+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Saturday Night Live

Re: Saturday Night Live

I don't watch this very often because usually I'm asleep by the time it comes on but also because a bunch of the times I don't really know who the guest hosts are or don't like them like Bieber. When I do watch I feel like a bunch of guests on there just don't do that great of a job combined with some bad writing.

FORT Fogey

I have trouble staying awake through it, but I saw most of Bieber and thought he was better than expected in the sketches. I hate his music! He and Taylor Swift are competing for the most juvenile lyrics, in my opinion, but then they are both catering to the young teen crowd. Glad to know someone else can't stand The Californians! I mute that when it comes on, but it's still obnoxious. I miss Kristin Wiig and her characters, but one or two of the women who were supporting players last year are coming into their own. Would like to see more of Jay Pharoah ... he has Eddie Murphy potential if they wrote more for him.

There was an interesting show on last night at the same time as the Grammys, about SNL in the '80s and all the problems they had getting a good cast, writers, and producers. They were off the air for a while and got panned by the critics repeatedly. Some of the old cast members were talking about how they had to play up to the writers to get decent material written for them. I had forgotten about some of the cast members from that era, like Gilbert Gottfreid and Joan Cusack.
    bee stung lips likes this.

FORT Fogey

One of the things that many SNL castmembers have always said is that getting air time on the show is not about playing up to the writers -- it's about figuring out how to write for yourself. The people who become big stars from the show usually partner with one of the writers - Will Ferrel had Adam McKay, Amy Poehler had Emily Spivey, etc - but they come up with ideas and develop them on their own. I think the issue with Pharoh is that he's a great performer, but not a great sketch writer.The principal character he does was created by him, and he does a lot of the writing for it - and it almost always makes it on air. He's one of the few from the show who is performing AND still doing stand up. I think he may end up writing his best materials for his standup, which is why he's not on the show as much.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    One of the things that many SNL castmembers have always said is that getting air time on the show is not about playing up to the writers -- it's about figuring out how to write for yourself. The people who become big stars from the show usually partner with one of the writers - Will Ferrel had Adam McKay, Amy Poehler had Emily Spivey, etc - but they come up with ideas and develop them on their own. I think the issue with Pharoh is that he's a great performer, but not a great sketch writer.The principal character he does was created by him, and he does a lot of the writing for it - and it almost always makes it on air. He's one of the few from the show who is performing AND still doing stand up. I think he may end up writing his best materials for his standup, which is why he's not on the show as much.
    That's exactly opposite to what Julia Louis-Dreyfuss and other former cast members from the 1980s who were interviewed for that show last night said. They said they had to learn how to play up to the writers and get them to write specifically for them (the cast). Otherwise, they were hardly in any of the sketches. Maybe what you're referring to is more recent.

FORT Fogey

Yes. What I'm referring to is comments that have been made by people who were on the show in the past decade. They would also be people who worked under Lorne Michaels leadership, as opposed to the people in the 80s who were on the show when Lorne was gone. Speaking of which, did anyone else see that in prep for the show last week, Justin Bieber tweeted a picture with Lorne which he captioned "Thanks Lauren". Oops. Apparently Bieber is not familair with the Canadian who is the more successful of the two in the entertainment world!

FORT Fogey

These days, I only tune in for the initial sketch before the intro, and Weekend Update. The body of the show is no longer funny to me.

FORT Fogey

I absolutely hated that recurring sketch they used to do with the family who all kissed each other with their tongues in each other's mouths and slobbering all over their faces. May they never revive it! That's probably my #2 most disliked sketch behind The Californians (honestly, I don't understand why they think that's funny enough to keep repeating). I think Kristin Wiig was such a huge part of the show that they're still finding their way with the other female performers this season. SNL will never be as good as it was the first 4-5 years (with the exception of the few years with Eddie Murphy, Dana Carvey, Martin Short and Mike Myers), and that's kind of sad.

FORT Fogey

I actually like this season SO much better than the last couple of seasons with Kristen Wiig. I love Kristen, and think she's a GREAT talent. But one of my favorite things about SNL has always been the team atmosphere of the casts. When I think of my favorite eras, it's always been times when there were teams playing off each other -- Mike Meyers, Kevin Nealon, Dana Carvey; Adam Sandler, Chris Farley, David Spade and Chris Rock; Amy Poehler, Maya Rudolph, Rachel Dratch, Jimmy Fallon, Will Forte, Seth Meyers. In the Amy/Maya/Rachel/Tina years, you hear stories about how one or two in the cast would realize that another member wasn't getting much air time, and would create characters and situations to make sure they were used. I love those casts that seem to get the idea that they all look good if they focus on making each other look good. With Kristen Wiig, it always seemed like she had to get the biggest laughs, and her ego had to be served the most. She'd team up with people, but her star always had to shine a little brighter. That took away some of the fun for me. I like that we get to see different faces now.

FORT Fogey

Kristin Wiig was featured a lot because she was that good. There were no other female cast members, especially in the last couple of years before she left, who approached her level of talent.
    candor likes this.

FORT Fogey

I agree. I'd also say that when Will Farrel was on the show, none of the other men were as good as he was. When Amy Poehler was on the show, none of the women were as good as she was. But teamwork and longevity come into play with a show like that too. They lost some good women on the show who could have been great, because they never had a chance to get out from behind Kristen's shadow. Will and Amy were willing to share the laughs with other castmembers. Part of the reason Kristen was totally ready to take over when Amy Poehler left was because Amy had been willing to share the spotlight with her when she first joined the cast. Now, because Kristen dominated so much, women like Vanessa Bayer and Nasim Pedrad were not quite as ready to take over a leading role, because some of the parts that Kristen didn't HAVE to take when she was there, she did.

+ Reply to Thread