+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1603Likes

Thread: The View

Re: The View

I'm sorry I missed that scene. It sounds rather wacky and funny!

FORT Fogey

That Joan Rivers phone call was pretty bizarre, with she and Barbara fighting for the right to speak. Barbara obviously is not accustomed to being told, in effect, to shut up and "let me talk"! It was the Clash of the Elderly Divas. I think Joan is losing her mind a little, just the way she defended her remark about the women who were held captive and raped all those years. Some things just should not be used as the subject of a joke. She said because all the women survived and are doing fine, in her opinion, that makes it okay. Would she joke about Elizabeth Smart's horrible ordeal, too?

On a lighter note, the dress that Jenny was wearing was one of the ugliest I've ever seen.

The View is presenting repeats all this week. I was sooo looking forward to hearing what Barbara had to say today (i.e. bragging) in regard to securing the V. Stiviano interview shown on 20/20 last Friday, as well as her attending the White House Correspondents Dinner this weekend. Alas, it will all have to wait until they return next week---her last week! Can't wait.

I missed any Joan Rivers phone call. Is it online somewhere? Would love to hear it.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

My on-screen tv guide is showing all new shows for this week. Looks like there will be several repeats next week, though.

I thought Joan Rivers was out of order about the women who had been held captive all of those years. Wonder how she would have felt if it had been HER daughter in the same situation?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Joan is a comedian. She did not mean the remark in malice - she meant it as a joke. Given that she's made jokes about her own husband's suicide, which has to rank as one of the greatest tragedies of her life, I tend to think that if her daughter were in such a situation, in time, she'd find a way to joke about it. Obviously some are not going to find the humor in the situation that Joan does. Comedy is subjective. But I admire Joan for standing behind what she said rather than trying to run away from it and beg for approval.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by annifran View Post
    The View is presenting repeats all this week. I was sooo looking forward to hearing what Barbara had to say today (i.e. bragging) in regard to securing the V. Stiviano interview shown on 20/20 last Friday, as well as her attending the White House Correspondents Dinner this weekend. Alas, it will all have to wait until they return next week---her last week! Can't wait.

I missed any Joan Rivers phone call. Is it online somewhere? Would love to hear it.
    She did talk about that and showed excerpts. Don't know about the correspondents' dinner -- I didn't watch the whole show.

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    Joan is a comedian. She did not mean the remark in malice - she meant it as a joke. Given that she's made jokes about her own husband's suicide, which has to rank as one of the greatest tragedies of her life, I tend to think that if her daughter were in such a situation, in time, she'd find a way to joke about it. Obviously some are not going to find the humor in the situation that Joan does. Comedy is subjective. But I admire Joan for standing behind what she said rather than trying to run away from it and beg for approval.

I doubt that the victims find it funny. Jokes should be funny. I doubt that the victims will ever find what happened to them funny. Some things should just be left alone unless the people who were involved want to "go there".
    Florimel likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

I agree with you that the victims don't find it funny - that's why they spoke out against it. But as I said, comedy is subjective. Some people are able to find ways to laugh about tragedy, while others do not. Personally, I think the very best thing about comedy is the ability to find ways to laugh at horrible situations, because to me, it's a sign of survival. The joke was funny ... to some people. Why should those who did not find it funny have the power to shut that down for everyone? As I said, Joan cracks jokes about her husband's suicide. Clearly, that shows that she's a person who finds the ability to survive a tragedy by finding ways to laugh about it. While it is a nice sentiment to say the victims should be allowed to determine whether or not people should go there, I don't think that is realistic. How would you apply that rule to tragedies that involve hundreds of people? What happens when some say "laugh about it" while others say not to? Comedians write and tell jokes. Some work, some don't. People who consistently find a person funny continue to support that person. People who are not moved by a brand of humor don't support that person. I have no problem with that. But I do have a problem with those who don't find it funny believing they some how have a power to make that decision for all. People who find Joan Rivers crass and tasteless should not support her, but leave those of us who do find her funny alone to laugh.
    bee stung lips likes this.

I do like Joan and, usually, her jokes. Some things are just wrong. Rape is not funny. There is something wrong with people who think it is.

FORT Fogey

Then I guess there is something wrong with me, because I've heard a couple of people, most notably Amy Schumer, tell rape jokes I found funny. It's a very difficult thing to do, which is why only the most skilled wordsmiths can pull it off. Amy's skill with words was made more obvious this week when the speech she gave at the Ms Gala went viral - a speech that is clearly about lifting women up and encouraging them. I'm not sure why a woman who will work to enpower women like that should be declared to have something wrong with her. I'm not sure why someone like Joan Rivers who has worked so tirelessly to break down barriers for women should be declared to have something wrong with her. But then again, I also don't think there is a single topic on the earth that should categorically be declared a joke free zone. Comedy can be a powerful way to enable people to talk about difficult subjects with more honesty. When certain subjects are declared off limits, I think there's much more damage done by the lack of discussion and therefore progress, than there is to know that some people find offense rather than humor.

+ Reply to Thread