+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 39 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Saturday Night Live

FORT Fogey
    I saw a tease on last weeks show (Drew Barrymore repeat) that Xtina Aguilarra is hosting an upcoming episode but that someone else (i cant recall who) is the musical guest.

Anyone who knows me, knows how much I tend to dislike skanky Pop-tarts who sell their bodies first and music second (or 4th or 5th).

But I always gave X-tina credit for being the most talented (by far) of the lot as an actual singer and song writer with a strong, multi-octave voice.

So how ironic, that the one Pop-tart who doesnt lip sync 99% of the time is not the musical guest on the show she is hosting.

Anyone know for sure why she isnt the host and musical guest? Maybe it was her choice.

I saw a Katie Couric interview with Tina Fey this past weekend. She seemed very bright and articulate.. I don't understand where all the bathroom humour comes from? She's part of the National Honours Society, she's a smart cookie.. where is the smart humour?
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

PSi
    Daddio- they already have had 2 music/hosts already this season. and Maroon 5 was the guest.that was 21 Feb (Episode 13)
    Plus, Brittney was only the musical guest, plus Christina was a musical guest last year.

and there are three shows left.
    Linsay Lohan/Usher 1 May (ugh)
    TBA / TBA 8 May (two old rumours for this was Matthew Perry and the Rock, but who knows)
    and Season Finale MaryKate&Ashley Olsen / TBA (...ugh)

and Regardiing Tina- she's the head writer, so others are involved.
    Someone posted a writers list for the Janet Episode. They attneded a friday rehearsal and had the writers names on the sketches

Tuscan Vineyard (Higgins/Murry/KenwardSchur/McNicholas)
    Prince Show (Armisen/Anderson/Lutz)
    Good Times (Fey/Sudeikis)
    Boom Boomer (Slovin/Allen)
    Janet's Monologue (Talarico)
    Cheney/Rice Cold Open (Smigel)
    Easter Treat (Sanz, Fallon, Kenward)

PIECES THAT WERE CUT...
    Boombox Barry (Sanz/Kenward)
    Control (Spivey/Anderson)
    Easter Dinner (Fey/Anderson)

So, one can assume she had nothing to do with Cork Soakers (even though it was reported she had written Col. Angus).
    But you ultimately have to write to your target audience. Look at Late Night with Conan...the mastrubating bear...thats says it all
    Also, to show her smart humour- all you have to do is look at her Weekend Update monolouges and all her anti-bushness. There's some smartness there, especially if you look at her WU jokes that got cut (and there are a good deal of them)...so ...eh.

PSi
    Also Duxxy- if you want to see more Tina, here's her talkshow schedule.

Thu, Apr 22: Tina on The Today Show
    Fri, Apr 23: Tina on The Ellen DeGeneres Show
    Wed, Apr 28: Tina on The View (w/Lindsay Lohan)
    Thu, Apr 29: Tina on Conan O'Brien
    Fri, Apr 30: Tina's movie, Mean Girls is released
    Sat, May 1: Lindsay Lohan / Usher

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by PSi
    Daddio- they already have had 2 music/hosts already this season. and Maroon 5 was the guest.that was 21 Feb (Episode 13)
    Plus, Brittney was only the musical guest, plus Christina was a musical guest last year.

and there are three shows left.
    Linsay Lohan/Usher 1 May (ugh)
    TBA / TBA 8 May (two old rumours for this was Matthew Perry and the Rock, but who knows)
    and Season Finale MaryKate&Ashley Olsen / TBA (...ugh)

Thanks PSi! Appreciate the info.

If the Rock does indeed host the May 1 episode, they can have (recently enshrined in the Rock n' Roll Hall of Famer) Bob Segar be the musical guest and he can play the song "Like a Rock" and change it to "Like THE Rock". Side-splitting comedy surely to ensue.

When the Olson twins host they can have Michael Jackson as musical guest...wait, the Olson twins are girls...scratch that. How about Eagles (you can no longer call them "The" Eagles due to legaleze initiated by a former "kicked out" member, so they are now simply "Eagles") can host. They are touring a new album and I believe two members had legal issues involving underage girls.

This will save Tina and her staff some time as script fodder is already there. LOL

i loved janet Jackson two weeks ago.
    this week wasn't really funny. Kelis cannot sing. It seemed like she was going for a rock version.
    the only funny scene from the past saturday 4/17/2004 i think was.. hm.. let me rewatch it.

but i loved when Megan Mellally did that musical one with the guys.
    oh and i love "Zinger" and "slam"

PSi
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddio
    Thanks PSi! Appreciate the info.

If the Rock does indeed host the May 1 episode, they can have (recently enshrined in the Rock n' Roll Hall of Famer) Bob Segar be the musical guest and he can play the song "Like a Rock" and change it to "Like THE Rock".

How about Eagles (you can no longer call them "The" Eagles due to legaleze initiated by a former "kicked out" member, so they are now simply "Eagles") can host.
    Huh? You obviously haven't been paying attention at who's been hosting and whatnot This is the year of the teenybopper. Outside of the Trump episode, it's all been top 40 (maroon 5, kelis, G Unit, Janet, Justin, Spears, Pink, Outkast, Mayer, Usher)

it's going to be a top40 band....maybe Hillary Duff or someone horrible. I will go so far to say that i would be shocked if it were a classic rock act.

Quote Originally Posted by DjDeluxay
    i loved janet Jackson two weeks ago.
    this week wasn't really funny. Kelis cannot sing. It seemed like she was going for a rock version.
    the only funny scene from the past saturday 4/17/2004 i think was.. hm.. let me rewatch it.
    Last week (4/17) was Drew Barrymore and Kelis repeat. It had the prince show...and it had some stuff that certain people liked (white stripes, jaret's room, young bush/kerry/clinton)...eh.

Is this a repeat?? Xtina and Maroon5?? I swear I've seen this already.

.. if it is a repeat there's no hope of an Omarosa-walks-off-of-Jimmy -Kimmel spoof
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

PSi
    It's a repeat from 2/21. The review can be found at post #93.

FORT Fogey
    I caught the Xtina hosted rerun this past Saturday night.

I felt she did an admiral to above-average job for a non-actor. She didnt have all the wooden posturing and "starting at the cue cards" look to her that so many non-actors who host the show normally display. And she was quite funny and overall talented. She probably could do some legitimat comedic acting in movies and TV if she wanted to go that route. Combine this with her strong voice and songwriting and she will definately - IMHO - have the longest shelf-life of the current crop of sleaze-tarts.

But she does need to consider toning the "I'm anyone and everyones' sex toy" inage down a bit. IMHO its one noted and way stale.

Further to this, my favorite part of the show was the "Back Stage at Xtina's Concert" skit where all these fringe celebrities (Starr Jones, Patti Labelle, Sharon & Ozzy) come in and give her a varying series of - "Your a total skank slut - but you have a great voice - even if you did do the whole football team" - lines.

Totally hit the nail on the head - right down to Xtina's normal reply of "I'm just expressing my sexuality" drivel - almost as if she wasnt in on the fact that it was a bit and still part of the show.

Stick to your guns Xtina, keep saying that to the parents of your pubescant fans, the press, the doctors at the STD clinic...

It seemed that nearly every skit was an excuse for her to either act or dance like a stripper (does she have to do that "squat like a catcher" and grab your crotch move every 20 seconds?).

And PSi's recap was also right on the money too...she DOES look plastic...her face is all shiney like a dolls, and her boob job was horribly done...they sit way too far apart and generally are just too big for her frame...and yes it does seem like she needs to have her bra popping out of every outfit.

So, I do think that Xtina is talented as a singer, songwriter and actress...but she needs to lose the stripper image if she wants to be take seriously by the mainstream. IMHO.

Jennifer Lopez has admitted that she regrets giving herself the monicer JLo, I wonder when Christina will reconsider wanting to be know as Xtina.
    Last edited by Daddio; 04-26-2004 at 01:30 PM.

+ Reply to Thread