+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2324252627282930313233343536373839 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Saturday Night Live

FORT Fogey

Re: Saturday Night Live

I recorded last night's show and didn't get to see much of it except for the Veganville sketch, which I loved because I'm vegan! I love all the similar sketches JT does on the show whenever he's on, even though I'm not a fan of his singing.

Quote Originally Posted by candor View Post
    Loved this episode. I remember when Candace Bergen first guest-hosted. She was stunningly beautiful. When she appeared last night, I thought, "Who's that older lady?" It's a shame how they all got so old while the rest of us have stayed exactly the same. ;-)
    Yeah. That's what I always think until I look in the mirror and experience the same shock.
    Moontat likes this.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I was watching the 60's British invasion special on PBS last night. It was hosted by Petula Clark. She is now 80 years old! Dusty Springfield will be 74 next month, and Lulu is 64. Sigh.
    I remember when Lulu was in "high school."

Come to think of it, it's surprising that Jimmy Fallon didn't make an appearance. Maybe it's because JT is going to be on his show every night this week. Setting my recorder.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

FORT Fogey

I wondered if it was possible that Jimmy didn't make an appearance in order to let Andy have his moment. When he left the show, he didn't get a big sendoff. This is the second time he's come back for an apperance this season. Maybe they're doing that to give him his moments to get the big cheers when he appears, to make up for his departure being overshadowed by Kristen Wiig. Also, if Jimmy Fallon appeared, people would have expected the Barry Gibb talk show, and that could have been akward since Robin Gibb died.

FORT Fogey

I had to bring this thread backup to the top because the finale was so good! The Ben Affleck parts were okay, but the send off parts were spectacular! The Stefon send off was brilliant and perfect. It also made me wonder if when Seth has said he will come back for the first half of the year next year if he will come back as a writer but not the Update host. With Amy and all the guest characters there, it was a pretty good send off for Seth too. And Ian Rubbish ... So good it makes me sad for anyone who didn't stay up until the end of the show.

I thought Ben did pretty well. It wasn't him that was sub-par - it was the material. At least the sketches weren't as bad as last week's episode with Kristin Wiig. If I never have to see those characters again, it will be too soon. I thought Amy Poehler was funnier in Weekend Update than KW was in the entire episode she hosted.

Loved the last Stefon sketch with all of the "this place has everything" characters from all of his clubs there in the church. I just about died when the human parking cones were his attendants. Then DJ Baby Bok Choy pulled up = As if I couldn't love Anderson Cooper more. I knew he was doing that sketch, but I wish it had been a surprise.

I won't miss Fred Armisen, but I'll definitely miss Bill Hader and Jason Sudeikis. They've been two of my favorites. The hug between all three of them at the end of the show made me misty. It's obvious that the entire cast was sad to see them go.

It's definitely going to be a VERY different SNL next fall. I'm curious to see who will get Weekend Update. I can't think of anyone on the current cast who could do it.

For Stefon fans: 'Saturday Night Live': All of Stefon's clubs | PopWatch | EW.com
    beerbelly likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

I don't think they will go with a cast member for the Update host. Before Jimmy Fallon, many of the update hosts were writers instead of cast members and I think they'll go that route again. I think the front runner is John Mullaney. If he enjoyed his time away from SNL and doesn't want to come back full time, my next pick would be Mike O'Brien.

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    I don't think they will go with a cast member for the Update host. Before Jimmy Fallon, many of the update hosts were writers instead of cast members and I think they'll go that route again. I think the front runner is John Mullaney. If he enjoyed his time away from SNL and doesn't want to come back full time, my next pick would be Mike O'Brien.
    I think John Mullaney could be great in that role! Definitely better than any of the remaining cast members.

FORT Fogey

I heard an SNL alum talking about Weekend Update hosts not too long ago. I do not remember who it was - maybe Darryl Hammond? Whoever it was, he pointed out that most of the Weekend Update people have not been cast members, but have instead been stand up comedians brought in specifically for that role. Since Jimmy Fallon, Amy Poehler and Seth Meyers have gone against that tradition and been more recent, we don't think of that. But the skills for talking to a camera telling jokes are a lot different from those needed to perform sketches. And even with Seth - he'll readily admit now that he's much better at writing and stand up than he ever was at performing in sketches. John Mullaney would be great because he does stand up now. Mike O'Brien also does a bit of stand up which is why he came to mind (plus I love his 7 Minutes in heaven web show, so I want him to do more). Actually, as I'm typing this, I'm realizing that Jay Pharoh comes from a stand up background. Since they never seem to have done a good job of finding places ofr him in sketches, maybe he could be the Update guy and play Obama and finally have the significant role on the show he deserves. Hmm ...

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I only started really watching SNL in the Dennis Miller years, so I was curious about prior hosts that weren't Chase/Curtain/Aykroyd/Murray (the only early ones I could recall). The list is kind of crazy: Brad Hall, who is Julia Louis Dreyfus' husband; Brian Doyle Murray, Bill's brother; Christopher Guest, the great director; and Christine Ebersole, whom I think of as a stage actor but I know she's on that new show with BDM. It's quite a weird gallery. Saturday-Night-Live.com - History - Weekend Update Plus, I totally forgot about Colin Quinn!

+ Reply to Thread