+ Reply to Thread
Page 55 of 66 FirstFirst ... 5454647484950515253545556575859606162636465 ... LastLast

Thread: Joan of Arcadia

I am OK with the parting. At first, I didn't think I would like anyone but Joan (Jane) to be with Adam. But, he is not as needy or dysfunctional as he was last season. I figure they will spend some time trying to get Joan to open up & trust him agan. There is a iot of opportunity for the characters to grow, I enjoyed the episode.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Mariner
    They need to get back to what made the show so refreshing last year. There have been some really good episodes this year and some blah ones. I'm frankly not sure what I think about tonight's episode. It doesn't help that I missed the first twenty minutes. I liked Joan and Adam together, and I hate it when tv shows break up couples just for the drama. The Adam who thought it would be okay to have casual sex with Bonnie while still dating and supposedly in love with "Jane" is a foreign being to the Adam we knew last year. If they were going to have them break up over sex or the lack there of then have him dump her because she won't sleep with him and then start sleeping with whomever. I'm also not very excited about the previews for next week. Something happens between Joan and the immature highschool counselor who still lives with his mother and tried to tell Joan she wasn't good enough to go to college? Yikes. I guess this is her "revenge" on Adam for cheating on her.
    What?? I'm away and missed this. Who's Bonnie that Adam had casual sex with? Adam had casual sex???!!! Yes, teenage guys get horny, but Adam would at least know he did a bad thing!! YIKES! Talk about character assassination!

I thought last night's episdoe was good; however, I think I'm more shocked at Adam using Bonnie than cheating on Joan.... wasn't Bonnie the artist-type that Joan met when she had to do community service? and that Adam had appreciated her art?

I just thought Adam was much more sensitive to people's hangups (Bonnie's lack of self-esteem and all...) The writers might try to go that angle, her seducing him and he just couldn't [wouldn't] resist...

Kinda frustrated by Adam's change of character, but appreciated the great acting from both of the actors who play Joan and Adam

PWS he knew he did a bad, bad thing but at the end of his confession he was telling Joan "I just want to get past this and get on with our lives" Joan told him there's nothing to get past - it's over. Thank goodness she had the self esteem to walk away there are a lot of teenaged girls out there that don't.
    I felt bad for both Joan and Bonnie.
    Adam did a really crummy thing in confessing to Grace and then asking her not to tell because he needed someone to unload on. Adam's behaviour is not shocking, as a matter of fact it's very common.
    I loved that Joan turned to God for comfort very nice metaphor - even if it was quite literal.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

I felt like I missed an episode somewhere. They have been building up some awkwardness between Joan and Adam for weeks, but we come to find out he's been sleeping with Bonnie on the side - he said it was half a dozen times - out of the blue? I guess that explains why he told her he would be away for an orientation and she found him walking on the street. Still, at the time, his explanation that he wanted time alone seemed like an Adam-the-artist thing, not a sleazy guy excuse thing.

Like katkitty said, the shocking thing was how Adam used Bonnie. He was quick to join in making fun of her, ignoring her, using her. At the rate they're changing his character he should make quarterback soon.

At least we won't be subjected to a few episodes of back-and-forth. This made the breakup seem pretty clear cut, although it looks like next week there's some anguish.

Corprip, who were the creepy twins?
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy
    I loved that Joan turned to God for comfort. Very nice metaphor - even if it was quite literal.
    I thought the same thing when I saw it. Lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by corprip
    agree Adam is totally different from last year, but to the show's credit they are in high school. He went from romantic dope to horny idiot in a year. It happens. From the way he was so torn up, it seemed like Joan represented a kind of safety in his world where he had none. I see some definite mother-son love going on in their relationship.

I've missed a couple of episodes this year because I'm always busy on Friday nights. I used to tape the show but have gotten lazy. I was shocked that Adam was such a horn dog until I realized that realistically he is a teenager and hormones just run rampant in those years. Kudos to the producers for not pandering to the "romanticky" idealism of teenagers and true love, which very rarely happens in real life. I've always felt the Joan/Adam relationship was based on Adam's loss of his mother; that he saw Helen as a mother figure and Joan as an extension of that. Their kisses in the hallway and affection toward one another never seemed sexually based - more the easy familiarity of a long standing relationship.

hepcat: I may be going crazy, but I thought I heard Adam say it happened twice. ??

Although we didn't see it, he indicated that Bonnie was well aware beforehand that he was in love with Joan, and that it was just for sex. The scene where she invites him to stay a while at her house(after what appeared to have been the last time), made it clear to the viewer and to Bonnie that it was casual, and he said as much in words.

I don't like any of it personally and was surprised that they had Adam tell Grace - what was the point of that? Was it so that she would remain mute during the fake court and not interfere with the flow of Joan's arguement?

Hepcat, the twins were part of Joan's visions when she was sick. They were creepy, female twins dressed in black. It was right before she temporarily lost faith, and if I'm not mistaken she would see them even after that, causing her to believe she was crazy.

As far as Adam goes, I think he has some serious issues with women that borders on the abusive. This episode, we saw him degrade Bonnie, kind of lie to Joan, and then tell Grace about it but tells her not to say anything. It's kind of passive aggressive cruelty.

Hey, can someone tell me what happened to the Joan's Dad's lady boss? I missed some episodes and all of a sudden she's gone. And while on the topic of Joan's Dad, he really gives me the creeps. I get Inquisition vibes off him. Would it be too much of a cliche dialectic narrative if there were a character that embodied evil to challenge Joan?
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

mike'sgirl Adam said they'd done it a few times - it doesn't really matter .. once is one time too many.

corprip Will's boss, Lucy, was promoted because she 'solved' Judith's murder. Helen got a nice parting shot in before Lucy left. Basically Helen told Lucy I know what you were up to and I'm glad to see you gone.
    As far as Will being evil - I have to disagree with you. He's a suspicious cop to the bone. He's seen a lot and knows exactly how cruel the world can be, naturally he tries to protect his children when he can. I buy his relationship with his kids.
    I know that there has to be balance in the universe so if you believe in the almighty force of good there must obviously be an alternate force of evil.
    With that said, I think this show is more about the choices we make without influence. It may be one of the reasons that God doesn't interfere with Joan's free will ... if He had a say then his counterpart would too.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Adam turned out to be a little slime doggie as well as horn dog, diidn't he?

I don't feel the least bit sad for him, all the indicators this season seemed to prep him for his transition away from Joan. Not wanting to say only bad things about him, I'll state that at least he didn't go the Jerry Springer route and make a move on Joan's mom, but thats as good as it gets.

Considering Joan, I'd think that their relationship would be fatally wounded even if Adam had experienced an out of control "one thing led to another..." fiasco that involved cheating on Joan, but that wasn't the case here. One time is one time too many, but poor Adam tripped and fell out of his clothes not once, but twice.

There isn't anything forgiveable about that, not for that couple. He made a conscious choice in hooking up a second time, voting with his (#$%^) or perhaps his feet in leaving his current relationship.

In the end, he doesn't even consider what he did all that wrong. It was 'just sex' after all. Not a good sign at all for future happiness between him and any woman who believes in an exclusive relationship.

Drop that loser for good; not God, Joan.

+ Reply to Thread