+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 39 FirstFirst ... 252627282930313233343536373839 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Saturday Night Live

Re: Saturday Night Live

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Might just be you. I thought it was better than the previous two episodes....not that that's saying much. "Boy Dance Party" was hilarious and I thought Seth and Cecily really clicked during "Weekend Update." There were really only a few sketches (the "Eddie" one, especially) that I thought were bad. I liked "Sigma" for it's oddness and I thought Aidy Bryant was fabulous in everything. I want to see whole sketches based on her character in the "Lady Gaga Talk Show." That was hilarious.
    While I actually ended up dozing off (long day) anyway I thought it was hilarious what I saw.

The opening with the two stuck in Space and the 'shutdown'. lol

The Navy Seals one, I thought was great.

Lady Gaga's talk show and the Boy Dance Party were AWESOME!!!

Love Katy Perry and then fell asleep just as Weekend Update was coming on.

Like Critical, I thought all in all what I did see (and will finish it) I thought was GREAT!
    KAREN

FORT Fogey

I thought it was a good episode too. They used Bruce Willis well, and he performed well. The army sketch was hilarious and I loved how they did the cold open incorporating a huge movie into what is happening in the country. Loved the subtle digs at George Clooney too. I really liked that they seemed to highlight the strengths of so many different performers. Bobby, Keenan, Jay, Taran, Aidy, Cecily, Abby and Nasim all had chances to shine.

FORT Fogey

I"m bumping this thread up for a couple of reasons. First, I though the Kerry Washington episode was fantastic! I'm not a big fan of hers, but I really enjoyed her on SNL. She seemed like she was game to really embrace what the show is and become part of the ensemble and she did well. I love it when SNL shows a side of a celebrity that a lot of the audience may not have known was there. I hope they bring her back. She deserves to be a repeat host. Second, I'm glad that they addressed the controversy over the lack of black female performers on the show head on. It makes more sense to me for Lorne Michaels to respond in a sketch than to sit down for any sort of mea culpa interview. Third, I love that in the "What Does my Girl Say" video Jay Pharoh got to be celebrated for just how brillant he is! Loved it!!!!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

It was a good show. Kerry is very versatile. I absolutely loved her little black dress with the white collar, and the little pregnancy pleat in the front; it was very attractive.

I am glad to hear that the black men have decided not to play black women when there ARE plenty of black women out there to do the job. I like the way the writers made their point. Shame on Loren Michaels, as a human being.
    bee stung lips likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

Fantastic show. I thought Kerry did a great job embracing everything they threw at her. It really did show the audience a diferent side of her. I absolutely LOVED the "What Does My Girl Say" video. It was so fun and you can tell Kerry was having fun doing it. I really hope they bring her back for a repeat host
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

I knew Kerry would shine on SNL because she's such a well-rounded actress. I've seen her comedic side before and she's quite hilarious, always a good sport and doesn't mind letting her hair down. She's most definitely intelligent and smart, but doesn't take herself too seriously. I'm glad she's finally experiencing such great success.

I certainly hope SNL realizes how much of a gem they have in Jay Pharroh. He does the best, most spot-on impressions on this show since Darryl Hammond. His Shaq impressions have me rolling.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Moontat, AcookerTV and AlwaysVeg like this.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

FORT Fogey

I disagree that the cold open was the writers getting their point across to Lorne. I think that Lorne has way too much control of the content of the show. I think that was more Lorne getting his point across to the critics. The line in the "apology scroll" about being sorry that Kerry Washington was going to be asked to play so many black women spoke volumes to me. I don't think that the "shame on Lorne" controversy is as cut and dry as some would believe it to be, because I don't think that casting for the show is as simple as "find funny people of diverse backgrounds and cast them" as some seem to imply. There have been a few great "defense of SNL" pieces written about the whole controversy. Many point out the lack of diversity in improv comedy at the places where SNL usually pulls from. Another was written by a casting agent who talked about how difficult it is to find black comedic actresses for projects, because so many of them are tied up in contracts that won't let them work everywhere, or in some cases don't want to go through the casting process, etc. In the past, a lot was written about what a grueling place SNL was to work, and how it beat the crap out of most performers. Ever since Tina Fey was head writer, that environment seems to have really changed. I heard someone once point out that a key reason for that was that they moved away from casting stand up comedians who work as individuals and are used to competing with everyone around them, and moved to casting a lot more improv performers who are used to being part of a team. THey've also done things like bringing on Cecily Strong and Aidy Bryant together as two performers who worked together to make the transtion easier on them. Because the environment is more positive now, people are staying longer, and there's more collaboration on sketches. I think the result is a better product. At the end of the day, as a huge fan of the show, I'd rather see them continue to cast the best most versatile team players they can find than to fill each category with an acceptable performer.
    combatcutie and Moontat like this.

I would prefer to hear from black female comics as to what THEY see the problem as being, since I am sure this has been discussed among them for years. These women are out there, no matter what "mainstream" would have you think.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I would prefer to hear from black female comics as to what THEY see the problem as being, since I am sure this has been discussed among them for years. These women are out there, no matter what "mainstream" would have you think.
    There are most definitely a lit of black female comics out there and really good ones too. For years I used to watch BET Comic View and there were plenty of great, funny, very capable black female comics who appeared in that show. In fact, Sherri Shepherd from The View, and Sheryl Underwood, from the talk, were both featured regularly on the show.

But I think a lot of the problem, as Sherri herself stated, is that stand up comedy does not necessarily make one a good sketch comedy artist.

That said, that's still no excuse for the lack of black female comedians on SNL.

One could never convince me that in a world this big, Lorne Michaels has never encountered a worthy, black female sketch comedian.

I was floored a few weeks ago on the season premiere when they scanned through the list of new cast members and not one of the new members was of ethnic descent. Quite ridiculous as far as I'm concerned.

I've been waiting to see a more diverse cast (from various ethnic backgrounds, not just black) on SNL for years. Guess I won't hold my breath anymore. :|

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    prhoshay and SpringMaiden27 like this.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

I'm sure the comics know what they're good at, and what they can handle, and what they can't. Of course, if you're never given the chance, you may never know.

+ Reply to Thread