+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree111Likes

Thread: Saturday Night Live

People see what they want to see. I laughed my ass off at most of the skits. I thought JBs opening number was funny--I dont tend to watch the opening monologue/number by the host, because they are usually forced and unfunny. I also thought the Queer Eye take off was pretty funny too. Huggies Thong...Pretty funny commercial. Yeah the dancing skit was too long, but JBs physicality made it funny. The wine skit, I didnt really get it, so I changed the channel.

I like John Mayer.

SNL must be doing something right, because those are some of the hardest tickets to get in NYC.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

PSi
    I should start off this week by apologizing for not knowing that it was Darrel Hammond doing the Arnold cold opening. I thought that someone of his skill and talent couldn’t possibly do something so bad. I mean, it’s not exactly hard. All you have to do is stammer in a deep German accent, not a nasally one. That’s like doing a squeaky Barry White. So I apologize for that.
    So, without further delay, the disasterpiece known as Saturday Night Live.

Beforehand:
    I am going into this with an open mind. It would be too easy to roll my eyes, groan and go “ugh. Justin Timberlake. I can only wait to hear the pre-pubescent girly screams at every waking second,” but I won’t. I am going into the show with an open mind. They did pull off decent shows with non-traditional hosts (Spears, any politician); it’s just a matter of scene structure. If Justin’s the centerpiece, I expect it to fail, but if he’s not the focal point and a cameo character (Wake up Wakefield, Bostonians) then it has potential to not suck…as much. Well, here goes nothing.

COLD OPENING: Hardball

There’s never a bad hardball sketch. The only thing I really didn’t like was Amy Poehler’s character, Ann Coulter. She was, to be modest, mildly annoying with her childish antics. They could have put a half dozen better characters in there. But that doesn’t detract from the overall greatness known as Hardball.

Actors: Hammond, Richards, Poehler, Kenan,
    Best Line: Hammond: If I said you looked like a kneecap with hair, that’d be slander.
    Length: 5 minutes
    RATING: …8/10

MONOLOGUE

Does anyone remember when MC Hammer did a performance in his opening monologue? Just making a parallel here. This would get an automatic zero for performing a regular song in the monologue, but I will give a couple for the Justin trying to sing to the guy.

Actors: none
    Best Line: Justin: I don’t sign dude’s breasts
    Length: 5.34
    RATING: 2/10

PUNK’D: Barely Legal

*Shrugs* It does capture Ashton’s annoyingness. It was pretty funny. The scenes weren’t bad. It was pretty short. Decent.

Actors: Parnell, Richards, Haoratio, Kenan, Mya, Finesse,
    Best Line: Justin: You’re gonna be a mom. You just got Punk’d. We just switched out your birth control pills.
    Length: 2:32
    RATING: 6/10

CNN: Schwarzenegger Press Conference

His accent has gotten better…no wait he lost it, no wait its back again. He falls in and out his accent. The sad thing is that although the accent has gotten better, it was even less funny than before. They should give up.

Actors: Hammond,
    Best Line: More with the carrying of the fireboxes and bookcases to the office.
    Length: 354
    RATING: 2/10

NEWLYWEDS

An announcement from the newlyweds. I get the feeling that people will be giving this a 9 or a 10, but it fails in comparison to the show. I guess imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but stick with the original.

Actors: Fallon,
    Best Line: Jim: She couldn’t even cure a ham. Justin: Awww, the ham is sick?
    Length: 300
    RATING: 6/10

Next Week .Halle Berry & Brittany Spears. Hmm…

BENNY’S/OMLETTEVILLE

I can only take so much of Justin’s singing right about now…which is all this really was. Nothing good came from this sketch

Actors: Parnell,
    Best Line: Parnell (in sarcastic voice): What are you going to do, dance?
    Length: 4.00
    RATING: Shoot me…1/10

DIRECT TV: Gary Busey

Good impersonation. Good delivery. Simply put.

Actors: Richards,
    Best Line: My farts smell like butterscotch. No joke. They either smell like butt or scotch.
    Length: 1.07
    Rating: 8/10

BOSTONIANS:

You can hear the cheers the instant the scene starts up. I, personally, thinks its overrated. Its bad enough I live close enough to Boston, I have to live with the accent. This will probably get some 10’s from other people just because, well, its on TV, but Horatio, like many times before, is the only saving grace.

Actors: Dratch, Fallon, Parnell, Seth, Horatio
    Best Line: Jim: That lady didn’t say it, you’re a jinx. I’ll take you down like Don Zimmer
    Length: 4.15
    RATING: 5/10

PERFORMANCE #2

I could make the “it’d be nice if that chandelier mysteriously fell on his head right about now…” but I look at it this way 1. he’s playing an instrument 2. he’s not with 4 other morons on stage dancing like they’re having seizures…at the same time. Nevertheless, I do not rate performances…thank God I can fast forward through this garbage.

WEEKEND UPDATE

…whoa? It was short, no cameo appearances, all the jokes had delivery, Tina actually held her composure while on camera, The only thing I can think of is Justin’s performances went over and they had to cut out something. But…the only thing I can say is that it was, for the most part, flawless. I could find something if I looked hard enough, but I was actually, for the first time since the duo has hosted, impressed by this week’s WU.
    Jimmy’s pencil toss dead on, but falls short.

Actors: Fallon, Fey.
    Best Line: Fallon: It was the largest gathering of gay men in Paris since the day before.
    Length: 435
    RATING: 10/10

SHARON OSBOURNE SHOW

The pooping bit would have been funnier if it were real, but alas, it was part of the show. How many singing sketches must we see with Justin? *sigh* That poor dog. But the sad thing is, although it is critically panned, the ratings are pretty decent. Amy does a good impersonation, but eh…Armison’s QT impersonation is no more than fast stuttering…as opposed to Horatio’s slow stuttering. The segment is a little long, made moreso because it wasn’t that funny.

Actors: Poehler, Armison, Horatio
    Best Line: Horatio stuttering as ozzy? I don’t know
    Length: 522
    RATING: A generous 4/10

JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE/KERMIT SING

Justin sings…again. But this one is actually worth watching. Forte’s impersonation is dead on. The Kermit, however looks so ghetto. But I am beginning to think that Will Forte is a genius. The one sketch he’s in every week is always solid. Last year’s box sketch was a top three in my mind and this is just as good. His subtle humor is great. The best part is when Will’s talking as Kermit to Justin and himself.

Actors: Forte
    Best Line: Will: And Justin can you say you’re sorry to Will for being douche bag?
    Length: 338
    RATING: 10/10

CARL WEATHERS FOR GOVERNOR

Carl Weathers? Wow. Where’d they dig him up? Who’s next, Jim J Bullock? How about That Girl? What can you say about it?

Actors: Parnell (VO)
    Best Line: I’m Carl Weathers. I’m the black guy from Predator
    Length: 130
    RATING: 8/10

The girls discuss Justin?

This…is…painful..to…watch….Wha t, is Amy’s cackling funny? Does everyone turn into a 12 year old star struck girl when they see him? I search desperately for something good to say about this sketch…Hmmm…It wasn’t six minutes long? Seriously, how come this wasn’t left on the cutting room floor? I’d gladly take another two minutes of WU. Have a cameo from Drunk Girl where she tells Tina about how Governor Arnold groped her. That’d be funny. Hell, if they put a picture of a toaster on screen for two minutes, that’d be better than this sketch.

Actors: Mya, Dratch, Poelher
    Best Line: none.
    Length: 220
    RATING: 0/10

JUSTIN SINGS ….again

We’ve seen him sing in the monologue, as an omlette , as Michael Bolton, as himself twice…why not one more? The kids can’t get enough of Justin’s singing. Good thing that the kids who actually buy his album don’t actually stay up until 1 in the morning. I bet when E! gets this episode next year, all it will be is Justin singing the whole time.

BARRY GIBB TALKSHOW

…and he sings as . Ok, that is how Barry Gibb speaks, but still annoying nonetheless. Justin tries not to laugh, and when he’s not doing that, kills the energy. What is the point of this? Its not funny. Ooh Jimmy can do a stupid voice, lets laugh. No. Painful.
    Social Commentary point- The kids who worship Justin don’t know who the BeeGee’s are..nor anything else from that era.. Sad. Very Sad.

Actors: Fallon, Horatio, Richards, Dratch,
    Best Line: Fallon: Every time you speak its like someone dropped a car battery on my sack
    Length: 4.45
    Rating: 1/10

Then they al say goodbye. Why is Seth Myers dressed as a cowboy? Strange.

OVERALL:
    This is a tough episode to call. It did have a couple of things which got (deservingly so) 1’s and 0’s, but then again there were some things that upped the curve. Too much Justin singing brought down the curve big time. When the last two sketches get a 1/20…it hurts the overall rating. Too much singing brought down a pretty solid episode. It’s sad, but I guess if you like Justin Timberlake, it’s 10’s across the board. Call me the stingy Russian judge I guess.

OVERALL RATING
    71/140 (5.1)
    FELT LIKE: 6/10

Best Performer: Will Forte
    Worst Performer: Seth Myers. One sketch and he was a peripheral character...not too good.
    Line of the Week: Will Forte: Justin, can you say you’re sorry to Will for being douche bag?

Appearances in sketches: (Today/Season Total)
    Fallon: 4/6
    Richards: 4/6
    Parnell: 4/7
    Horatio: 4/8
    Amy: 3/8
    Dratch: 3/9
    Mya 2/10
    Hammond: 2/4
    Kenan: 2/5
    Seth: 1/4
    Tina: 1/4
    Finesse: 1/4
    Armison: 1/3
    Forte: 1/3

Final Words: Thank You for reading.
    PSi.

see, it just goes to show if the host is someone you like, the show is going to be better in your eyes. i am actually not a pre-pubescent girl, but rather a 33 year old with an affinity for justin, so i actually sat through this episode last night... from start to finish... which i've not done since the show was good.

and i really enjoyed it, with the skits i enjoyed being the ones you liked the least and the ones you liked the most being almost unbearable to me. i hated the hardball skit in the beginning and i would be ok without ever seeing or hearing darrell hammond ever again. he can't even get me to break a smile when i WANT to be entertained... and i'm easily entertained (see "affinity for justin timberlake" above. )

and i loved the omelet skit. hell, he sang britney's "slave" song as an omelet. i'm totally entertained.

the funniest skit of the night imho was the punk'd skit. had me

FORT Fogey
    I thought last nights episode was great! I'm a big fan of Justin, so even if the skit wasn't funny i was too busy looking at him to notice

The Lost Prophet CashMoneySoviet's Avatar
    Ahh! I missed it! Noooo!

I thought it was a funny episode. Can't wait till Halle and Brittany next week.

From weekend update:

"In an effort to improve her image, Shannon Doherty has signed on to produce and act in a new sitcom about a woman who has a reputation for being difficult and mean, but who is really kind at heart. Doherty will play that woman's bitchy friend."

"Last weekend, a couple hiking in a remote mountain in Sweden found 70 pairs of shoes, all filled with butter. To see something like that here in America, you would have to travel all the way to Star Jones closet."

Quote Originally Posted by holiday

From weekend update:

"In an effort to improve her image, Shannon Doherty has signed on to produce and act in a new sitcom about a woman who has a reputation for being difficult and mean, but who is really kind at heart. Doherty will play that woman's bitchy friend."
    that was my FAVORITE line in the show!!

The Lost Prophet CashMoneySoviet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by holiday

"Last weekend, a couple hiking in a remote mountain in Sweden found 70 pairs of shoes, all filled with butter. To see something like that here in America, you would have to travel all the way to Star Jones closet."
    LMAO, thats great!

I didn't think i'd laugh, I usually don't like the Donatella scetches, but oh my gosh, her screaming GET OUT at that second kid, and Horatio as Elton .. great stuff.

edit (i'm on westcoast, just watching this now [damn Brit is hot, however this first song she is doing right now really sucks, and if she isn't lip synking then it sure looks like she is])

the Starquisha scetch was pretty funny. I thought it would be good, it started great, then sucked. That Sunday Enqiurer ad was great, I almost thought it was true .. if they seriously did a weekly OJ update or the who's gay alert!, i'd be a subscriber ..

i'll post the best weekend update jokes tomorrow, this is a fun show thus far
    Last edited by holiday; 10-19-2003 at 04:16 AM.

just a quick update here .. WU - Da bears! They going down tomorrow (sorry Chicagonians) .. funny stuff though .. that whole WU was the setup for a crummy scetch and it was I guess as good as it deserved to be ... Seahawks all the way!!
    Last edited by holiday; 10-19-2003 at 04:38 AM.

+ Reply to Thread