+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1525Likes

Thread: The View

I'm 50/50 on this. She, and many others, have used "filler words" for the French language before, like "oui oui, si si" (I remember from her show days) and nobody has ever said anything about it. Is it because Chinese are a more visible minority?

The use of the distorted phrases is insulting to the Chinese and Chinese-Americans, and gives the impression that they are a group that is substandard to English-speaking people."
    I disagree with this statement. From what I read, she was not imitating Asian Americans, thus poking fun at their substandard English (AAJA words not mine), she was "imitating" chinese journalists in China.

Still, I can see why some are offended.

ETA:
    Most people of Asian background grew up hearing these offensive words when people wanted to make fun of them. It's not an inoffensive phrase and, from what I understand, it's as offensive to Asian-Americans (Asian-Canadians etc.) as the "n" word is to African-Americans
    I did not know it was a slur or offensive to Asian-Americans/Canadians. If so, then she was totally wrong. I personally never heard someone calling an Asian ching-chong.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    I think the difference is that "ching chong" is a derogatory phrase, whereas I don't think "oui oui" is considered in a negative light. Those are actual French words, whereas ching chong doesn't mean anything in the Chinese language.
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 12-11-2006 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nilesgirl;2175007;
    See, this is why I don't watch anymore! I'm fed up with these celebrities that think they can get away with making horrible comments like that and get away with it just because they're celebrities! You would think they would work hard to stay clear of stuff like that in order to keep their fan base! The more they make comments like that, the more their fans will turn on them. Shame on you Rosie! That's one kind of "humor" this world can do without!
    I'm with you on the level of emotion here. I find this really shameful, and the thing that bothers me about it is that it makes me feel like this is something she would say at home without a second thought. It conjures up images of old cartoons and other horribly racist depictions of Asians in broadcast media. I can't believe she wouldn't apologize for this, especially when you consider how hyper-sensitive she is about "her" issues.

Shame on you, Rosie! That sums it up for me, too.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I was shocked when I heard it broadcast live, and just as surprised that no one else said anything about it. It is hypocritical of her considering her stance with Kelly Ripa or anyone for that matter, but hopefully she will learn that it is offensive and either apologize or refrain from like comments in the future. It just isn't funny.

[begin rant] However, I would not take the word of a horrific Republican rag like the New York Post for any perspective on this subject. They are a notorious troublemaking gossipy biased shell of a supposed newspaper. [/end rant]
    Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have.

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose;2175051;

ETA: I did not know it was a slur or offensive to Asian-Americans/Canadians. If so, then she was totally wrong. I personally never heard someone calling an Asian ching-chong.
    Neither did i. In general, i bet she wasn't even aware that what she said would be offensive.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose;2175051;
    I did not know it was a slur or offensive to Asian-Americans/Canadians. If so, then she was totally wrong. I personally never heard someone calling an Asian ching-chong.
    Why would you know those words? You're not a racist and probably hang around decent people.

Growing up in Chicago wtih a lot of ethnic friends, I saw and heard all kinds of things. I remember not thinking it was a big deal until I saw my friend cry. Usually it went like this--some bully kid (and a lot of adult males--SHAME ON THEM!) would see my friend (who was I think 7 or 8 at this time), pull their eyes up with their fingers, make the "ching-chong" noise, and then call her a "goo" and a "chin" (add a "k" after both those words--I just don't want to write them 'cause I find them really offensive. I shouldn't take such relish in this but one time, a bully made the mistake of doing that around her big brother who beat the snot out of him. (The brother, in turn, was punished by his parents, who said that violence isn't the way to deal with bullies. As a 7-year-old though, I thought it was pretty cool!)

Anyhow, so yeah, when I heard Rosie say this, I just wanted to smack the smugness from her.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee;2176728;
    Neither did i. In general, i bet she wasn't even aware that what she said would be offensive.
    I honestly don't think she cares. If she did, she would've at least made an attempt to apologize or at least explain her behavior.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2176773;
    Why would you know those words? You're not a racist and probably hang around decent people.
    But there are other words which are used in a racist, hateful way (the n word being one of the most obvious) that are known, even to people who are not racist and who hang around decent people. I think it's a very relevant point to recognize that while ching chong IS hurtful and a racist slur used to put down Asian people, knowledge of that use is not as widely known or recognized as some other words and phrases that are used in the same fashion. Whether or not Rosie was aware of it, I have no way of knowing. But as I said, from the clip I saw, it did not appear that she was using the words in a hateful or vindictive manner. I think that context and intent DOES matter when dealing with issues of being offensive, and I think it is relevant that Rosie was not intending to do any harm here.

That said, I also think it's very true that Rosie does not give the benefit of the doubt in considering context and intent when judging others that she considers offensive. It'd be nice if this incident would help her to re-consider that.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2176804;
    I think it's a very relevant point to recognize that while ching chong IS hurtful and a racist slur used to put down Asian people, knowledge of that use is not as widely known or recognized as some other words and phrases that are used in the same fashion.
    I have several thoughts on this. One of the complaints I've heard from Asian Americans is that they don't have a strong voice in this country--something their leaders are dilligently working on. Part of that is because they have no recognizable leader, such as the Rev. Jesse Jackson, to champion their cause. One of the reasons we're so aware of offenses against African Americans is because people like Jackson make it a point to make it known to the rest of America. Asian Americans aren't there yet.

Another is that while I would never expect you to realize that ching chong is a hurtful phrase, I don't hold Rosie O'Donnell to the same standards BECAUSE she is so quick to chastise anyone she believes is denigrating people she holds dear to her. In her position with the View, and as a former editor with ROSIE magazine, I expect her to be more culturally aware and culturally sensitive and realize that what she says can have an impact on other people. It would be nice if, after this backlash, she at least acknowledged the controversy. She could've said something as simple as what you said--that she hadn't realized that it had the same impact to those of Asian American descent as the "n" word might have to African Americans -- that she hadn't meant any offense and that she apologizes for what she had meant as a joke. Her silence speaks volumes to me--and none of it is good.

It just seems to be that in today's society, people don't want to take any responsibility for anything. I don't care what the issue is - if you've inadvertently said/done something that is hurtful to another person/group, then 'fess up! Apologize. I'm sick and tired of hearing all the excuses about why someone did/said something - they were abused, neglected, teased, ad nauseum. Stand up and take responsibility. Say you were wrong and that you're sorry. Nobody is perfect; we all make mistakes. (I think I'm finished ranting now.)

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutMom;2176825;
    It just seems to be that in today's society, people don't want to take any responsibility for anything. I don't care what the issue is - if you've inadvertently said/done something that is hurtful to another person/group, then 'fess up! Apologize. I'm sick and tired of hearing all the excuses about why someone did/said something - they were abused, neglected, teased, ad nauseum. Stand up and take responsibility. Say you were wrong and that you're sorry. Nobody is perfect; we all make mistakes. (I think I'm finished ranting now.)
    Rant all you want! You are sooooooooo right!

+ Reply to Thread