+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1435Likes

Thread: The View

FORT Fogey

Re: The View

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    For Bill Rancic to pretend his wife is not driven by fame and money is laughable. He and his wife's reality show was actually a public service announcement for the public's benefit. Right. lol They aren't like some reality show stars who are in it for the wrong reasons. Right. lol
    Thank you, Debb. I like Bill on the panel, but I find the G&B show unwatchable (after a few failed attempts). I find G pretentious and shallow as all hell, although of course I'm sorry for what she went through with infertility and breast cancer. No one deserves that. Their show has no redeeming social value ... sorry, Bill. I can't play pretend with you. Apparently I'm in the minority, going by everything I've seen on the G&B thread here on FORT. It seems to be a well-liked show with a lot of G&B fans. To me it's just watching two incredibly self-indulgent, self-entitled rich people and their son who will no doubt turn out just like them.

FORT Fogey

I can understand what Bill is saying, but think he went too far, attempting to make them way too noble. When their show first started, I think it was an attempt to raise Guilliana's star power. She was just another face at E!, while co-hosting with Ryan Seacrest who had real star power. Doing a reality show allowed Guilliana to stand out from all the other women who had anchored on E! and increase her stature next to Ryan. It worked -- but it was entirely done for fame and not some sort of public service. After her infertilty issues and breast cancer, many people would have chosen to walk away from the reality show and deal with private matters privately. They chose not to. I do believe that part of that was to be a voice to show other women going through similar things that they were not alone. I give them credit for that. That being said, by choosing to share that with other people, it also raised her star power more (and got the show moved from the Style Network to E) which benefitted her ego and earnings. I guess I see this kind of like a politician saying he/she was drawn into running for office by a desire to serve the public. That may be an element of it ... but the power and money play into the choice to be a politician instead of a Red Cross volunteer. Bill and Gulianna have helped some people by being so open about their challenges ... but they've benefitted from helping themselves at the same time.
    tinderbox likes this.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    I can understand what Bill is saying, but think he went too far, attempting to make them way too noble. When their show first started, I think it was an attempt to raise Guilliana's star power. She was just another face at E!, while co-hosting with Ryan Seacrest who had real star power. Doing a reality show allowed Guilliana to stand out from all the other women who had anchored on E! and increase her stature next to Ryan. It worked -- but it was entirely done for fame and not some sort of public service. After her infertilty issues and breast cancer, many people would have chosen to walk away from the reality show and deal with private matters privately. They chose not to. I do believe that part of that was to be a voice to show other women going through similar things that they were not alone. I give them credit for that. That being said, by choosing to share that with other people, it also raised her star power more (and got the show moved from the Style Network to E) which benefitted her ego and earnings. I guess I see this kind of like a politician saying he/she was drawn into running for office by a desire to serve the public. That may be an element of it ... but the power and money play into the choice to be a politician instead of a Red Cross volunteer. Bill and Gulianna have helped some people by being so open about their challenges ... but they've benefitted from helping themselves at the same time.
    Well said, AcookerTV.

I am one of the G&B fans who totally enjoys both G&B and their show. That doesn't mean that I don't think they're in it for the fame and money. Of course they are, they're earning a living and this is one of the ways that they do it. But I also think that their show is one of the more pleasant, light hearted reality shows that lets the viewers have a peek into their lives. And they're intelligent, educated, worldly people enjoying GREAT lives. I very much enjoy watching them, and I do admire them both for all of the charity work that they do. Yes, G is silly and superficial sometimes, but so what? That doesn't bother me a bit. At the end of watching a G&B episode I feel GOOD. At the end of an episode of shows like "The Bad Girls Club" or "Honey Boo Boo" I feel like UGH! That's the difference, for me.
    justCoz, tinderbox and AcookerTV like this.

Was Bill just a guest host for the day? I hope so. I'm not a fan of him or his wife.

Are they interviewing for replacements yet? I heard Barbara say before she left that it was very unlikely they would bring a male to the panel.

FORT Fogey

Bill was still on the panel today, as was Ross. McSteamy was a guest, and they showed that famous scene.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysVeg View Post
    Bill was still on the panel today, as was Ross. McSteamy was a guest, and they showed that famous scene.
    My guess is they taped two shows on Thursday.

I thought Bill and Ross did well as guest hosts. It's nice to have the viewpoint from men once in a while.
    AlwaysVeg likes this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I love me some Ross!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

On today's show with Bill Maher as guest, Sherri asked him his opinion, after discussing whether teachers should have concealed weapons in the classroom and gun control issues, he answered by stating he believed in 2nd amendment rights. At that point, Sherri had a deer-in-the-headlights look on her face as she appeared to have no idea what he was talking about, not knowing that the 2nd amendment refers to the right to bear arms and that he WAS answering her question. Thankfully, someone else quickly jumped in and diverted the conversation away from Sherri. She seemed to be shell-shocked and silent for a while after that. Hopefully she learned not to talk about a subject that you know nothing about, but I doubt it.
    Imperfect1 likes this.

FORT Fogey

I saw that discussion in a different light. First, Bill did not say he believed in the second amendment. He said he believed the second amendment should be repealed. I think that Sherri's face was not due to a lack of understanding. I think it was surprise that Bill was going to such an extreme approach ... evidenced by only a couple of people in the audience clapping in support.
    AlwaysVeg likes this.

that doesnt sound like the views audience at all

+ Reply to Thread