+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 66 FirstFirst ... 64647484950515253545556575859606162636465 ... LastLast

Thread: Joan of Arcadia

LG.
    I thought that the embodiment of evil on this show was the vice-principal at school who always gave Joan a hard time, but then again I haven't seen very many episodes this season. In last season's finale Mr. whathisface actually showed devil horns when Joan was talking to him. Joan's dad is a challenge to her faith because he's lost his, but he's not evil, just not faithful.

Joan doesn't need God adding evil personified to the mix; she always has too much on her plate as it is.

I'm unsure about the future status of this show, but I'd like to see it continue. I believe God has too many guises he/she uses to have a casual new view get interested in the God character. I wish they'd stuck with the original guy God along with the current old lady God and perhaps the little girl God. Between the three of them they ought to be able to insert themselves wherever needed to touch base with Joan.

I like the gay goth kid God.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

I hadn't noted anything about Goth kid God making him appear outwardly gay to me, not that it affects the character one way or another.

After posting (actually while) about wishing that God's guises were more limited I thought about others that I've liked seeing, and wouldn't mind continuing to see, just not nearly as often. It seems like it would be more significant if the "guest" God(s) mostly appeared when that particular image is the one best able to get the point across. Not that God seems all that interested in clarifying things where Joan is concerned. God must enjoy seeing her frustrated and befuddled. Or maybe its just me that finds Joan strangely attractive when at a stage of high confusion.

I think the different Gods (sounds like we're talking Hinduism here) keep the mystery going. Joan doesn't know sometimes when she's talking to God, which is even more beautiful in metaphor. If I recall correctly, there seems to be something in the NT that talks about treating everyone as if they were Christ himself. Sometimes we encounter people about whom we make judgments and we don't take time to contemplate the deeper spiritual relationship between us. All the people who have been God have been real people, as far as I know. I think it's kind of a message that God is within us all.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

Quote Originally Posted by corprip
    All the people who have been God have been real people, as far as I know. I think it's kind of a message that God is within us all.
    I've wondered about that before, whether God is momentarily taking control of actual people, but that would only work for me if it were generally a new face appearing, not like the little girl or the likeable schlep that came to the bookstore this episode (again) recommending poetry. They seem to be going out of their way to encounter Joan.

I actually averted my eyes when Joan returned her box of things to Adam. I was not at all pleased at the idea that she might decide to overlook recent events and behavior and take him back.

While I understood Joan returning his things to him, I thought that Adam in turn returning the things that shed given him was simply poor tit for tat form. She had a credible reason for returning his artwork, it was a piece of him that others could derive pleasure from simply because of the beauty and craftsmanship. Adam returned things that were meaningless to anyone who hadn't received them. He looked more like a loser to me by returning them.

It was cute seeing Grace turn Joan's brainiac bro into a swaggering monster just by giving him a leather jacket. I understand why she finally ordered it off of him, but I hope he tries it on now and again for the magic transformation.

Joan's paralyzed brother isn't a favorite of mine and I don't much care for him sniffing around nun gal, but I thought she was a bit harsh in regards to his mistaken thoughts in regards to getting his own place. She went off about how shouldn't he have thought about talking to her about something like that (sex), which I understand, but doesn't she know any guys at all? What should he have been thing of when the reason the whole issue of him getting his own place originated when he was giving her a gentle third degree about when they could be alone for some canoodling time?

What a mismatch the mama's boy guidence counselor and Joan's physic teacher are! She could eat that lucky lad alive. I'm glad Joan came to the rescue, getting him (in a roundabout way) to realize it was time to move on, and out.

<sigh> Even Joan's mom and dad had a breakthough of sorts, facilitated by her reluctant Priest confessor guy. I don't know much about empty nest syndrome, but I'd always thought it took place when your children had grown up and moved out, not when they were just thinking about the possibilty.

Back to Joan and Adam, without offing a primary castmember with extreme predjudice, I thought that what Joan needs to do is recognize that this is a guy she likes and admires, perhaps even loves in a way. But not that way, not after what he did, and how he did it. Her teacher(?) pooh poohing it by saying that all the young bucks are like that wasn't all that helpful or realistic IMO. All boyfriends DO NOT cheat. Twice.

So Satan has finally made an appearance. It was bound to happen sooner or later. I wonder how long it will take Joan to figure out who he is. And will he be played by different actors like God is? And will they keep playing Rolling Stones songs every time he's on screen?
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Wow! That was a good show! I haven't been able to watch Joan a lot lately because of my son's sports schedule, but I always come here to catch up, so I knew about Adam and Joan. I'm glad Helen wasn't able to forgive her rapist because that wouldn't have been believable. To see him in person would bring it back too much. The scene after he died with the wife and child was complex. I love the new direction with Ryan Hunter, but the previews and scary music make it sound like he is evil. How could he be evil if he is an instrument of God? It is the season finale, so does that mean the series is going to continue? It would be a strange way to end the whole thing if it isn't. Luke trying pot was funny for a minute, but then it wasn't. He's too smart to go that route. I've said it before and I'll say it again... Adam is becoming a gorgeous hunk!!!!! The last scene in the tree, I had to pick my jaw up off the floor. Sheesh! Can't wait to hear from others who watch.
    Count your blessings!

Season finale is next Friday, right? (April 22, according to TV Tome.)
    Maybe CBS is hoping Beelzebub can boost Joan's ratings.
    *fingers crossed*
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Yep. On the preview for next week they said as much.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread