+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1525Likes

Thread: The View

Re: The View

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    It's my understanding that Katie didn't want to keep doing her show. I don't know if it got canceled or if she just elected to stop.
    Canceled, not renewed, "mutually" agreed there would not be a third season:

Katie Couric talk show canceled after two seasons* - NY Daily News

FORT Fogey

I just read that Bill Geddie is still on board, and that Whoopi will have a bigger say in creative control and who will be on the new panel. I suppose there will be loads of speculation between now and when the "new direction" begins.

Quote Originally Posted by tango7 View Post
    Canceled, not renewed, "mutually" agreed there would not be a third season:

Katie Couric talk show canceled after two seasons* - NY Daily News
    I suspect Katie had a lot to do with that. She was pretty vocal about her unhappiness with the direction of the show.

Bummer that Geddie will still be involved. That means there probably won't be any REAL change.

Frankly, I think Whoopi needs to go too. She's made no secret of the fact that she's just showing up for the paycheck. I think they need a new moderator in the vein of Meredith, who was the best moderator on the show.
    Imperfect1 and AlwaysVeg like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Yeah, if you like wallpaper paste.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Whoopi is definitely showing that she's there for the paycheck. However, I think her attitude started really showing around the time Barbara's retirement was announced. I think she was ready to leave at that time, and was told that if she'd stick around, she'd get creative control once Barbara was done. AlwaysVeg's info supports that. I think she's been phoning it in knowing something better was coming. I expect that when she's got more say next year, she will also show more energy. I hope so. If not, then she should go.
    tinderbox and AlwaysVeg like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysVeg View Post
    I just read that Bill Rancic, Ross Matthews and Mario Cantone have been auditioned, so maybe the new direction includes men on the panel.
    I can only handle Cantone in small doses, he really goes overboard
    bee stung lips and AlwaysVeg like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

If they add a man I say Stephen A Smith he is educated, he has the ability to interview without fawning and he will tell someone off in a hot minute if he believes they are wrong lol
    overseas likes this.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

I'm not really onboard for adding men to the panel mainly because I don't like the options often mentioned. I find Bill Rancic to be incredibly boring, Ross Matthews is okay yet his shtick would get old quick, and Mario Cantone is just so over the top and annoying. I'd rather they find someone that can be funny yet intelligent and analytical. None of those people have the qualities I would like to see.

I just hope The View stays with the political stories and current events. I like The Talk but I don't like how they seem to focus on celebrity stories.
    AcookerTV and AlwaysVeg like this.

I suspect Katie had a lot to do with that. She was pretty vocal about her unhappiness with the direction of the show.
    Vocal? Really? I never heard or read anything where Katie said she no longer wanted to do the talk show. So I don't see where that understanding came from. I have seen a lot about mediocre ratings and budget problems.

Back to topic (The View) - Bill R. is a bore imo, and both Ross and Mario are over the top (though funny). They can shut the whole thing down and not many people will care.
    Uncle David likes this.

FORT Fogey

My problem with Bill (aside from my firmly wanting them to not stray from it being a show of WOMEN) is the way he talks. He has a style that comes across as confident and firm in what he says. It works well for business. However, he doesn't move away from that style in conversations, and it can come across as sounding like he's talking down to people. While I don't think he's sexist, it sounds that way when he's talking to a panel of women. Day in and day out I think it would become a problem.

+ Reply to Thread