+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1628Likes

Thread: The View

Re: The View

Well there's talking about politics, and there's playing war. Not everyone on TV needs to turn a discussion about current events into Crossfire, with people automatically placed on polar opposite extremes of the issues. That's not real discussion.

And more people are in the middle on these issues than on the extreme fringes, but you wouldn't know it watching cable news or the Sunday shows. It's creeped into everything we do, and it's destructive.
    dagwood, justCoz and GabbyG like this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Unfortunately, it seems to me that we are currently living in a time of hot-button issues. I don't know how you avoid it and keep an audience.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

We avoid it by not watching the shows that employ it, until they fade away, I guess.
    JulieAnn likes this.
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

FORT Fogey

Barbara Walters was quoted today (or yesterday) as saying that the show producers don't know what their "new direction" is yet. So far, much ado about nothing.

It's pretty much going to be whatever Whoopi wants it to be, from what I've read.
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

I don't think Whoopi has that much say..jmho
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

Merideth Viera will have her own show this fall
    Debb70 likes this.

I never got the impression Whoopi really cared about being on the show. I wouldn't be shocked if she decided to opt out and they either cancelled or brought on an entirely different panel.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

Whoopi has acted as if she is very grateful to have her job on that show. She said that after her acting career, she was surprised that she couldn't get an offer to do much of anything. I'm not sure if she's bored or needs the money, but she sounded desperate to have a job. Go figure. I would be surprised if she walked from The View.

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    I'd love it if we could get back to a place where politics isn't so heavily injected into every situation -- just get 5 women (or people) who like to gab who have brains in their heads, and where we stop equating things like talk shows to filling seats on the Supreme Court.

Hasselbeck was the worst example of this, as her idea of discussion is regurgitating talking points. She let me know whose side she was on, but not what makes her tick. Which is why she currently has her dream job.
    The show received the most attention when it did focus on politics, though. Everyone ate up Rosie's fights with Elisabeth over the Iraq War and the Bush administration. If they're thinking of rehiring Rosie, I think they'll be headed back in that direction since they've been fairly light on the political aspect lately (and it has sucked and been wicked boring). The midterm elections will be coming up as will the next presidential election.

If they are going back in that direction, I don't care to see five liberal women agreeing on political issues. I lean more liberal myself but I want to see a good discussion not a "yes I agree" between the whole table. I don't even like Elisabeth much but I will give her credit. They had those passionate discussions because of her.
    prhoshay, Jahim and bee stung lips like this.

+ Reply to Thread