+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1557Likes

Thread: The View

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2177625;
    Considering the definition of Indian Summer is

A period of mild weather occurring in late autumn.
    A pleasant, tranquil, or flourishing period occurring near the end of something: the Indian summer of the administration.

.... people are hard-pressed to make that into a negative thing. I've never ever heard people relate that to a negative stereotype such as "indecisive."

Indian giver is another story, however. That one I can certainly understand.
    What can I say...there is also the connotation of, not something you can count on, not the "real fall", something deceptive that lures you back into your summer clothes and waps you with a snowstorm on the way home. I think that was the focus of her feeling rather than the dictionary definition. The untrustworthy Indian idea.
    As to the origins....we have any linguists amongst us?
    Glad to hear Rosie's facing up. As to the ching chong thing...I"ve heard it, rarely, and mostly from, frankly, very racist acquaintances...the kind of people who are always surprised that someone with a Chinese ancestry speaks English with a NY accent, the kind of people who always ask "where are you from?" if you don't look WASP or black.
    I loved on Ugly Betty when she was asked that and said "Queens".
    ETA...just looked up Indian summer on Wikipedia...interesting discussion of possible derivations!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_summer
    Last edited by PWS; 12-14-2006 at 03:36 PM.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2177734;
    Today, on the show, Rosie did address the Asian reference. She apologized, saying that she truly didn't know it was offensive.
    Good for her. I'm glad to hear that it was addressed.

PWS, I love Wales and still have photos I took in Cardiff. It's such a beautiful area and I used to love trying to figure out the accents!

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2177813;
    Good for her. I'm glad to hear that it was addressed.

PWS, I love Wales and still have photos I took in Cardiff. It's such a beautiful area and I used to love trying to figure out the accents!
    I thought it was beautiful as well (also the guys...wow...but I've always had a thing for the pale skin, dark hair combination--like what a lot of people call the black Irish), but boy, if you look at the soil it is about a half inch deep before you get to rock and shale. I once ordered the "traditional" Welsh meal there...of winkles and laverbread ...winkles are teeensy little snaily shellfish (periwinkles) that you need a nutpick to get meat out of..hence the phrase, to winkle something out of someone...takes a lot of effort for a tiny tiny bite... and the bread was made of seaweed, and not a good tasting kind--very nutritious tho I hear. No wonder my ancestors left!
    Figuring out the accents...how about figuring out how to pronounce the names of the towns! My kids loved that they had cartoons on TV in Welsh--trying to preserve the language.
    But enough threadjack... good on Rosie.

Rosie leaving???

I was channel surfing last night on the news networks and they were discussing the View and mentioned that Rosie has managed to raise the ratings 27% but that Rosie was on her way out, that she will be leaving soon. Anybody know for sure???
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

The network was reporting old news....Rosie's insisting that she loves her job and she's not going anywhere and Barbara has said the same thing.

The rumor started because there is talk that they're going to create a Nip/Tuck spinoff involving her character. Rosie said that anything that she wants to do with that show can be done during her summer hiatus.

Just looked back through the thread and you can see Rosie's response in post#999.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

I heard something else about Rosie hosting The Price Is Right. She could never do that cause she would always let everyone win.

I love that Hot Topics is so much longer now. It was hilarious the other day with Sherry Shepard but that Martha Stewart was just kinda humoring her and pretty much acted like she wasn't even there.

Quote Originally Posted by VanJagSol;2183685;
    I heard something else about Rosie hosting The Price Is Right. She could never do that cause she would always let everyone win.
    If you take a look at rosies blog, she admits that she would love to host The Price is Right, but that they are no interested in her to fill the role.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Loved it when Rosie swept her hair over the top and imitated the Donald!!! Tht was priceless!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Weirdness. Bawa wasn't there for Hillary today. She's usually there just to interview the big celebs and all( and further kiss up to them...) so im wondering what was her excuse?
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

That is strange that Baba wasn't there with Hillary. I DVR'd it but haven't watched it yet. I am just glad that Dubya came on at 10 a.m. instead of his usual 11 a.m. slot. I would have been upset if he had pre-empted the View again, especially today.

+ Reply to Thread