+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 10/30 "Out of Africa"

10/30 "Out of Africa"

OUT OF AFRICA
    9:59/8:59pm 10/30/03
    DR. LEWIS FEARS FOR ARCHITECT WHO'S LOSING EYESIGHT; EMMY WINNER BOB NEWHART GUEST-STARS -- Dr. Lewis (Sherry Stringfield) fears for a distraught architect (Emmy Award-winning guest star Bob Newhart, "The Bob Newhart Show") whose degenerating eyesight makes him despondent while a spirited new nurse (new series regular Linda Cardellini) replaces Abby (Maura Tierney) -- who decides to return to medical school. Elsewhere: disaster strikes when the doctors suspect a mother (guest star Allison Elliot) is abusing her child; Dr. Corday (Alex Kingston) learns something shocking about the charismatic Dr. Dorset (guest star Bruno Campos, "Jesse"), and a green medical student (guest star Scott Grimes) is overwhelmed by the chaos and grisly conditions of life in the E.R. Laura Innes, Paul McCrane, Sharif Atkins, Mekhi Phifer and Parminder Nagra also star. TV-14
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Holy jumpin!! The good Dr Dorset is MARRIED! I thought poor Elizabeth was going to have a cow. I feel so bad for her, the bugger persued her in a stalker-like way.
    Romano was showing off his new prosthetic (sp?) hand, really very remarkable!! Until he crushes a glass bottle of medication in it.
    Abby :rolleyes was treated very unfairly by the jealous Romano when she came to see about a surgery consult (she is doing her surgery rotation, she tells Lizzy "i paid my tuition and they put me right back on rotation)
    Omg eldee the saddest thing! A mother brings in her baby (under 2yrsold) because he fell out of a shopping cart. Lewis smells liquor on her breath so she calls DCFS and the non-custodial father to come and pick up the 2 sons (one is about 9yrs old) The mother is on Zantac or some prozack like thing and she is dispondent about losing custody of her boys. She goes out to her car, opens the trunk and gets something bottle-like from the grocery box, hides it in her coat and slips into the front seat of her car. We see the locks engage.
    At this point I figure mom can't handle the stress and she is going to find her solution at the bottom of a bottle... not so.
    The bottle that she hid is lighter fluid (or something equally combustable) She squirts it all over herself and the front seat of the car, at this exact moment her eldest son comes looking for her to tell her that the baby is going to be just fine she set flame to herself and the car, right before her son's eyes. (I felt all the blood drain from my face)
    Kovac and Pratt were outside and they break into the car with a backboard and 'rescue' her. She is still alive with 90% full thickness burns.
    The fight like hell to save her, we all know she is going to die. We don't see the outcome at the end of the show.
    Susan, meanwhile has recruited 2 ambulance attendant to help her locate her patient (Bob Newhart) who lost his patience and left the hospital AMA (she was waiting on a psyche consult because she suspected a suicide attempt o.d. on Digoxen heart meds) They burst into his appartment to find him alive and well, painting architectural models.
    The new nurse is pretty spunky! She rushes in to save the day and sedate a patient that 3 male doctors are holding down, when the wuzzy Morse can't bring himself to do it... later in the episode Morse walks out, saying that he wasn't meant for this (and he's right)
    The new nurse, I think her name is Annie, is used to tougher conditions and sees County as taking a breather lol we also learn that she has a young son, about 12 yrs old
    Thats all I can remember for now, I know its choppy but I think thats everything
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

FORT Regular
    That was great. I haven't been able to watch this much at all lately and fell asleep last nite.

Thanks Duxxy. I missed so much.

It's said that when someone is having a diabetic reaction that it smells like liquior. When I was reading your step by step recount, it thought that maybe they mistakenly took the children from a diabetic. Obviously, the poor thing was unstable. Luckily her some wasn't in the car with her. She'll die with that percentage of her body burned from the skin constriction. Do you remember a few years ago with the firefighter who got burned when following his partner into a burning building before they should have?

So, that jerk is married? Elizabeth should perform a certain medical male procedure on that jerk!

You did a great job with this recap!

+ Reply to Thread