+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 47 FirstFirst ... 29303132333435363738394041424344454647 LastLast
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Saturday Night Live

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Re: Saturday Night Live

Quote Originally Posted by SpringMaiden27 View Post
    I'm not familiar with Taran Killam outside of SNL. He's been the best part of the show for several episodes now. I look forward to seeing more comedy from him!
    He's a great addition to the cast. I am glad they promoted him from supporting player. I still laugh thinking about him doing the parody last season of Brad Pitt and that Chanel commercial. That was hysterical. He was so funny in the McConaughey skit.

FORT Fogey

He's a very talented performer. Before Bill Hader left, I heard several people predict that Taran would step into the utility player role that Hader did so well, and I think he is certainly doing that. Most of his impressions are very strong, and the characters he creates are memorable too. I guess I should not be surprised by his acting skills, but he even impressed me with his (small) role in 12 Years a Slave. When I read he was in that movie it seemed like an odd choice to me. But he fit the role he played very well. On SNL, it also seems like he's embracing the cheerleader type role among the cast which is great. I think that show is better when there are a few people around who are pushing for them to be great as a team and not just for their individual work. Of course, for all the good things I can say about him, I have to say that nothing he does will ever outshine his reenactment of the Robyn video the week she was the musical guest. If you have not seen it, look it up becuse it is fabulous!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    SNL has always required some additional knowledge, whether it be of pop culture or political events.
    Fred Armisen has a dead on impression of the National Public Radio personality Ira Glass. It definitely required additional knowledge to get the bit. As an NPR listener, I thought it was hilarious! Unfortunately it got cut from the final live show. My guess was that they decided it required *too much* additional knowledge.

The footage of the segment on Weekend Update was recorded during the dress rehearsal and can be seen here:
    Fred Armisen's Impression of Ira Glass | This American Life

NEW SEASON starts this Saturday night 9/27/2014!

Chris Pratt hosts and Ariana Grande is musical guest!

Next week 10/4/14 is Sarah Silverman as host and Maroon 5 as musical guests!
    KAREN

FORT Fogey

I'm excited to see how the cast changes they made worked out. I know a lot of people were upset that Cecily was removed from the Weekend Update desk, but I'm thrilled with the pairing with Michael Che! I think he wrote some of the very best stuff they did last year, so I'm glad he's back in the writers room. I also think that generally stand ups do better at the update desk than improv performers, so both Jost and Che's stand up background will help. Cecily is fantastic - but she's better playing a part than telling jokes as herself. The other thing they are doing this year that I"'m REALLY excited about is that at 10pm at Saturdays instead of replaying the previous week's show, they will do one episode from each of the past 39 seasons. I read somewhere that most of them will be the Emmy nominated episode from each season. I've been reading the book "Live From New York" which has talked about quite a few of those shows and sketches. So I'm excited to relive the 40 years in that fashion!

I read that book too Acooker! Loved it, pretty interesting!

I saw something from TMZ this week that Keenan was leaving, when I just went to research it the article said at the end of this coming season, that he wanted to leave but Lorne convinced him to stay another season. Another article (from HuffPo) has an SNL rep denying anything, that they wont make decisions for next season until after this one.
    "Love is not a fight, but it's something worth fighting for"- Warren Barfield

FORT Fogey

I saw the same reports about Keenan. What I saw was the New York Daily News saying he was leaving and the NY Post saying the report was false. It would make some sense. His wife just had their first baby, so I could understand his not wanting to work those hours when he's got a family he wants to be with. That said, I could also see him being one of those people, like Rachel Dratch or Darrel Hammond, who are great on the show but don't have many other options beyond the show. So I could see him sticking with SNL until he finds a way to develop a sitcom, or something else that he could move directly in to.

I will say I was disappointed in last night's premier.

Just mediocre. From the skits to the musical guest.

What did everyone else think?

Moontat likes this.
    KAREN

I fell asleep right after the monologue, ended up waking up for Ari's second song. I hated that she was obviously singing over a track of herself. I ended up falling back to sleep before the song was over lol I may watch it OnDemand sometime, but most of the reviews I am seeing agree with you Momrek!
    momrek06 likes this.
    "Love is not a fight, but it's something worth fighting for"- Warren Barfield

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I'm glad I didn't miss anything. I was asleep most of the time.
    momrek06 likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread