+ Reply to Thread
Page 64 of 66 FirstFirst ... 1454555657585960616263646566 LastLast

Thread: Joan of Arcadia

Quote Originally Posted by dietcokegirl
    I am completely devestated by this.
    For some reason, it's almost guarenteed these days that if the writing is good -- the actors are good -- and it's critically aclaimed -- it's going to get trashed .. for more -- desperate housewives style programing.

Or, dare I say it....more Reality TV programming???
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Actually, I read that the demographics were too old, so they are replacing it with a show about a teenager (Jennifer Love Hewitt) who talks to GHOSTS because they thought talking to God was too old-fashioned. This was in an MSN news clip yesterday. It said fans were trying to get it reinstated by bombarding the network with protest e-mails.
    Count your blessings!

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter
    Actually, I read that the demographics were too old, so they are replacing it with a show about a teenager (Jennifer Love Hewitt) who talks to GHOSTS because they thought talking to God was too old-fashioned. This was in an MSN news clip yesterday. It said fans were trying to get it reinstated by bombarding the network with protest e-mails.
    Yeah, I bet the head of CBS is regretting that little quote.... I think they also think they can go into more "sexy" situations with JLH than with the character they've established with Joan. She's going to stay a virgin for a long time now, her older brother is dating an ex nun, her younger brother is younger, her parents are married.... With the JLH character she can be single and dating, and there are no religious purity overtones to talking to ghosts.
    And they think those situations will draw better in the young adult market. Of course at 8pm on a Friday night ... but then the "action" doesn't start til much later so maybe the young adults are still at home getting ready to go out.

Actually, I read that the demographics were too old, so they are replacing it with a show about a teenager (Jennifer Love Hewitt) who talks to GHOSTS because they thought talking to God was too old-fashioned.
    When you put it that way, it sounds like this new show will be a rip off. A very strange, messed up ripoff, but still, a ripoff. I want JoA back.....
    Favorite Reality Tv Quote Ever:
    "You have to do it. You have to accomplish your dreams." - Charla, The Amazing Race 5

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter
    I thought I read that she plays a young newlywed???? Either way, I doubt that I will be watching it as I am not a JLH fan.

The first season of Joan of Arcadia was so good. I wouldn't mind buying season 1 on DVD. The second season was sort of blah! I didn't really care whether I missed an episode or not. The producers seemed to have lost sight of what the show was all about. Plus I don't even remember seeing the young-looking God in the second seasons episodes.

JLH? I'm very certain I won't be watching a show starring her.

It was bittersweet seeing Joan of Arcadia on last friday. It was nice enough seeing it, but somewhat surprising; I figured they'd just drop it like a hot rock and immediately fill the slot with some other trash.

I liked momgirl's answer when Will asked her what she thought of his devil woman boss:

"She's me....
    If I were shorter, political, and didn't have a soul"

Her BS detector seems to be in fine working order when it comes to encroaching females

I would have preferred that the Girardi family in general hadn't played such a large role in the show and could have done without Will's policework altogether and possibly even him, but I believe more that they had one kid too many and that kid was Kevin. I suppose he brought a bunch of convienient soul searching opportunities to the script, but he seemed a drag on the show overall.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Really? I liked Kevin. I expect he was in the show originally because they needed a cute guy to attract the young female viewer who's too old for crushing on Adam.... But I thought he developed well as a character altho there were a few jigs and jags with his love life where they seemed to lose track of what they'd had him say and do the previous weeks.

I didn't consider Kevin unlikeable so much as a character taking away airtime from those I'd have preferred to see more of. From earlier posts some time back I gathered that I'm probably in the minority in wanting less family interaction and more Joan/God.

Your mentioning them needing a cute guy of a particular age coupled with the earlier posts speaking about demographic desires of the network remind me that its often more difficult than simply presenting a good storyline, you have to cater to specific target groups as well. That's a shame, I believe. Judging from my age I guess the parents are the ones I should have been bonding visually with, but I could have easily gotten by with seeing them ever so briefly every third episode or so, and while it was Joan and her school tribemates that was the secondary focus for me aside from Joan and God, it wasn't in a appreciating their looks sort of way. I liked Joan and her crowd because they were several self confident notches removed from their A list counterparts.They were all flawed in not so hidden fashion, and that made them more of a viewing draw for me than seeing someone extremely able capably handling whatever came their way without a stumble or stutter.

I was just thinking what could have made things different for JOA to have made it a keeper either from the beginning or when the numbers started fading from what was desired/demanded.

Other than airing on another network that wasn't fighting at the top for first place advertising rates (and subsequently being less patient), or being afforded a shot at redemption by shifting to another timeslot, I believe the show would have been better off choosing a core and sticking with it, either Joan/God/School or Joan/God/Family. They bit off more than was necessary, and making a choice I would have minimized the family/policeworld aspects, though not have eliminated them entirely.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
    I didn't consider Kevin unlikeable so much as a character taking away airtime from those I'd have preferred to see more of. From earlier posts some time back I gathered that I'm probably in the minority in wanting less family interaction and more Joan/God.

Your mentioning them needing a cute guy of a particular age coupled with the earlier posts speaking about demographic desires of the network remind me that its often more difficult than simply presenting a good storyline, you have to cater to specific target groups as well. That's a shame, I believe. Judging from my age I guess the parents are the ones I should have been bonding visually with, but I could have easily gotten by with seeing them ever so briefly every third episode or so, and while it was Joan and her school tribemates that was the secondary focus for me aside from Joan and God, it wasn't in a appreciating their looks sort of way. I liked Joan and her crowd because they were several self confident notches removed from their A list counterparts.They were all flawed in not so hidden fashion, and that made them more of a viewing draw for me than seeing someone extremely able capably handling whatever came their way without a stumble or stutter.

I was just thinking what could have made things different for JOA to have made it a keeper either from the beginning or when the numbers started fading from what was desired/demanded.

Other than airing on another network that wasn't fighting at the top for first place advertising rates (and subsequently being less patient), or being afforded a shot at redemption by shifting to another timeslot, I believe the show would have been better off choosing a core and sticking with it, either Joan/God/School or Joan/God/Family. They bit off more than was necessary, and making a choice I would have minimized the family/policeworld aspects, though not have eliminated them entirely.
    I think a lot of FORT fans of Joan are with you on dropping the police part...and it seemed to me that they did that... really near the end the main reason for the police part was the femme fatale boss who was interfering, or trying to, with the family. Of course that also gave Joan's dad some ethical issues to deal with, too, which tied in with those of the rest of the family.

+ Reply to Thread