+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 39 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Saturday Night Live

Season premiere pretty much stunk. I didn't find very much of it funny at all. Horatio, Rachel, and Tina are gone.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    ACF, I couldn't agree more. I watched it to see the Killers (whom I inexplicably like) and sat there bored out of my mind for about the first 30 minutes waiting for the first song to come on. It was painfully unfunny.

FORT Fogey
    Absolutely unfunny. MadTV wins it this time

I never watch SnL anymore because it really isn't funny. I assumed it would be better with Dane Cook hosting this past week, but it wasn't. And the killers preformance was awful. I hate to be so negative, but they really need to make some changes.

The only somewhat good part was at the end of that horrible sketch with the water delivery guys and the bottles that would not stop falling out of the closet, when the guys were talking and it ended up that they were going to be an SNL skit and then they flat out said something along the lines of yeah, but it won't be funny. That part was funny since the skit sucked so bad, but more in a painful 'and I watched it this long!?!?' kind of way. What a waste of Dane Cook. Next week is Jaime Pressley from Earl and I'm sure they'll waste her as well.
    Wag more, bark less

Re: Saturday Night Live

I am resurrecting this thread because I started watching SNL a lot more during the campaign season and really enjoyed it.
    I was looking forward to catching Neil Patrick Harris last night, but was only able to catch about the last third of the show. I'll probably try to catch the rest online. However, I did see Taylor Swift's second performance singing the song Forever & Always. Now I am not a country fan, but I do like her song Love Story and I liked this song also - they are cute and could very much be considered pop. However, I thought her performance was pretty bad. She kept making hand gestures that were matchy-matchy with the song lyrics, which came of really cheesy (like closing her eyes when the lyrics said so and making a talking mouth with her hand to indicate saying hello in the lyrics). I realize that she is 19 and therefore an adult, but it also seemed like she was trying way to hard to be "sexy" and it just looked really wrong - awkward and forced and not at all in line with the kind of song she was singing.

Did anyone else see her performance? Am I just crazy?

On the other hand at least she didn't attempt to lip sync her performance....

I flipped elsewhere during Taylor, but the rest of the show was one of the funniest they've done in a while. NPH was a great host, had a clever monologue, reprised his role of Mark from Rent for a sketch about Broadway shows closing in droves, and was in a Digital Short where he led an orchestra playing the Doogie Howser theme...with the orchestra all dressed as Doogies.

They also did a scathing parody of Kathie Lee Gifford and Hota Kotb on the Today Show, which was spot-on. NPH played an aerobics instructor who led them in some flamboyant exercise moves, and was hilarious again. I really hope they have him back.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

FORT Fogey

I agree with you MFW about Neil Patrick Harris as a host. I thought he was outstanding. He was willing to make fun of himself, but didn't take it to the point of making the entire show about him. It was really a great showcase of what a talent he is ... to think that for many years, so many people were fine writing him off as that Doogie Howser guy. My favorite line about him of the entire night was in the monologue when he was talking about back in the 90s talking to his girlfriend, and the only thing she said was "Why won't you kiss me?"

Mr. Harris was, as always, outstanding (that "why won't you kiss me?" line had me rolling"). And I really hate to admit it, but Will Forte's song of appreciation for awful things during the news segment had me laughing until I hurt. And things like this are why I still watch.

I have never given up on SNL because history has shown that after any unremittingly awful period, a renaissance blooms. I was really afraid that with the absence of Tina, Amy, Maya and Rachel things would go to hell in a handbasket, so I was pleasantly surprised by this past episode. I could really live without the current "fat dude", though. The new one that is, not Kenan Thompson - him I like.

Per usual, though, I fast-forwarded through the musical act.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I tuned out of SNL a while ago because I just didn't find it entertaining any longer. However when I knew NPH was hosting, I had to watch. He was great throughout the show and my favorite part was the digital short with him playing the Doogie Howser theme song.

You could definitely tell Taylor wasn't lip synching . Her voice was low and weak and it's obvious her album has digital help. I do like her songs though.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

+ Reply to Thread