+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 87 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Navy NCIS

I love this show. I like it more than CSI.

They better not kill off Abby or Ducky. But I can't see them killing off any of the agents either.... I mean, Tony just survived one thing, don't try to kill him again.

But plllleeeeassse don't let it be Abby or Ducky. I think they make the show.
    Favorite Reality Tv Quote Ever:
    "You have to do it. You have to accomplish your dreams." - Charla, The Amazing Race 5

FORT Fogey
    The only one they could kill off without damaging the show would be Kate.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    That was some crazy season finale, knowing SOMEONE would die...and mortal danger lurked around every corner.

I have to say
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Melsevene, you called it!

ETA: I was just over at a NCIS board, and the speculation that
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Kate
    isn't really dead is rampant...much as the discussion regarding Rex in the Desperate Housewives thread here on the FoRT. Goes to show there is a whole world of denial out there.
    Last edited by PhoneGrrrl; 05-24-2005 at 11:08 PM.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl
    That was some crazy season finale, knowing SOMEONE would die...and mortal danger lurked around every corner.

I have to say
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Melsevene, you called it!

ETA: I was just over at a NCIS board, and the speculation that
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Kate
    isn't really dead is rampant...much as the discussion regarding Rex in the Desperate Housewives thread here on the FoRT. Goes to show there is a whole world of denial out there.
    They need to remember that this is NCIS, not Alias!!!

I must say, it took me by surprise.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I will definately miss the banter between her and Tony. I'm also surprised that Ari lived. They are going to milk a lot out of his story line.

Can I just say... Oh. My. God! By the time the show was in its last five minutes, I was sure all of the previews were just teasing us. I was on the edge of my seat just waiting for "it" to happen. As soon as I let my guard down....*BAM!* there it was. I literally gasped and covered my mouth with my hand when Kate got shot. I can't believe they killed her! As much as I'd like to believe she survived .... well, even if she did, she would not be coming back to work at NCIS because she'd be seriously impaired.

I guess this means they'll be casting another young, female lead for the show. There's way too much testosterone on that show with only Abbey there to try to balance out all the guys.

All in all (and even though they killed a character I liked) that was a really good finale. I'm looking forward to seeing how they handle all of this next season. I wonder if Gibbs will blame himself and make a downward spiral. Anyone know when the season starts in the fall?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I don't get it. "It" being the undisclosed Bellasario and Co. rationale for offing Kate. (I noted the spoiler tags on the earlier posts, but the episode has probably even aired in Hawaii by now)

Where is the added value to removing her character, something that in and of itself is prone to make NCIS a stronger draw? Nowhere that I detect. The show may still be watchable, but IF Kate is actually out of the picture permanently the show will be involved in the iffy chore of replacing a key component that wasn't broken at all and still had plenty to offer.

Seeing as its the season finale it makes it easier to speculate that all is not as it appeared, though Ari doesn't seem the type to flub a kill often and the storyline didn't depict things in a way that would lend credence that the double agent was doubling back in the covert manner that would be required for a Kate resurrection. NCIS has had deceptive storylines in the past, however, such as when the FBI guy "committed suicide" only to saunter out when the ploy had worked. If Kate had been killed off a few episodes ago it would be much more difficult imaging her return, but things do have a way of happening with season finales and openers that leave that door open.

Pretty good makeup on DiNozzo this episode, he did look like he should have availed himself of that additional week off.

Leftcoaster - Yeah, I dont get it either. I understand the need to create dramatic stories to get good ratings, but I hate that they killed off a character I like, who was such an integral part of the group chemistry. Every one of those actors has great chemistry with every other actor in the cast. I wonder what will happen if they put a new actor into that group... maybe that person has chemistry too. Maybe not. It could end up throwing the whole show off.

Yeah, they did "resurrect" that FBI agent character (who annoyingly pronouced Tony's name DaNOHTso), but Kate's death didn't seem like it could have been staged. If he'd shot her in the body maybe they could have faked it, but there's no way I know of to fake a gun-shot to the head.

Maybe Sasha Alexander (Kate) wanted off the show for some reason.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

A Random Foot Kitty Throw Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion, Big Truck Adventure Champion, Tire Toss Champion PIMguy's Avatar
    As the storyline goes, I'm a little lost as to why Ari killed Kate. At the moment he pulled the trigger Ari had his choice of three agents, one of which (Gibbs) has vowed to kill him (Ari) the next time they meet. I suppose he wanted to make Gibbs suffer and that's a good way to do it, but it really didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Seemed like a writing stunt to shock the audience, or the actress wanted to leave the show. Either way, it did surprise the heck out of me.

Yep, the special delivery to her noggin makes it difficult to really hold out all that much hope that her death was staged, Critical. I really hope you correctly hit on the reason for Kate's demise with your thought that Sasha herself may have wanted to leave for her own reasons. As you said, the chemistry ties were much to strong for another reason to make much sense unless its a wacked out unreasonable one.

The Kate character fed into and off of the others excepting Ducky and his lackey lad in a way that made them all better. I don't believe for a moment that you can generate the chemistry she represented with the wave of a wand and casting substitute. McGee wormed his way in, so it isn't like it can't occur, but the McGee/Kate/DiNozzo type interplay which amounted to the humorous highlight of this last episode and was one of the reasons to get antsy waiting for the next episode rather than enjoying the show in a more muted manner is history with her departure.

Edited to add:

Ari killing Kate was a curious choice, Pimguy. Going with the thought that you and Critical express that Kate's departure may be related to Sasha wanting to leave makes her death more explainable if not palatable to me, but how the did it doesn't make any sense to me. Certainly Ari couldn't kill Gibbs on the roof (or at all), but his choice of Kate doesn't appear to drive the story in any new direction that would seem to validate it at first sight. Gibbs (if not NCIS) was already gunning for Ari; he didn't require any additional incentive. Kate could have died in the earlier car blast and nothing much else would have changed in the bottom line. Gibbs would still have been desiring to have Ari's head on a pike.

The behind the scenes protective armor that Gibbs' nemises Ari was provided by competing and conflicting agency types isn't part of the story I'd care to see emphasized too much. I liked that Gibbs and his crew continued to work on a case that it had appeared he'd been officially waved off of, and nothing would please me more than an episode in which Gibbs or one of his crew devise a justifiable rationale for executing a smirking Ari while he stands inches away from his covert protectors.
    Last edited by Leftcoaster; 05-25-2005 at 10:40 AM.

I just have to say that I was completely SHOCKED! I mean the sit-there-with-your-mouth-wide-open kind of shocked. Like Critical, I was lulled into a false sense of security . . . thinking that maybe they had just fooled us in all of the promo's for the show. I was totally NOT expecting Kate to be the one to go . . . but I have to say, as far as shootings go, the visual effects of the shot hitting her were really good . . . gross, but really good.

I'm kinda in the camp that she wanted off the show - I just can't see any good reason other than that for taking her out. The chemistry everyone has mentioned was very prominent in every episode, and it will be hard to imagine someone coming in and taking her place.

But on another note, I am VERY happy that it wasn't Abby!!! I just love the humor that she brings to the show. I mean, how hilarious was the little stuffed animal that she gave DiNozzo for a pillow?! We were rolling during that scene!
    I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be!

+ Reply to Thread