+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Like Tree109Likes

Thread: Saturday Night Live

Re: Saturday Night Live

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post
    On a side note specifically about the last episode. I don't watch SNL with any regularity but I catch it sometimes. What is with all the commericals. I think I attempted to watch about 20 minutes of the show maybe half an hour and I saw about 5 minutes of show and all the rest was commercials. I literally saw one sketch and Eminem perform in all that time (and then I gave up and changed the channel). And when I saw perform I use the term lightly. I mean really what that boiled down to is they played the album version of the song while he lip synced and paced.

As for the controversy... Diversity aside.... Women have always been a tough sell on this show in general. There have been some funny ones over many years but the ladies I have always found are not used well on the show and seem to be mostly background characters. The men have been way more front and center. I think the issue is more complex than just black women. How many Asian women have you seen on the show? There are funny Asian women too. And how about how many Native American women. How about how many Latina/Hispanic women? I don't view the show as a representation of society. I view this show as a representation of the places they typically cast the show from. I also agree that being a good stand up comedian does not automatically make one a good sketch person.
    I never watch this show live. I always DVR so I can forward through the commercials. It takes half the time to watch!

I honestly hadn't given much thought to the lack of African American women on the show at the moment because there are other ethnicities represented with Cecily Strong (hispanic) and Nasim Pedrad (middle eastern). Are there any men right now that are something other than Caucasian and African American?

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

It was a really good show last weekend. Goodman, Stallone, DeNiro. Didn't have any use for the musical group, Kings of Leon, whomever they are. Found their music very boring and uninteresting.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

"...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

There is one quote in that article that has me baffled. One of the people they talked to commented that SNL is not all about sketch comedy. Outside of Weekend Update, where prior to Jimmy and Tina they pretty much always cast stand ups for the job, what other than sketch comedy is SNL? It is described after all as a SKETCH COMEDY show.

Prhoshay,
    I'm not sure what happened to the The Kings of Leon. THey used to be so good. There's actually a movie about them and how they got started. They are actually a family of musicians. I agree they were off the other week. Very odd, IMO. I was sad to see it. They are capable of so much more.

SNL is normally not usually funny to me, so I only go there now to check it out if I like the guests. I watched part of the episode with Timberlake and Fallon, though I haven't watched all of it yet. I thought it was pretty funny and much better than usual.

The Timberlake/Fallon/multiple other well-known names episode was really, really good!! It will be worth your time.

I am ready to see another group that I was introduced to a couple of weeks ago.....Alabama Shakes! At first, I could not decided if this was one of SNL's comedy acts because these people looked rather like Fraggle Rock, but their music was really good! It took me 'til the end of the show to decided that they were legit. Only 1 female, if I recall correctly. Their appearance was just strange! They are worth another appearance.
    combatcutie and mesachick like this.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    The Timberlake/Fallon/multiple other well-known names episode was really, really good!! It will be worth your time.

I am ready to see another group that I was introduced to a couple of weeks ago.....Alabama Shakes! At first, I could not decided if this was one of SNL's comedy acts because these people looked rather like Fraggle Rock, but their music was really good! It took me 'til the end of the show to decided that they were legit. Only 1 female, if I recall correctly. Their appearance was just strange! They are worth another appearance.
    I will watch the entire episode soon.

Ref. the Alabama Shakes. I saw them on PBS Nashville 2.0 Road to Americana.
    I can't find the link.

Fallon/Timberlake episode was GREAT!

Family Feud was so damn funny!

Bring it on down to Wrappinville!
    combatcutie and J.D. like this.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Anytime Fallon and Timberlake are on it's must see tv for me!! Love those two together
    prhoshay and combatcutie like this.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    When I watched that episode I assumed from their name that they would be country music and immediately started fast forwarding through the performance. HOWEVER, the singer was so unusual looking that I actually went back to the beginning and watched the whole performance. Her voice is so rich and soulful, I was amazed when I found out she was only 24 years old!!!

+ Reply to Thread