has been broads who pollute the air when they speak. Just my personal opinion.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysVeg View Post
    I won't be drawn into a fight. I think when I said they reminded me of Bill Maher, the answer to your question was obvious.
    No fights being drawn here - at least by me. Simply making a point. I think the reason some people DO mince words is that showing no restraint when expressing opinions can come across as insulting to those who hold a differing point of view. Once insulted, people tend to shut down the point being made and stop listening. That's why people like Ann Coulter, Bill Marhr, Whoopi and Joy can be ineffective in debating. It's hard to get people to listen after you've ripped them to shreds.

If Whoopi and Joy truly see their role as being to protect against the potential harms of the current administration, they could be far more effective in doing so by changing their tone.
    "The way we treat people we strongly disagree with is a report card on what we've learned about love, compassion, and kindness." - Marcandangel

"There should be less value placed on agreement and more on understanding each other"

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    No fights being drawn here - at least by me. Simply making a point. I think the reason some people DO mince words is that showing no restraint when expressing opinions can come across as insulting to those who hold a differing point of view. Once insulted, people tend to shut down the point being made and stop listening. That's why people like Ann Coulter, Bill Marhr, Whoopi and Joy can be ineffective in debating. It's hard to get people to listen after you've ripped them to shreds.

If Whoopi and Joy truly see their role as being to protect against the potential harms of the current administration, they could be far more effective in doing so by changing their tone.
    You can catch more flies with honey than you do vinegar.
    angelic_one2002 and AcookerTV like this.

My take on this is entirely different. The panelists are not why some people don’t want to watch right now. It’s their view that has some people changing the channel. But isn’t that why these ladies are there? To express their views based on knowledge, research and experience?

ACookerTV, both in this thread and in the Current Events threads, it’s my impression that you always want conversation to be about convincing others to feel a different way but that’s not what the end result of any conversation has to be. And sure like nennie says, you can catch more bees with honey than with vinegar, however, that’s not the panelists’ intent. They aren’t trying to snap up more viewers and they aren’t trying to convince anyone to change their views - they are merely expressing their own. The same thing holds true at the Current Event threads… people are there to express their views, not to convince other people to alter theirs.

Studies show that some people will not engage in political conversation - or any serious kind of conversation - because they fear being manipulated. Many DT supporters wish to remain loyal despite… despite… despite. So when Whoopi, Sunny, Joy, Sara and Jedediah enlighten us about something that is anti our current administration, those people have already checked out. Studies also show that some people will not engage in political conversation because they interpret it as being told what to think, like listening to a sermon in a church where you are not a parishioner. Or they are super sensitive, so they feel as though their opinion is being criticized even though they are merely listening to an opposing opinion! There are a whole host of reasons why political conversations are difficult; that’s why it’s a wildly avoided topic of conversation!

Props to the ladies of The View that they are doing it anyway!
    AlwaysVeg likes this.
    2016 Yearbook Title: As Playful, Faithful And Adorable As A Puppy Dog, But With Better Breath! ~ DWTS 20 Pool Winner ~ AGT 10 2nd Place ~ DWTS 22 3rd Place

Some people though, can't and will not tolerate opposing views when it comes to politics or anything else for that matter. They already have that mindset to be intolerant. Its not that the hosts of The View are trying to change anyone's opinions or views politically, it's their way of expressing theirs. They do it in a bullying my-way-is-the-only-way attitude, then they roll their eyes when a guest thinks otherwise. To me, that is offensive and rude. And they aren't just expressing their own views, in my opinion. They are shoving it down viewers' throats, and act really self-righteous about it. A good host or co-host knows how to express an opinion or view without offending others.
    Fanny Mare and jjm219 like this.
    "Dogs do speak, but only to those who know how to listen." ~ Orhan Pamuk

Quote Originally Posted by Baby's Breath View Post
    My take on this is entirely different. The panelists are not why some people don’t want to watch right now. It’s their view that has some people changing the channel. But isn’t that why these ladies are there? To express their views based on knowledge, research and experience?

ACookerTV, both in this thread and in the Current Events threads, it’s my impression that you always want conversation to be about convincing others to feel a different way but that’s not what the end result of any conversation has to be. And sure like nennie says, you can catch more bees with honey than with vinegar, however, that’s not the panelists’ intent. They aren’t trying to snap up more viewers and they aren’t trying to convince anyone to change their views - they are merely expressing their own. The same thing holds true at the Current Event threads… people are there to express their views, not to convince other people to alter theirs.

Studies show that some people will not engage in political conversation - or any serious kind of conversation - because they fear being manipulated. Many DT supporters wish to remain loyal despite… despite… despite. So when Whoopi, Sunny, Joy, Sara and Jedediah enlighten us about something that is anti our current administration, those people have already checked out. Studies also show that some people will not engage in political conversation because they interpret it as being told what to think, like listening to a sermon in a church where you are not a parishioner. Or they are super sensitive, so they feel as though their opinion is being criticized even though they are merely listening to an opposing opinion! There are a whole host of reasons why political conversations are difficult; that’s why it’s a wildly avoided topic of conversation!

Props to the ladies of The View that they are doing it anyway!

The panelists intent is to be controversial, they have always been this way from years ago. I didn't like them before the View and don't like them now. They will never change no matter what. Right now those 2 ladies have only one thing on their mind and that is to destroy DT. I say go for it gals because you aren't going to succeed.
    End of subject for me I have better things to do with my time.
    angelic_one2002 likes this.

+ Reply to Thread