+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 66 FirstFirst ... 414243444546474849505152535455565758596061 ... LastLast

Thread: Joan of Arcadia

I've got teenaged girls and I don't think her spilling the beans to her mom was very realistic at all. And if she thinks god is watching her have sex, she'll die a virgin.
    Count your blessings!

Strange how both Duff sisters played characters that had boy's names; Dylan and Stevie.

Why is this second season just not hitting home with me as much as the first? Sophmore slump, anyone?? I feel like there hasn't been enough Girardi family interaction....that this season is much much much more external to the family than last season was. And that was the good stuff...the whole family relationship, the rebuilding of relationships within the family after several tragedies and seeing how they support each other nevertheless.

Not that I dis-like the show...I still love it. This show is an emotional and spiritual outlet for me, and I am just not that interested in Friedman, special guest stars, or other families that can't get along(the two brothers fighting over mom's safe deposit box).

On the other hand, I keep wanting the kid that was driving the car when Kevin was injured to finally accept help from the Girardi's. I feel like that is an external family storyline that could become a more internal one, as they all deal with the consequences, and help each other get past that time in their lives. Kevin and his scene together in front of the drunk drivers was great. As well as Joan's scene with him that motivated him to make some different(difficult) choices instead of just running away.
    Last edited by mrdobolina; 02-22-2005 at 01:19 PM.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdobolina
    Why is this second season just not hitting home with me as much as the first? Sophmore slump, anyone?? I feel like there hasn't been enough Girardi family interaction....that this season is much much much more external to the family than last season was.
    I'm still enjoying the show, but it would be nice to see any reason that God actually has for continually yanking Joan's chain. Is there any direction this intervention is supposed to direct her toward, ultimately?

For all we as viewers know, God can and is simultaneously 'helping' thousands upon thousands of other 'Joan's'; and the final episode of an aimless series may involve nothing more dramatic than Joan, through God's prompting, assisting someone in finally being able to choose which movie to see without having to flip a coin.

I don't miss the Girardi family interaction; I get my minimum requirements eyeballing the parents relationship and wondering whether they'll slide down a slippery slope toward separation or worse.

It seems like the family and Joan has forgotten that she has Lyme Disease. It hasn't been mentioned once.

Okay, this season has been really uneven. The Judith storyline was touching, and I've kept watching. I just haven't been kicking myself if I'm out on a Friday night and I miss it. Tonight's episode though was like being back to the first season. A big thumbs up and more than a few tears. I especially loved that we returned to the storylines about Kevin's fear of finding out there is no hope of him ever walking again, the continuing aftermath of Adam's mother's suicide, and a real lesson for Joan about helping someone. I loved both the scenes between Kevin and Joan where they are chowing down the sundae for breakfast and the scene between Helen and Adam about why she didn't want to show his picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner
    I just haven't been kicking myself if I'm out on a Friday night and I miss it. Tonight's episode though was like being back to the first season. A big thumbs up and more than a few tears. I especially loved that we returned to the storylines about Kevin's fear of finding out there is no hope of him ever walking again, the continuing aftermath of Adam's mother's suicide, and a real lesson for Joan about helping someone.

You took the words right out of my mouth, Mariner. Looks like the show might be back on track. I was getting a little bored with this season, (except Judith's passing episode), because it was deviating from the first season's stories and format. One of the reasons I really loved the show is the lessons Joan would learn when she helped someone (who didnt' necessarily have to be her family or close friend). Next week's episode looks very promising too.

I was waiting for Adam to tell Helen that it wasn't a picture of his mother, it was a picture of her. (Helen)
    But I guess it wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Marley
    I was waiting for Adam to tell Helen that it wasn't a picture of his mother, it was a picture of her. (Helen)
    But I guess it wasn't.
    I think that's okay Marley. Part of Adam's healing process is painting and talking about his mother. Just the fact that Adam told Helen he has noone else like her in his life and he was afraid of losing her was enough. He needs to honor his mother but develop a bond with someone else too. The episode last year where Helen read him the letter from his mother that he had always been afraid to read because he thought her suicide was his fault was one of the most memorable to me. It's what made the show so darn refreshing last year. I'm keeping my fingers crossed with Wolf that we are back on track.

see, I didn't get this weeks episode. I saw NO value in the girl finding out the way she did... with mom going to jail and all. Just seems stupid. I guess there could have been value if mom had come clean and the police weren't involved, but even then, it wasn't like the info was going to bring them closer together as they were already close.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

+ Reply to Thread