+ Reply to Thread
Page 60 of 66 FirstFirst ... 105051525354555657585960616263646566 LastLast

Thread: Joan of Arcadia

cablejockey - Yes! That is what I always liked about the show and I haven't stopped thinking about implications and possibilities in the new set-up. In spite of the wind every time Ryan went up against Joan, I still maintain that God told Joan last night that he was just human like her, but chose "free will" as an excuse to not follow God's directives. Last week when Ryan made the remark about wondering why he had been instructed to go on the walk where he found Adam - it wasn't because he's interested in Adam (except as a pawn to get Joan's goat) it was to meet Joan. I'm not sure how I feel about learning she saw God when she was little (what did she call him/her?). Maybe she inherited this openess from her mom? Has Helen always had these dreams and is just now figuring out they mean something? I loved Lily's waffling about leaving the church after it was attacked and then being councelled to resolve her involvement with Kevin. I also liked how the show used Luke to explain to us the physics involved in Joan's being able to see Judith. Oh! It just occurred to me how the emphasis in Joan and Adam's relationship recently was on her keeping her virginity - and now she is the pure virgin up against the evil monster.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter
    (what did she call him/her?).
    Yaya (very close to Yahweh, the Hebrew name for God)

Maybe she inherited this openess from her mom?
    I hadn't thought of that. Very good observation...!

It just occurred to me how the emphasis in Joan and Adam's relationship recently was on her keeping her virginity - and now she is the pure virgin up against the evil monster.
    I thought of that too, except not in such a deep way (more like Adam seems drawn to the morose). And, I also thought about how Joan's dad is always so gloomy and pessimistic, but yet was so accepting of Ryan (albeit a little suspicious at first). But as one who always waffles on the God issue is now being drawn to the "other" side.

Thanks katkitty for coming up with Yaya - when I heard it I could almost reach the Yahweh connection, but it went by so fast I lost it. They say young children remember from whence they came easily at first and then lose the connection as they gain rationality. I've heard that said about reincarnation and heaven both. I remember my baby girl as a days-old infant laughing in her sleep and wondering what a child that young would be dreaming about that would make them laugh.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey
    what's with that wind that follows Ryan around?
    I think it is meant to portray chaos; something which has been associated with evil (on screen at least) over time. Goodness = order and evil = chaos.
    Everything is calm and then Ryan shows up and the wind stirs everything up. It could also just refer to stirring up trouble.

RE: Ryan
    If they are planning to use Ryan to stir things up for Joan, then I don't know; maybe I wouldn't mind it. But, I get the impression there is supposed to be some great face off between them, and then what - he just goes his own way? We would expect Joan to triumph in such a battle, so why even go there. Extra growth, well maybe?

If he is going to hang around each week, and just be annoying and sinister creating even more conflict for an already conflicted Joan; I don't know if I can stay with the show. The show is Great without him, can't see it getting better with his appearance - of course there is always the possibility that Joan could bring Ryan "back to the light".

Quote Originally Posted by lobeck
    I have to say this pretty much sums up how I feel about the show and why I've really enjoyed it. That last paragraph? Well, I think I agree with that, too. IF the show is renewed for another season and turns into a weekly "Joan vs. The Devil" battle, I may not be tuning in. And, after watching tonight's season finale, I'm hoping that's not what happens...
    Lots to say and ask about Joan of Arcadia:

1) So....despite the fact that most other CBS shows have been yelling at me, telling me that they have FOUR more shows in the can...this is "it" for JoA? The show ends in April? That sucks! It was hinted at in this thread, but sometimes I need things spelled out. Someone help me: Last show of the season or not?

2) Joan the Satan Slayer. Frankly, I'm glad that the show went this way; although I adore Amber and the regular cast of characters, there was NO plot to the show other than "Joan discovers empathy," "Joan discovers sorrow." Sorry, but almost any show on TV has characters dealing with empathy or sorrow and they don't have to have visions of God to do it. The fact that God has been preparing Joan for a 'test' all along makes it more interesting and plot driven to me.

3) Amber would agree with the above! How do I know? No, I'm not psychic nor am I receiving whispered words from female custodians or girls on trampolines, but earlier this year, I watched an indepth show on Amber. She talked about her stint on General Hospital?, her dad, her website...and the show. She has pushed the directors and TPTB to "make the show darker" (her exact words), because SHE was becoming bored with the repetitive nature of the series and she either wanted the show to "go somewhere" or she was seriously thinking of quitting. Not in a Diva-sorta way, but in an artist who wants to grow and the series she's starring in wasn't allowing that. So, this darker Evil vs. Good vs. The Path Not Taken was most likely HER idea, based on what she said in her interview.

4) Yup, Ryan is mortal, like Joan and as Gutmutter said, I think it's a case of Free Will and one child going one way and one going another in response to their "parent's" wishes.

The set up for next year, if there IS a next year, reminds me of one of my favorite movies: DOGMA. And that show came out years prior to THE DAVINCI CODE! Good Mortals with ties to God vs. Bad Mortals vs. Immortals. I've watched that movie at least a dozen times and the dialog and concept continue to blow me away. If they did one tenth of that theology/writing on Joan, I'd be thrilled beyond the telling of it.

5) And a BIG thank you to katkitty for the Yaya/Yahwah connection. It was rolling around in the most dusty areas of my mind and I couldn't pull the right name for God 'out' of the dustbunnies. I was so hoping that "Yaya" was "Yahweh" and NOT the Yaya Sisterhood!

6) Us Modern Folks have a tendency to think and believe that miracles and saints happened long ago, aside from "Miracle Grilled Cheeses" on ebay. What I like so much about JoA, is the "What if"? factor. What 'if' Joan of Arc was born in 1989 and was 16 years old today? Who would be her army? Who would believe her visions today? What political leader would she go to for help? Or to save? I hope my Joan has a Mission, beyond kissing Adam. We'll see.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar
    I'm intigued by the new direction the show will take, if it's renewed (Please, Please CBS!). There have been a few times in the first season that I thought they might be setting Joan up to face an evil foe, it hasn't ever worked out that way. While I'm not sure that I really want to see Joan pick up a sword and slay Satan or anything, I think there is the potential for Joan to thwart Ryan's doings, and perhaps turn him towards good, if not faith.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

lambikins - You might enjoy the Mark Salzman book, "Lying Awake" - about a modern day Carmelite nun who starts having visions. It compares her to St. Theresa of Avila who had similar visions, but modern day science finds the medical reason behind the visions and recommends a "cure". I wrote a paper about the book in grad school. Another book by the same author, "The Soloist" looks at Buddhism in modern light. Both thought-provoking and entertaining (and fairly short) reads. By the way, I really enjoyed the trampolining God-girl. I don't know why, but that really struck my funny bone.
    Count your blessings!

lambikins - You might enjoy the Mark Salzman book, "Lying Awake" - about a modern day Carmelite nun who starts having visions. It compares her to St. Theresa of Avila who had similar visions, but modern day science finds the medical reason behind the visions and recommends a "cure". I wrote a paper about the book in grad school. Another book by the same author, "The Soloist" looks at Buddhism in modern light. Both thought-provoking and entertaining (and fairly short) reads. By the way, I really enjoyed the trampolining God-girl. I don't know why, but that really struck my funny bone.
    Gutmutter I LOVE when people refer me to good books that escaped my radar! Both of those sound right up my alley and I'll check both ebay and Amazon to see what type of deal I can find. Thanks again, Gutmutter. You live up to your board name!

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins
    Yup, Ryan is mortal,
    A mortal who is followed by gale-force winds everywhere he goes..........
    I don't know hardly anybody like that.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Qboots
    A mortal who is followed by gale-force winds everywhere he goes..........
    I don't know hardly anybody like that.
    I'm pretty sure, Qboots, that Tyra Banks and other comely fashion mavens are required, by Law, to have "gale-force winds" accompanying them, wherever they go.

You know, for that 'Come Hither, Wind-Blown Look'.

Or maybe it's the 'Devil in the Blue Dress' Look.

It's a coin flip, actually.

+ Reply to Thread