+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looks like NBC is trying to kill Third Watch!

Looks like NBC is trying to kill Third Watch!

This snippet is part of a larger story!

http://www.msnbc.com/news/981933.asp

NBC hopes its quirky new dating show “Average Joe” can spark some above-average viewership for the November “sweep” ratings survey.”

THE NETWORK SAID on Friday that its latest reality offering, which offers 16 ordinary shlubs a chance to win the heart of an attractive former beauty queen, will premiere Nov. 3, and run for six weeks.

To make room for the unscripted relationship series in the Monday 10 o’clock hour, NBC will move its police and fire drama “Third Watch” to Fridays at 10 p.m. starting Oct. 31.

The original occupant of that Friday slot, critically lauded but low-rated crime drama “Boomtown,” was benched by NBC earlier this month and replaced with repeats of the popular detective series “Law & Order: Special Victims Unit.”

Click on the link for the rest of story, but the bolded above pretty much gives you the idea that NBC is giving up on Third Watch, moving it to Friday night, when a lot of people are out and not watching TV. Myself, I have Tivo, so it doesn't matter when it's on, but this is not a good move in my opinion. They will lose viewers on Friday nights!

Chris

Oh so TW is on Friday now?

Yeah they're trying to kill it.

Hi there --

I don't know if any of you know me, but I run the website http://www.thirdwatch.net.

I've had the opportunity to speak with Ed Bernero (Exective Producer & Co-Creater) of Third Watch, and I e-mailed him as soon as I heard about the day change for Third Watch. To hopefully appease your minds a little bit, I wanted to paste for you what he had to say:

My question: "If you have a moment, would it be possible for you to comment on the time slot move?

In my personal opinion, it looks like the competition on Friday nights is almost nil so this might not be a horrible move for the show. But by the same token, historically moving a show to Friday nights has been considered the "Kiss Of Death", so it has a lot of the fans a bit worried."

Ed's Answer:

"I agree with you about the competition. I also found Vegas to be a horrible lead in for us as I believe it is made for a vastly different audience (basically juvenile men). I'm pretty excited about the move. I think we're a good fit for Friday night. Law & Order SVU has done well in that slot for a couple of years.

No one should worry. Just come on over to Friday nights, watch us, and tell your friends."

Keep the faith, Folks... as long as we continue to tune in, and continue to tell your friends, there's no reason why Third Watch can't thrive on Friday nights.

I ramble...

Thanks Mona!

Quote Originally Posted by MonaCK
    Hi there --

I don't know if any of you know me, but I run the website http://www.thirdwatch.net.

I've had the opportunity to speak with Ed Bernero (Exective Producer & Co-Creater) of Third Watch, and I e-mailed him as soon as I heard about the day change for Third Watch. To hopefully appease your minds a little bit, I wanted to paste for you what he had to say:

My question: "If you have a moment, would it be possible for you to comment on the time slot move?

In my personal opinion, it looks like the competition on Friday nights is almost nil so this might not be a horrible move for the show. But by the same token, historically moving a show to Friday nights has been considered the "Kiss Of Death", so it has a lot of the fans a bit worried."

Ed's Answer:

"I agree with you about the competition. I also found Vegas to be a horrible lead in for us as I believe it is made for a vastly different audience (basically juvenile men). I'm pretty excited about the move. I think we're a good fit for Friday night. Law & Order SVU has done well in that slot for a couple of years.

No one should worry. Just come on over to Friday nights, watch us, and tell your friends."

Keep the faith, Folks... as long as we continue to tune in, and continue to tell your friends, there's no reason why Third Watch can't thrive on Friday nights.

I'll have to remember to change it in my head. Sounds like he doesn't like that new show. I haven't watched it, though. I was just getting used to the 10pm slot!

MonaCK and thank you for posting that message.

For me personally, it doesn't matter what night it is on, because I get the NY feed of NBC, so I can watch it at 7PM on Friday nights. I hope Ed Bernero is correct and that this move will actually help Third Watch and bring in more viewers. Time will tell!

Chris

I hope so too.

Thanks for this Mona.

LG.
    Boomtown was shelved. Dammit, I hate NBC. Moron, now how exactly am I supposed to get my weekly Wahlberg fix. Ack.

Back to TW, I think it might do ok on Friday nights. Pathetic person that I am, it will probably be easier for me to catch it on Fridays because depending upon who is playing, sometimes I like to watch football on Mondays. Friday night is weak. I like Miss Match, but not sure that is going to survive as they've already changed its time slot once and it has only been on a couple of times and now it is up against Boston Public, which I think was also sent to Friday night as a death sentence from Fox. If I ever have to watch another stupid episode of Whose Line Is it Anyway I will pull out all of my hair. That is terrible. I'll stalk TW and watch it whenever it airs.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Quote Originally Posted by duckgirl
    I hope so too.

Thanks for this Mona.
    Thank you all for the warm welcome.

If I hear anything else, I'll be sure to let you guys know... I'm all about spreading the wealth of information to all fans.. so...

I would also recommend possibly writing letters. I don't know if it'll work or not, but from what I understand, writing letters is tons more effective than e-mailing or starting petitions. The addresses for Jeff Zucker, president of NBC, are as follows:

Jeff Zucker - in CA - 3000 W Alameda, Burbank, CA 91523.

Or in NY - 30 Rockefeller Plaza, 16th floor, NY, NY 10112.

Again -- I don't know if it'll work or not... but I supposed it can't hurt..

I know that Ed has been confident that there is going to be a season 6 -- I recently did a telephone interview with him and he often elluded to "next season". I think that as long as we tune in, and realize that there isn't much in the way of competition in that time slot -- or even do something as simple as making sure that your TV flips over to NBC at that time to record it on your VCRs and DVDs.. the show really will be okay.

I'm going to follow their ratings and will post them here so we can see how the show is doing in their new time slot!

Chris

Hey there -- I found this article while surfing around today about the time change -- It seems like a positive one to me...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...ion_boomtown_ dc

No Room for 'Boomtown' on NBC Schedule
    Sun Oct 19, 7:44 PM ET Add Entertainment - Reuters TV to My Yahoo!

By Scott Collins

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - NBC's latest scheduling moves are raising doubts about the future of the sophomore crime drama "Boomtown."

The network said Friday that the cops-and-paramedics drama "Third Watch" will switch to the 10 p.m. Friday slot starting Oct. 31. In "Boomtown's" old 10 p.m. Monday period, NBC will debut "Average Joe," a new reality romance hosted by Kathy Griffin (news), for at least six episodes starting Nov. 3.

Preceding "Third Watch" on the Friday schedule will be "Dateline" followed by the slow-starting Alicia Silverstone (news) dramedy "Miss Match."

That leaves "Boomtown" without a perch. The most recent episode aired Oct. 3, when it ranked third in the ratings behind CBS' "The Handler" and ABC's "20/20." The "Boomtown" cast includes Donnie Wahlberg (news), Mykelti Williamson (news) and new arrival Vanessa Williams (news).

NBC entertainment president Jeff Zucker said no decision has been made about when the ensemble drama will return to the schedule, although work on a new episode is slated to begin this week. For the past two weeks, NBC put repeats of "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" into the Friday slot.

"If and when 'Boomtown' returns, it won't be Fridays at 10," Zucker said.

Zucker added that "Third Watch" had been a "solid performer" on Mondays, and the new switch will allow the series to avoid stiff competition on Mondays from CBS' "CSI: Miami."

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter
    So.. it seems like we can be optimistic... -- why would Zucker say anything like that at all if it weren't their viewpoint...?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast