+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1528Likes

Thread: The View

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Seems like Elisabeth has picked up some maturity.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2172195;
    well, she's become close friends with rosie so she appears to have lightened up with her right wing views ...

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2172195;

I've noticed recently that she seems to have learned the art of debate. She is more soft spoken and doesn't get so upset. I wonder if part of it is that Rosie (mostly) acts as a moderator and makes sure that she (Elizabeth) gets a chance to speak without being interrupted. Now if they could just calm Joy down, it would be a great debate.

I heard yesterday that Rosie wants The Price is Right.

By the way, move West where W is done talking by the time The View is on.

Quote Originally Posted by GabbyG;2172316;
    I heard yesterday that Rosie wants The Price is Right.
    Now that I could see happening. What a great idea, except where I live, TPIR is on at the same time as The View. Wonder if she could pull double duty like Meredith did on Millionaire.
    Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Rosie O'Donnell a racist?

Let it be said that I have no love lost for Rosie O'Donnell. I don't particularly like her, but I don't hate her, either. But did anyone see her "ching chong" comment? It's all over the internet if you google it. The thing I find the most annoying is that she will be the first to slam anyone who makes what she perceives to be a slight against gays (like her anger towards Kelly Ripa--about Ripa's comment to Clay Aiken--a couple weeks ago). But apparently when she does it, it's OK. The other amazing thing is that none of her co-hosts called her on this, and the idiots in the audience laughed. I'm guessing that if she had spoken in fake eubonics or if Hasselback made a slam against lesbians, someone on the panel would've said something.

From the New York Post:
    http://www.nypost.com/seven/12092006...p_pagesix_.htm

December 9, 2006 -- HEY, all you Chinese-speakers out there in TV land - Rosie O'Donnell thinks you should get a sense of humor! The Asian-American Journalists Association was fuming after O'Donnell went on "The View" Thursday and said that Danny DeVito's drunk turn on the show days earlier was "international news! In China it was like, 'Ching chong, ching-ching-chong, Danny DeVito!' " In a statement yesterday, the AAJA said, "We consider this a mockery of the Chinese language and, in effect, a perpetration of stereotypes of Asian-Americans as foreigners or second-class citizens. The use of the distorted phrases is insulting to the Chinese and Chinese-Americans, and gives the impression that they are a group that is substandard to English-speaking people." But a rep for O'Donnell said, "She's a comedian in addition to being a talk show co-host. I certainly hope that one day they will be able to grasp her humor."

I saw that Lois and was shocked.
    It looked like Joy and Elisabeth were both fairly uncomfortable with what she said, but no one went as far as to say anything to her which I found surprising and disappointing.

See, this is why I don't watch anymore! I'm fed up with these celebrities that think they can get away with making horrible comments like that and get away with it just because they're celebrities! You would think they would work hard to stay clear of stuff like that in order to keep their fan base! The more they make comments like that, the more their fans will turn on them. Shame on you Rosie! That's one kind of "humor" this world can do without!
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

FORT Fogey
    I just watched a clip of the statement that caused the controversy. I don't think that what she says warrants the outrage that she's getting (although given that she's expressed outraged at other comments that I see as eqully as neutral, I'd hope that she'd learn from this that content and intent are rather important when considering the offensiveness of a comment). Rosie was not singling out Chinese people in any sort of a negative light, nor was she degrading the Chinese language. Rather, she was trying to illustrate how widespread coverage of the Danny DeVito appearance was. She was using filler words to represent a language that she does not know.

She could have done all that quite easily without resorting to sitting there repeatedly saying "ching chong".
    Her "filler words" have long been used as an ignorant way of expressing how Chinese people talk and as a label for Chinese people.
    In my opinion, it's not ok.
    I like Rosie, I think she's revitalised this tired show and I think she's had a positive effect on Elisabeth, but to me that display by Rosie was supremely ignorant.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fluff;2175040;
    She could have done all that quite easily without resorting to sitting there repeatedly saying "ching chong".
    Her "filler words" have long been used as an ignorant way of expressing how Chinese people talk and as a label for Chinese people.
    I totally agree with this, fluff. Most people of Asian background grew up hearing these offensive words when people wanted to make fun of them. It's not an inoffensive phrase and, from what I understand, it's as offensive to Asian-Americans (Asian-Canadians etc.) as the "n" word is to African-Americans. It may not have been O'Donnell's intent to denigrate people of Asian backgrounds, but the point is she did. And for someone who's quick to point out wrongs done to women, gays, etc., she should be more sensitive to another minority that she (un)intentionally slammed.

Her rep's explanation is just as bad as what O'Donnell said. For crikey's sake, just say it was wrong and she hadn't meant it as a slur, though it came across that way.

+ Reply to Thread