+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Less Abby

Less Abby

From In Touch magazine Nov 3 edition

Er, NBC,
    Bob Newhart guest stars as an architect worried about losing his eyesight and another seires regular come on board when Linda Cardellini joins the staff as a new nurse after Abby decides to return to medical school.

Wooo hoo!! Could it be?? Less Abby for this season?? Well, until she returns as a doctor next season. This would explain why she went to her ex to co-sign her loan. It was his fault in the first place that she was kicked out of med school. He didn't pay her tuition fees as he'd agreed.

Good news for some of us
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Woohoo!

I like Maura, but Abby has become so annoying. Breaking up Abby/Carter was a start, but this looks promising. More Luka! More Elisabeth! More Chen! More Gallant (I'm his only fan, I swear!) Less Abby!

YAY!
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

FORT Fogey
    I can see it now, the rest of the cast of ER put their foot down and said "Less Abby or we walk".

But NBC obviously loves Abby so much they instead decide to give Abby her own spin-off show. They will call it simply "Abby".

It will deal with Abby's plight of being a 30 something, registered nurse going to medical school with a bunch of rich and spoiled Gen Xers and the problems (and hilarity) that result.

Also Abby's years of hands-on experience will make her butt heads with the teaching staff at the medical school when she contradicts some of the methods they teach in class. There will likely be at least one old croggidy professor ala "The Paper Chase" whose doghouse Abby will often occupy.

We will get to see lots of scenes of a frustrated Abby outside - sullen as always - smoking a cigarette in frustration.

Abby will also develope a relationship with a young medical student who wants her to "show him the ropes" in an after hours 'anatomy class'.

Sounds like a "cant miss" ratings grabber to me! LOL

The funny part is that I say all of this as a joke but I can actually see it happening. Or at least see it being written into the show as a sub-plot (like the Africa stuff) to the regular series. More Abby, less focus on the actual ER. Yuck.
    Last edited by Daddio; 10-29-2003 at 11:17 AM.

[QUOTE=Daddio]I can see it now, the rest of the cast of ER put their foot down and said "Less Abby or we walk".

.......Abby will also develope a relationship with a young medical student who wants her to "show him the ropes" in an after hours 'anatomy class'....QUOTE]

And they get tired up for hours of fun! I never knew she had it in her.

Could it mean 'less' Abby or more Abby? Are we going to have to leave the ER every Thursday to see what she's doing in school :rolleyes She's become so annoying that I don't know if I can stand it. I'm hoping you're right.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I like Maura .. I her smile (seldom seen) really lights up her face. I'd like to start seeing more of the ahem 'romance' between Lizzy and the arrogant, but definitly cute doctor she was knocking boots with in the back seat of the car.

Miss F you are not Gallant's only fan!! Me too me too. He's a stand up guy with ethics and morals and a great bedside manner. I wonder how the writers will corrupt him. There are just so many other people they could focus on!
    Where is Carrie?? how is she doing on the top floor?
    How about showing us some of Romano's home life, we know how he's coping with his loss (not well) but how is he dealingwith the day to day of it?
    Pratt- now there is a whole realm of possiblities
    Chen - i love her! I didnt like her jealous cold shouder act - dropping Pratt flat was priceless
    Cooper(?) the new guy he is going to be some fun!
    and the list goes on.. all of these people have been ignored for Abby and her family troubles I think its time to MOVE ON
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

FORT Fogey
    All Abby bashing aside, I think we all essentially agree on one thing; we don’t necessarily hate the Abby character, we can appreciate her and find her character a viable addition to the weekly goings on in the ER – as long as it is in the properly prescribed dosage (pun intended).

I think what baffles and befuddles us all is what motivated the writers to take a show – which has been a perennial top 5 show and the anchor of “Must See Thursday” – and virtually turn it over to an actress with no real track record of success. Yes Maura Tierney had bit parts in a handful of movies and was a regular cast member the last couple years of “News Radio” – but even there she received fewer lines per week than Joe Rogan – so what does that tell you?

Abby is fine - but like mint jelly – a little goes a long way. This is a top notch show with a strong ensemble cast of gifted actors and actresses who present a dozen multi ethnic, multi-racial, multi-gendered characters and an endless supply of storylines.

Yet rather than take the opportunity to develop the bottomless pit of possibilities they instead just find new twists and turns to Abby’s life and we just don’t get it. Am I right?

Daddio, I heartily agree with you. I don't necessarily *hate* the character or the actress. I just don't understand why they decided to switch the focus from the ensemble to Abby's daily tribulations.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

FORT Regular

I like Abby storyline, but NOT her nutty family

I mostly hate it when they go into long drawn out story lines of Abby's nutty family. A little is fine - it helps explain some of Abby's paralysis in her own life. But it seemed for awhile there every-other-show was about either her brother or mother.

I don't like it when ER goes too much into extended family members - like when Susan had to go rescue her sister/nieces in another city. The show looses a LOT for me when it no longer occurs in and around *ER*. To the writers: It's the title of the show, guys!

That's also why the Congo thing is just HORRIBLE. If I wanted to watch a show about the politics of chopping limbs off in 3rd world countries, I dunno, I'd tune into a show specifically about it. Hrm. What would that be? What could I watch instead?? Hm. NOTHING. BECAUSE NO ONE IS STUPID ENOUGH to create a dramatic series about the Congo and put it on the air. Note - the big screen movie called "Crossing Borders" (or something like that) about doctors w/o borders FLOPPED BIG TIME in the theatre. Why? Because it's boring and pushes too much of one-sided moralization on the viewers.

The JOB of working in other countries is noble. Don't get me wrong. But the drama around it just doesn't work and a majority of viewers see through the one-sided propoganda.

So - to talk about Abby. I *like* the shift to her life. I actually wish they'd do more, as in propell her life forward so she can have a real and meaningful relationship for a change. Not a stilted one. Give her maturity and depth and LOVE for a change!! She deserves better than that brat, Carter. In the words of late great Romano: BOOHOO.

I'm so tired of Carter's sadness around being rich. BooHoo. Get over it. Or give it to me. Ya know? Abby deserves MUCH better and I can't believe what a jerk Carter is by prancing around his pregnant shack-up in front of Abby. He didn't even have the decency to call her up or meet her alone face-to-face to A) appologize for his longdistance dear john letter B) to warn her about the changes in his life. Instead he just FLAUNTS it in front of her face. Sorry, writers, it just makes me HATE Carter. (Unless that is what they want.) Abby has been an angel in accepting the pieces of cow-pie Carter gave her in the episode last night.

Annika
    Last edited by Annika; 01-09-2004 at 05:42 PM.

+ Reply to Thread