+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1458Likes

Thread: The View

FORT Fogey

Re: The View

I don't like having a guy on the panel, as long as it's handled like it is right now. The show is not called the Women's View, but if you go back to the original opening and the original intent for the show, Barbara did say in the intro way back when "I've always wanted to have a show with women of all different points of view". So the original design was for it to be all women. The topics they discuss, and the audience they focus on is women. If they want to totally re-vamp the show and have a more diverse panel, I'd be okay with that. But then I think they should really go for diversity. Instead of having a token man, have a few men. Go for people who are married, single, gay, straight, various races, etc. At the same time, diversify the topics they talk about. Instead of making it all pop culture and gossip, talk about things men care about too. Talk about BCS rankings, and politics, and cars, and video games. Talk about parenting. Talk about divorces and child support. If they are going to go for diversity, go all in. If not, recognize what the show was designed to be - a show with women of all different points of view, and go back to that. Because the point that has been made here is true -- two ditzy women, Barbara and a guest is not varying points of view. It's a mess.
    Baby's Breath and AlwaysVeg like this.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Sherri almost gets smacked in the face due to Barbara's excessive hand-gesturing, and she looks none too pleased...LOL

Barbara Walters Almost Smacks Sherri Shepherd On 'The View' (VIDEO)

Okay Babs...it's time for you to go now. And who is she kidding that women aren't hard on each other?
    JunkieGirl likes this.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

FORT Fogey

Sherri certainly looked ticked off! I'm not sure if that was due to almost being hit, or the fact that Barbara cut her off for the second time! When Joe made his point, Sherri was the first to speak up. Barbara cut her off, and Sherri politely stopped talking. When Babs was done, Sherri spoke up again ... and was cut off again! For someone who hates when the women talk over each other, Barbara sure does talk over everyone A LOT. It's also kind of funny that she wanted the show to be women of differnt view points, but when Sherri tried to do her job and express a different viewpoint, Barbara wouldn't let her talk.
    bee stung lips and tinderbox like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    Sherri certainly looked ticked off! I'm not sure if that was due to almost being hit, or the fact that Barbara cut her off for the second time! When Joe made his point, Sherri was the first to speak up. Barbara cut her off, and Sherri politely stopped talking. When Babs was done, Sherri spoke up again ... and was cut off again! For someone who hates when the women talk over each other, Barbara sure does talk over everyone A LOT. It's also kind of funny that she wanted the show to be women of differnt view points, but when Sherri tried to do her job and express a different viewpoint, Barbara wouldn't let her talk.
    Isn't it though? Wow...such irony. Barbara comes across like a very controlling person. Sherri's good...because there's no way in or out of hell I'd be able to put up with Barbara cutting me off like that. No way in hell.

Sherri holds her tongue for fear of getting "Star Jonesed".

Considering Elizabeth endured the same treatment from Barbara, I'm sure she's probably thanking her lucky stars she's gone from that place.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    AlwaysVeg likes this.

FORT Fogey

My impression of Barbara is that she's not so much controlling as lacking in self-awareness. I don't entirely blame her for that. She's had A LOT of years of being treated as the grand dame of media, deservedly so. But in that treatment, people are going to resist being truthful about flaws with her. It's hard to be a person in her position and find people who will tell you things you don't want to hear. So when you never hear them, you can start to believe you're flawless. And when you start believing that, you stop looking for ways to improve.
    Shoepie and bee stung lips like this.

My impression of Barbara is that she's not so much controlling as lacking in self-awareness. I don't entirely blame her for that. She's had A LOT of years of being treated as the grand dame of media, deservedly so. But in that treatment, people are going to resist being truthful about flaws with her. It's hard to be a person in her position and find people who will tell you things you don't want to hear. So when you never hear them, you can start to believe you're flawless. And when you start believing that, you stop looking for ways to improve.
    That pretty much sums it up. Too bad she doesn't realize the disservice she's doing by behaving this way.

Shoepie likes this.

FORT Fogey

I agree but I don't think she is deserving of the title grand dame. She was in the right place at the right time thanks to her father and his connections. The media carried her along. If she had competition I am not sure she would be where she is now. I remember my mother and aunt thinking she was fabulous. I was too young to care but as I got older and actually took a look at her work I thought she was boring and ridgid.

My son and DIL like her, they said they thought she was so sweet and genuine. I controlled myself pretty well and kept the conversation short. 2 days later I texted "Nancy Grace is such a sweetheart." That was met with incredulity, of course. I texted back, "now you understand my reaction to Barbara."

FORT Fogey

I'm mixed on where I think Barbara's proper place in broadcast history is. I agree with you that she was in the right place at the right time, rather than getting where she did because of incredible talent, or a unique approach to the job. But at the same time, being a "pioneer" for women, she had to endure a lot. There's no question that now, there are women (and men) who do the job much better than she does. That's why they keep getting new opportunties, while Barbara's opportunities are shrinking. But I still think she deserves SOME level of respect for enduring what she had to. It DID pave a way for other women ... though that road would have been paved by someone else had she not done it. I give her credit for putting up with things like the way Harry Reasoner treated her. But that does not put her on an untouchable status, or put her in a category where no other woman can stand. Her accomplishment was being insulted and showing up at work the next day. When I look at the accomplishments of women like Margaret Thatcher, Malala, and Mother Theresa, I'm more in awe of what they did IN the job (or life) they had. Barbara showed strength, but strength and greatness are not the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post

My son and DIL like her, they said they thought she was so sweet and genuine. I controlled myself pretty well and kept the conversation short. 2 days later I texted "Nancy Grace is such a sweetheart." That was met with incredulity, of course. I texted back, "now you understand my reaction to Barbara."
    LOL...that'll work!

Shoepie likes this.

FORT Fogey

I'm mixed on where I think Barbara's proper place in broadcast history is. I agree with you that she was in the right place at the right time, rather than getting where she did because of incredible talent, or a unique approach to the job. But at the same time, being a "pioneer" for women, she had to endure a lot. There's no question that now, there are women (and men) who do the job much better than she does. That's why they keep getting new opportunties, while Barbara's opportunities are shrinking. But I still think she deserves SOME level of respect for enduring what she had to. It DID pave a way for other women ... though that road would have been paved by someone else had she not done it. I give her credit for putting up with things like the way Harry Reasoner treated her. But that does not put her on an untouchable status, or put her in a category where no other woman can stand. Her accomplishment was being insulted and showing up at work the next day. When I look at the accomplishments of women like Margaret Thatcher, Malala, and Mother Theresa, I'm more in awe of what they did IN the job (or life) they had. Barbara showed strength, but strength and greatness are not the same thing.
    Bess Myerson would have been the best and most popular choice. She was skilled and loved by everyone, drop dead gorgeous, too. AND she was able to pronounce her "Rs." Seriously, a woman with a speech impediment getting the first ever slot on major TV? Right there you know there was pressure to hire her. Bess had no political pull. Well, corrupt pull is more like it. Bab's dad was linked with the underground. I guess he made them an offer they couldn't refuse. I have no respect for her. None. She is an arrogant, unaware, humorless square.

+ Reply to Thread