+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1528Likes

Thread: The View

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoutMom;2176825;
    It just seems to be that in today's society, people don't want to take any responsibility for anything. I don't care what the issue is - if you've inadvertently said/done something that is hurtful to another person/group, then 'fess up! Apologize. I'm sick and tired of hearing all the excuses about why someone did/said something - they were abused, neglected, teased, ad nauseum. Stand up and take responsibility. Say you were wrong and that you're sorry. Nobody is perfect; we all make mistakes. (I think I'm finished ranting now.)
    I also agree with this 100%. But I'll add, I think it can be applied to both sides of this "controversy". (I put that in quotes, because I have observed that beyond viewers of a few entertainment shows, it doesn't appear to be much of a controversy) Not only do people not want to take responsibilty for anything, but they want to be treated gently and with care 100% of the time. Too many people will take anything that goes against their way of thinking - a word or phrase, a way of thinking that differs from theirs, whatever - as a direct attack on them. They'll justify their response with explanations of being abused, neglected, teased, etc. People are going to do, say, and think things that you don't agree with. That's not always an attack on you, and does not need to be treated that way in each instance.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    I don't watch this show enough to know, but has anyone noticed less tolerance from the panel with its minority members gone? (I'm talking about Lisa Ling and Star Jones). I kind of liked the idea of having women of different ages and ethnic backgrounds on the show to give it a different point of view. But perhaps it's the same as it's always been?

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    It just seems to be that in today's society, people don't want to take any responsibility for anything. I don't care what the issue is - if you've inadvertently said/done something that is hurtful to another person/group, then 'fess up! Apologize. I'm sick and tired of hearing all the excuses about why someone did/said something - they were abused, neglected, teased, ad nauseum. Stand up and take responsibility. Say you were wrong and that you're sorry. Nobody is perfect; we all make mistakes. (I think I'm finished ranting now.)
    Right, just say you didn't know and apologize. I once used the phrase "Indian summer" and a Native American friend told me that it was a phrase that was really offensive to Native Americans (the whole "unreliable" aspect of the derivation). Once I'd heard that, it was one of those "duh" experiences, and I've tried not to use it again. Similarly "welshing on a bet", "gypping someone", etc.
    Nobody's supposed to be perfect; we are expected to learn from our mistakes. And a "role model" like Rosie, who does expect others to learn from theirs, should be setting a good example.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PWS;2176875;
    Right, just say you didn't know and apologize. I once used the phrase "Indian summer" and a Native American friend told me that it was a phrase that was really offensive to Native Americans (the whole "unreliable" aspect of the derivation). Once I'd heard that, it was one of those "duh" experiences, and I've tried not to use it again. Similarly "welshing on a bet", "gypping someone", etc.
    I am so glad you mentioned this. I didn't know any of this. Now I do!

And duh, I thought it was "welching out" like in Welch's grape juice! Not that that makes any sense...but then neither do I, usually!

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    Double Americans are forgiving, especially of celebrities.

As much trouble as Rosie ws willing to give Kelly Ripa, Rosie should at least apologize for a misunderstanding.

Wow, Indian summer is offensive? I did not know that.

Back to Rosie, it could be argued that she is a minority, since she's gay. But still, I wish we could, as a culture, just lighten up. My biggest problem with political correctness -- at least the extremes to which it's been taken -- is that it doesn't recognize intent, which is one of the most important aspects of communication.

Someone who's making fun of a minority, who's being mean-spirited and bigoted deserves to be scolded because the intent was to hurt. Someone who's perhaps insensitive but ultimately well-meaning might be gently corrected, but shouldn't suffer the same social penalty as the first offender.

And someone who's just joking ... well, let them just joke.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar
    today's show was pretty funny ... loved seeing bette midler on there. and i guess rosie, elisabeth, and joy were in the cash cab!!! it's supposed to air tomorrow ... so check your listings!!

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by candor;2177151;
    Wow, Indian summer is offensive? I did not know that.

Ditto "Indian giver" for the same reason. That's more obvious I think tho...like "Jewing someone down"... pretty obvious you would offend people with that.
    Lois_Lane--I think a lot of people think it's spelled welch...I see it in my students' writing that way a lot. I'm half Welsh though, so I was always aware of that one. My kids' "traditional nursery rhymes" book has one that begins
    Taffy was a Welshman,
    Taffy was a thief,
    Taffy came to my house,
    and stole a side of beef

and goes on from there with all the criminal things Taffy does (Taffy is supposed to be a Welsh version of David or Davey)--an ethnically typed name. Of course only the Brits still know this...in the States if I ask my class what country a Welshman comes from they have NO clue. If it weren't for Diana, Princess of Wales, they'd never have heard the word... and I bet half of them think she was the Princess of Whales. Or Wails.
    But back to Rosie, and other celebs, still think they should take the live and learn way out of these little faux-pas.

Considering the definition of Indian Summer is

A period of mild weather occurring in late autumn.
    A pleasant, tranquil, or flourishing period occurring near the end of something: the Indian summer of the administration.

.... people are hard-pressed to make that into a negative thing. I've never ever heard people relate that to a negative stereotype such as "indecisive."

Indian giver is another story, however. That one I can certainly understand.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    That makes me want to know who coined the phrase "Indian Summer", and what was their intent.

Today, on the show, Rosie did address the Asian reference. She apologized, saying that she truly didn't know it was offensive. 2 Asian women in the audience said that they thought it was funny, while someone else related a story about a childhood school friend of hers thought it was offensive, having been teased (to tears) with "ching-chong" on the schoolyard. Rosie seemed to be taking the live and learn approach.

Personally, I've never heard the term.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread