+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1630Likes

Thread: The View

Re: The View

Quote Originally Posted by tango7 View Post
    Vocal? Really? I never heard or read anything where Katie said she no longer wanted to do the talk show. So I don't see where that understanding came from. I have seen a lot about mediocre ratings and budget problems.

Back to topic (The View) - Bill R. is a bore imo, and both Ross and Mario are over the top (though funny). They can shut the whole thing down and not many people will care.
    We're getting OT here, so if anyone wants to talk more about Katie's show, there is a thread for it in this forum, I believe. I remember reading several articles maybe a year ago that made it clear Katie was unhappy with the show and wanted it to have more of a serious journalistic bent than the producers wanted. I wasn't surprised when it was canceled because whenever I tuned in, she didn't look comfortable, especially in those fluffy segments most daytime talk shows love. That's why I can't see her joining this show. Talk about fluffy. Nothing wrong with that if it's what you like, but it doesn't seem like she does.

I read something recently that Whoopi implied she would be taking over Barbara's role on the show.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

I don't agree with giving Whoopi more creative control over the show. Why? The only reason I can think of is if they're going to take the show in the direction of more humor and comedy. She's a comedian and an actress. She was brought on in the first place just because of name recognition, and maybe her presence enabled them to get more A-list celebs/actors as guests. She speaks her mind ... to a point ... but what has she really contributed of substance to discussions? Her responses to topics are pretty predictable at this point, and I'm not interested in close-ups of her shoes. Again, it depends on what the network wants to make of the show now, but as far as creative control, if they want credibility discussing current events, politics, etc., they should give that kind of control to a credible journalist like Couric. I'm probably not the typical viewer, though. I'm not interested in another show focusing on celebrity scandals. I'd like more depth, and panelists who can discuss topics intelligently without producer-supplied notecards.
    Coco46 likes this.

FORT Fogey

Whoopi is an actress and comedian, but she's also pretty active in the world. She's gotten involved in political causes. When she had her radio show she talked about politics and current events. Creatively, she's done a lot of work that brings attention to causes she cares about. I think she has a vision of how to share with people a way to live an active and aware life. Those elements of her work, IMO, make her qualified to have some creative control beyond just being an actress and comedian.

FORT Fogey

All celebrities bring attention to causes they care about, and this is a TV show, not a UNICEF fund-raiser. I'm sure there are hundreds if not thousands of people who are more informed about politics and current events than Whoopi Goldberg, plus have the journalistic, political, or sociology background and training to put things in perspective for public consumption. As far as her "vision" of how people can live an aware and active life, I've never heard her express or promote any of that, but perhaps I missed it.

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    Well ABC was saying in their press releases yesterday that The View was going to go in a whole new direction in the fall...so maybe it will be more informative with people like Katie on the panel...or it will de-evolve into a complete TMZ gossipfest with a bunch of unlikeable witches who like to yell.
    If the show goes back to it's roots, then they need a news person/journalist. That seems to be the smart thing to do and to keep Whoopi happy. If it goes the route of gossip fest, then we'll continue to see Whoopi phoning it in and collecting a paycheck. She really doesn't seem to enjoy gossip and she loathes anything to do with reality shows. Sitting beside those intellectually-challenged women every day seems to be a real chore.
    ibot2much and law638 like this.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

I've read Rosie is back! I adore her, but wonder if this is a good decision. I just worry it's worth the risk of triggering her condition. She's doing so well. Why mess with it?

Rosie O

Maybe they could bring back Meredith, Joy, Rosie and Elizabeth......just kidding. I don't think they would do that, even if they could. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I've read Rosie is back! I adore her, but wonder if this is a good decision. I just worry it's worth the risk of triggering her condition. She's doing so well. Why mess with it?

Rosie O

Maybe they could bring back Meredith, Joy, Rosie and Elizabeth......just kidding. I don't think they would do that, even if they could. lol
    Nooooooooooooo. I don't want Rosie back. They truly need to move FORWARD!!!
    combatcutie, tango7 and law638 like this.

Yuck! no wont watch with Rosie on, never sure which one will show up
    combatcutie and AcookerTV like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I like Rosie but with her AND Whoopi the show really needs a conservative viewpoint or two to balance it out.
    Imperfect1 likes this.

I stopped watching the show when hasselbeck was running her face. sorry!
    Welcome to the party
    Team Ward

+ Reply to Thread