+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1435Likes

Thread: The View

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: The View

Anthony Weiner looks like one of the Angry Birds, especially in profile. I sure hope his son takes his looks after his beautiful wife, more so than his dad.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Somebody, please flush.
    That about sums it up! I realize it's early on (and I didn't think much of Michael Strahan at first and now I like him more than Kelly), but I just don't see what JM brings to the show. She doesn't have much of a fan base in terms of the demographic of this show, is not politically astute, has no background of professional accomplishment (Playboy playmate of the year?) or credibility in any particular area that would contribute to the show. I just don't get the choice. They definitely need someone who fits one or more of those criteria on the panel. I would think that Barbara, who fancies herself the greatest female journalist to ever come down the pike, would want at least one woman on this show who is informed about current events and expresses herself intelligently. Remember Meredith Viera and Lisa Ling? Whoopi is a smart lady, but she is not bringing her A-game to this show, or maybe the environment and low expectations are dumbing her down.
    Imperfect1 likes this.

I only watched to day to see Valerie Harper, but I noticed once again we have a welcome to the show Jenny. It's too much, way way too much.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

I think that Barbara and the other producers of the show got caught up in the hype machine, and lost sight of the original purpose of the show. It all started when they cast Rosie O'Donnell. I THINK I remember hearing back then that Rosie and Barbara got to know each other through adoption events, and really liked each other. Rosie expressed an interest in being on the show, and Barbara took the chance. It was the first big name they had put on the show, and they enjoyed a lot more hype and attention than they had in the past because of it. Then, there were all the fights and rants, and The View was changed significantly. Whoopi brings A LOT to the show, but in many ways, she was also cast because she was a known name that would generate buzz. Sherri slipped in as a lesser known name because she came on the same time as Whoopi. Jenny doesn't bring a lot of intelligence in discussions or a different point of view (or even a lot of female enpowerment) but she was a known name that would generate "what will she say next!" buzz. I think that's why she got the job. The casting choices they've made are really not that different than the evolution of judges on American Idol. The idea with that show started as having one producer, one performer, and one record exec in order to have input from all aspects of the music world. Just like he original hosts of the View, most people had no idea who the Idol judges were origionally, or only knew one as a has-been. Then, they got excited by the buzz generated by adding big names to the show. As last season showed us, the product took a dive because they chose buzz over the core idea of the show. This season of The View will be the same as the Nikki and Mariah year of Idol. The big question is next year, can they see the error of their ways and right the ship with pepole who go back to the original idea of the show? Or will they continue to chase the hype machine sacrificing the product.

FORT Fogey

I appreciate your insights, Acooker TV. I just didn't think there were that many people who care what Jenny McCarthy is going to say next, or at all.
    tango7 likes this.

FORT Fogey

I don't think there really are. If there were, wouldn't her VH1 show have been a hit, and she'd still be doing that solo rather than joining The View.
    prhoshay likes this.

I think once BW retires, that will be the end of the show.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I don't get the "I'm really bright," Jenny McCarthy. I think she makes a better show GUEST than a regular. I don't see her bringing what Rosie brought to the show because she doesn't have Rosie's brain power. I think/hope they are still going to add somebody smart who will elevate the show's general IQ. The show did seem to help Sherri; I've seen improvement in her since she started, but I fear she may use Jenny's presence to dumb it down again.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

I think that Jenny probably does very well reading things, memorizing them, and being able to re-iterate them. But I thnk she's rather weak in critical thinking. When something matters to her, she'll research it and do work to help it. But she's merely accepting points of view that other people have, and accepting them as fact. Because she memorizes well, she gets confidence thinking she's smart. But many people with strong critical thinking skills (like Whoopi) will usually see big holes in what she argues, and he's unable to defend those holes because she doesn't fully understand what she's arguing.
    prhoshay likes this.

I totally agree with you. I LOVE a good discussion/debate and I just don't see it happening with her. It's like Whoopi is just a swimmer out there, just floating right now, but making no real effort to actually swim.....if that analogy makes sense. It does to me...but this , frequently, is standing alone.
    Last edited by prhoshay; 09-11-2013 at 09:01 AM.

+ Reply to Thread