+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 11/13 - "Death and Taxes"

11/13 - "Death and Taxes"

ER
    DEATH AND TAXES
    11-13-2003 9:59PM

BUSY DR. LEWIS MAKES PLANS FOR DINNER WITH PATIENT -- BUT THE WORLD INTERFERES; EMMY WINNER BOB NEWHART GUEST-STARS -- A busy Dr. Lewis (Sherry Stringfield) plans a home-cooked dinner with the elderly Hollander (Emmy Award-winning guest star Bob Newhart, "The Bob Newhart Show") -- her depressed patient who is going blind -- treats a stressed-out housewife (guest star Betsy Brandt), arranges for an IRS audit, and then hides the detached arm of the nasty Dr. Romano (Paul McCrane).

Elsewhere, Neela (Parminder Nagra) and Dr. Pratt (Mekhi Phifer) treat a vulnerable 18-year-old (guest star Efren Antonio Ramierez) who was attacked in jail and Dr. Gallant (Sharif Atkins) must gamble with a risky hospital transfer to help a young septic cancer patient.

Meanwhile, Dr. Kovac (Goran Visnjic) clashes with Dr. Corday (Alex Kingston) over the treatment of a patient (guest star Dohn Norwood) she suspects needs an appendectomy and nurse Sam (Linda Cardellini) parks her precocious son (guest star Oliver Davis) in the E.R. for a day where the kid gets an eyeful. Ming-Na also stars.

Lewis hides the detached arm of the nasty Dr. Romano
    Bwahahahaha now THATS funny. (but only because it's Romano)
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Aha, I see no mention of Abby there
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by fluff
    Aha, I see no mention of Abby there
    “You know this is a one-way street?”
    “I was only going one way!”

last night's show

Need some help here please!!
    I missed last night's show, can someone give me a run down of what happened.
    Would really appreciate it.

march you sleep too much LOL
    Opening- Susan lying face up in bed, wide awake. Her ex-husband Chuck (the flight nurse) joins her in bed with coffee, they talk a bit. The subject of kids comes up and out of the blue Chuck says, why don't we have some? Some what?? Kids! you and me. We get along, the sex is good, let's do it.
    Er credits
    OK for the funny part- Romano's new hand seems to have a mind of it's own, it keeps pinching the women's bottoms, first Jing Mae's then the new nurse's (Sam). Sam puts Romano up against the wall - by his neck! and unscrews the offending hand, gives it to Dr. Lewis to 'put away' Susan says you can have it back at the end of the day.. if you're good. Romano surprises me by accepting this and he goes on about his business (strange I thought he would have been yelling the hospital down)
    Susan's older patient who is losing his eyesight (Bob Newhart) comes in to have some blood levels checked. She tells him that if the levels are good he doesnt have to come back to see her he can go to his own doctor. He doesn't look all to excited about that and asks her to dinner that night, she reluctantly accepts and they agree on 8pm. Susan has an IRS audit at some point in the day that keeps being postponed.
    Sam's son has used a marker to put red dots all over his face to get out of school, the school won't let him come and Sam has trouble finding a sitter so the kiddo, I think his name is Alex is supposed to sit in the doctor's lounge until mom can locate a sitter. Alex listens at first, sits in the lounge. Susan comes in and slips a tampon from her locker to her smock pocket and he says.. are you menstruating? She tells him to mind his business LOl very funny. Alex gets bored and glues himself to Luka. The kid is really morbid.
    The cases: Mom, baby, 4 yr old and boyfriend in car accident, baby was not in his carseat they check for injury. Abby calls for all sorts of tests - Luka overrides her but she has already had a portable head CT done. Lucky for her because abusive boyfriend who obviously doesn;t like the kids arrives back in the ER later with baby - and a fractured skull. Lots of blame starts getting passed around and they refer to the head CT that Luka didnt want taken only to find that the injury was no present at the first examination. Abby arrives to tell the b/f about the baby with a social worker and 2 security guards and he is toted off to jail for abuse.

next -
    Older man with abdominal pain Coop orders a bunch of tests - Luka vetos them again, lies to Elizabeth who has been brought in on a consult- without proper tests, she's angry that its a waste of her time so Luka makes up a number and they agree that its not appendicitus as they thought and they send the man on his way, advising him to come back if he gets worse. Hours later the man is back, in the waiting room he vomits (very realistically) and Lizzy deduces that his appendix has burst now he needs invasive surgery but he refuses to have general anthestetic, he wants an epidural. Lizzy finds Luka and gives him a piece of her mind. He brushes it off and says his system worked. The man got worse and he came back.. just like Luka told him. :rolleyes.

case#3 18 yr old man, shallow stab wound to his right upper shoulder,that he got during his stay at a maximum security men's prison. Neela stitches him up. We learn that he's in jail because of a B&E (break and enter) .. he broke into his step-father's house. He has a g/f and really he's just a baby. When he gets up to go Neela sees that the bed where he's been sitting is soaked with blood. The young guy screams for Neela to leave the room. Pratt comes in and finally gets it out of him that he's been raped during his incarceration. As it turns out an attending are the only ones able to do a rape exam. Luka overhears Pratt asking if they use the same rape kit on a man as a woman and offers to do the exam. Pratt rolls his eyes and refuses. Pratt asks Romano to do it, he's clearly uncomfortable, tells Pratt to do it and he'll sign the paperwork. Pratt knows this is against procedure - Romano says since when are you a by the book guy? Pratt then asks Susan to do the exam, Susan says yes but finds romano first to tell him that she is lightening his load by one and calls hima homophobe. Romano snatches the chart back from Susan and goes to do the exam, seething with fury the whole time. He gives Pratt a look that could melt stone. He was NOT very nice to the young guy. As the guy is getting ready to leave Neela brings in his bloodwork results, Romano delivers the news with his usual bedside manner- the boy is HIV positive, and worse than that he has AIDS. The boy responds.. well at least I know its not forever (the continuous rapes)
    Jing Mae gets a call from the Chinese Embasy. Her parents have been in a car accident. She rushes to get out of the hospital and keeps it together until Pratt sees her running out of the hsopital, asks what happens, is told then he runs out to meet her. He tells her he hopes everything is ok, they embrace, she tears up and runs into the night to catch a plane to China.
    Susan's friend Mr Hollinger (Bob Newhart) is preparing for Susan's arrival tonight, he looks to be in good spirits, his vision has deteriorated so badly that he has to look up to see around the spot in his middle distance.While he is making supper for her, he cuts himself, gets angry, pushes everything to the floor. We then see him sitting on the couch, writing a note. Do Not Resuscitate. He tapes it to his tie and proceeds to take his life with a revolver. He's rushed to County (of course) Pratt is doing everything he can to save him.. even after he reads the note, stating that suicide is illegal. Susan comes in to help, they take the mask off of his face and she sees her friend for the first time and makes everyone stop their life-saving efforts. She says this is what he wanted. She is devastated.
    This is how the epi wraps up, Susan handing off the shift, giving orders, tieing up loose ends.. like Romano asking for his hand back. Susan is a zombie. She tells Romano that his hand is in the tampon machine in the ladies washroom, get it yourself, and she walks out the doors.
    A very heart-wrenching epi.. but aren't they all?

oops almost forgot. Susan was telling Abby that she and Chuck are at the point where they should be spending all of their time together or none at all.

Abby is whining because Susan never compliments her like she compliments Neela. Neela offers to study with Abby so they can learn from eachother's strengths. Abby is not doing well with bookwork or with diagnosis. Neela feels she does well with bookwork but not much else.

Brava Duxxy! Excellent recap!
    “You know this is a one-way street?”
    “I was only going one way!”

Why, thanky. Its all out of order, I was going by memory (and mine stinks) but I think march has all the info they need to keep up with next week.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast