+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 66 FirstFirst ... 848495051525354555657585960616263646566 LastLast
Results 571 to 580 of 654

Thread: Joan of Arcadia

  1. #571
    hellooooooo sher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    dallas, fer sure
    Age
    44
    Posts
    8,552
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdobolina
    I have one question....why did Ryan say "I wondered why he wanted me to go hiking on a day like today"(or something to that effect) when he showed up at the ranger station with Adam? I took it to mean that Ryan is another person that God talks to? Not that he is the Devil?
    exactly. i figured that when ryan said that God had sent him hiking that day that he was another person God talked to... the girl knitting God said that Ryan was another connection. i didn't really understand all that.

    what i got was that Ryan was creeeeeeepy when he looked back in the rain with his face all shadowed and said, "be seeing you, JOAN."

  2. #572
    Florence Y'All cadcmmngs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Florence, KY
    Age
    51
    Posts
    376
    Quote Originally Posted by sher
    exactly. i figured that when ryan said that God had sent him hiking that day that he was another person God talked to... the girl knitting God said that Ryan was another connection. i didn't really understand all that.

    what i got was that Ryan was creeeeeeepy when he looked back in the rain with his face all shadowed and said, "be seeing you, JOAN."

    Ohhh, I forgot about "Knitting Girl God" and how she said that Ryan was just another connection. Maybe SHE was Evil in a nice, knitting girl form, pretending to be God, all to confuse Joan and make her trust Ryan? God and Joan need a secret password so she knows it's really God she's speaking to!

  3. #573
    FORT Fogey Leftcoaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3,326
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdobolina
    I have one question....why did Ryan say "I wondered why he wanted me to go hiking on a day like today"(or something to that effect) when he showed up at the ranger station with Adam? I took it to mean that Ryan is another person that God talks to? Not that he is the Devil?
    Several posters recall his comment as you did, but I missed the "me" portion of that comment. I thought Ryan had been speaking about what prompted Adam to go waltzing through the woods on such a dreary day, while not really indicating what in hell he himself was doing out there. Perhaps he might have chatted a little longer if he hadn't felt drawn into getting into something just short of an eyeball duel with God. Whatever it actually was, it seemed confrontational in nature to me. God observed him like another distraction that he/she's faced with on a regular basis, not giving any indication to me that there was any shivering of his timbers going on at the sight of this upstart visually dissing him.

    Quote Originally Posted by cadcmmngs
    Ohhh, I forgot about "Knitting Girl God" and how she said that Ryan was just another connection. Maybe SHE was Evil in a nice, knitting girl form, pretending to be God, all to confuse Joan and make her trust Ryan? God and Joan need a secret password so she knows it's really God she's speaking to!
    Considering that God doesn't have a problem lurking around in Joan's daydreams or when she's making out, I have to believe that God would be aware if someone from the darkside was posing in his place and would make an appearance at the very least to see Joan wig out at observing "two, two, two Gods in one" if not for a nobler reason.

  4. #574
    Peeking In Duxxy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    looking for a deal on evilBay
    Posts
    6,052
    I have to disagree Leftcoaster.. 'protecting' Joan may interfere with her free will.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

  5. #575
    FORT Fogey Leftcoaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3,326
    I'm not all that conversant regarding free will; its a little iffy in my mind whether God would step in to protect Joan, seeing as God seems to feel that Joan experiencing pain derived from the lesson plan of the day is part of whatever process he has in mind.

    Speaking generally about free will, I don't see how pointing out that a poser isn't the God she thinks she's talking to would upset her choosing her own path anymore than the incessant promptings that God keeps giving Joan which causes her to blaze the sort of endless new solitary trails that Grace in effect attributed Adam's cheating ways to. Having a little knowledge still allows one to make choices, but perhaps I'm taking the wrong approach to free will. I just don't see how God interfering in another way can be all that different than the busy body behavior already displayed; and how can it be wrong if God makes the rules and isn't prone toward error?

  6. #576
    Peeking In Duxxy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    looking for a deal on evilBay
    Posts
    6,052
    I don't want to get into a big theological debate but a little one would be ok
    Throughout history God has asked big things of people, mostly he has just asked them to have faith. God's cryptic 'suggestions' to Joan never give away too much. He puts her on the path and then waits for her to feel her own way around. He doesn't really interfere (much) with the way things unfold. That is what I meant by free will.
    God has been a wiley little beggar who is constantly testing the faith of those closest to Him, allowing Joan to deliver herself from 'evil' makes Joan choose her path and doesn't interfere with her free will.
    I doubt very much that God would intercede on Joan's behalf.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

  7. #577
    Florence Y'All cadcmmngs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Florence, KY
    Age
    51
    Posts
    376
    Good points, Duxxy. God has never been big on explaining himself. We're just supposed to forge ahead, believing through our faith. Plus, story-wise, if He told Joan who the faux God's were, that would wrap up that story line pretty, darn quick!

  8. #578
    FORT Devotee Mike'sgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    IA
    Posts
    5,155
    Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy
    I don't want to get into a big theological debate but a little one would be ok
    Throughout history God has asked big things of people, mostly he has just asked them to have faith. God's cryptic 'suggestions' to Joan never give away too much. He puts her on the path and then waits for her to feel her own way around. He doesn't really interfere (much) with the way things unfold. That is what I meant by free will.
    God has been a wiley little beggar who is constantly testing the faith of those closest to Him, allowing Joan to deliver herself from 'evil' makes Joan choose her path and doesn't interfere with her free will.
    I doubt very much that God would intercede on Joan's behalf.
    Well said Duxxy! I would just add He/She

  9. #579
    PWS
    PWS is online now
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    15,705
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl
    Well said Duxxy! I would just add He/She
    Good point, Mike'sgirl! This has been a quietly very feminist show, with God appearing probably about equally as a male and a female. Have to go back and count now!

  10. #580
    hellooooooo sher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    dallas, fer sure
    Age
    44
    Posts
    8,552
    i'm still missing the young guy that was one of the first to play god on the show - or he might have been the first. the dude in the cordoroy jacket that she danced with at her party. he was my fave, with the little girl in glasses that walked joan home being my second fave. then i like her dad the dogwalker. yeah, you guys didn't ask who my fave gods were, did you?

    i guess all of our questions about ryan should be answered in tonight's season finale. i'm really disappointed that the season is already ending. doesn't seem like we got a full season yet.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.