+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 47 FirstFirst ... 212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
Like Tree111Likes

Thread: Saturday Night Live

Re: Saturday Night Live

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    Okay, I am apparently in a very small minority here. I actually like both What's Up With That and The Californians!
    I like Keenan myself - but sometimes I do think he is missing part of his humor without Kel. He was half of the Keenan/Kel duo on Nickelodeon - "The Keenan and Kel Show" and "All That."

Still - my favorite role he's played was Fat Albert in the movie of the same name. He is one of the few people who has played an iconic role (here a cartoon character but still an iconic character) the way the character was designed, and it only made the movie good.

Personally the only actor was I WAS glad to see go was Norm MacDonald - he became way too full of himself and it showed in his performances.

They had SNL in the 90's on last night, it was really good then. I agree it's hit or miss now. I do have to say I'm strangely attracted to Bill Hader
    football_chick and Moontat like this.

FORT Fogey

I think the retrospective shows always make it look like the show was better in the past than now, because they get to edit out the stuff that didn't work. When you watch full shows from past decades, it was just as hit or miss then. Now we look at something like "what's up with that" and wonder why they keep doing it. Then the same was said at some point about the Gap girls, or copy guy. It's kind of amazing that in one weeks time with virtually no early prep they manage to produce the show. The nature of how it's done means it will always be hit or miss. It's kind of amazing that it hits as often as it does.

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    I think the retrospective shows always make it look like the show was better in the past than now, because they get to edit out the stuff that didn't work. When you watch full shows from past decades, it was just as hit or miss then. Now we look at something like "what's up with that" and wonder why they keep doing it. Then the same was said at some point about the Gap girls, or copy guy. It's kind of amazing that in one weeks time with virtually no early prep they manage to produce the show. The nature of how it's done means it will always be hit or miss. It's kind of amazing that it hits as often as it does.
    Sorry, but they were always funny. "What's Up With That?" has NEVER been funny. There were plenty of sketches back then that stunk, but IMO the two you mentioned aren't on that list.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

I thought my mentioning of Gap girls and What's up with that would be understood to be my opinions, and not a statement of fact. If that didn't come across I will clear it up now. I heard someone associated with the show, I think Lorne Michaels or Seth Meyers but don't remember for sure, say that in a great show each viewer has two sketches they love, one they hate, and others they laugh at bit don't remember. The point was that everyone's sense of humor is different and that if people have different reactions like that then they've answered to most of the audience. Think the sketches I mentioned fall in that category. Some love them, others hate them. After all, with Ehats up with that, Keenan wanted to retire it two years ago. When it's been brought back since then, it's been at the request of the host. So someone must like it.

I liked the Gap girls, too. I don't mind skits where the setups and characters are the same, like the cheerleaders (still funny) and so on, but I do get annoyed when it's the same joke over and over. But you're right, everyone has their own ideas about what's funny. I loved Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer, and pretty much any Christopher Walken skit, especially the googly-eyes gardener who was afraid of plants.

Watch Saturday Night Live: Googly Eyes Gardener online | Free | Hulu
    beerbelly likes this.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

I usually skip the musical guests on SNL. I also really dislike country music, so I was definitely planning to skip "Alabama Shakes" just because it sounds like the name of a country band. However, as I started fast forwarding through them I stopped because the singer had such an unusual look. When I played I realized that they are really more blues/rock than country and their singer is amazing! I thought there was something completely mesmerizing about her performance and her voice is incredible!!
    AlwaysVeg likes this.

Saturday Night Live

Alabama Shakes are amazing. I didn't realize they were on SNL - will have to YouTube the performances. I'm the opposite, I will only tune in to SNL if I notice there is a musical guest worth watching.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fogey

They are absolutely amazing! I had heard a couple of friends mention them prior to being on SNL but didn't think much of it. Since their appearance, I've downloaded multiple songs and I'm hooked! I remember long ago when SNL used to be viewed as a venue to "break" music groups that were on the verge of making it really big, and they lost their way in that regard for a while. With the Alabama Shakes apperance, I think they've gotten back on that path! Even several members of the cast have tweeted this week about not being able to stop listening to them.

Saturday Night Live

I remember seeing System of a Down for the first time on SNL and being immediately smitten. And my girls pulled a late-nighter a couple weeks ago to see Justin Bieber.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread