+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ABC to continue John Ritter's sitcom without him

ABC to continue John Ritter's sitcom without him

ABC to continue John Ritter's sitcom without him
    By Gary Levin, USA TODAY
    The death of John Ritter won't stop ABC from pressing on with 8 Simple Rules for Dating My Teenage Daughter.
    But the sitcom will temporarily take a dramatic left turn as family members adjust to the death of his character, Paul Hennessy.

Rules, ABC's top-rated new series last season, will premiere as scheduled Tuesday at 8 p.m. ET/PT, with three new episodes featuring Ritter to be introduced by fellow cast members.

After a few weeks of repeats, the show will return probably in time for the November sweeps period with new episodes that "will take viewers into the Hennessy household as they experience the loss of their father," says ABC Entertainment Television Group chairman Lloyd Braun. That's a major shift for the lighthearted comedy.

On the eve of its fall season, the network decided to continue the show with the blessing of Ritter's widow, Amy Yasbeck as a better alternative than a last-minute rejiggering of its comedy lineup.

Rules will become more of an ensemble series, and co-star Katey Sagal will take a larger role. New actors will be added eventually, some of them in guest roles as friends and relatives who help out.

Braun concedes there's no precedent for a show succeeding after the loss of a series star. "This is uncharted territory. ... But it feels like the right way to go."

Still, advertising buyers say Rules without Ritter could be a turn-off to viewers. Says David Marans of MindShare: "John Ritter was so central to the dynamics of the show that it seems a stretch the program would succeed without his presence."
    http://www.usatoday.com/life/televis...er-shoow_x.htm

Still, advertising buyers say Rules without Ritter could be a turn-off to viewers. Says David Marans of MindShare: "John Ritter was so central to the dynamics of the show that it seems a stretch the program would succeed without his presence."
    Ritter = Rules imo.

I won't watch it without him.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I'll give it chance, but it will be wierd to see what exactly they do

i'm going to give it a chance... but i will always find it so sad that his character is gone.

Wish I Had A FF Right Now Jughead Jones's Avatar
    I think I'll record the last episodes with John Ritter in them, so that I can watch them whenever I like.

To be honest, it just won't be the same without him.

I'll tape the first few and decide from there
    Bring on the Fab 5!

"I said walk, not march like a weird little troll!": Carson Kressley

"My ship works better when I kick it" Spike Spiegel(Cowboy Bebop)

It won't be the same.

I know that Amy Yasbeck gave her blessing, but it won't be easy. It's a comedy, #1, and John Ritter is the comedy of that show.

I do love Katey Segal and I would love to see it work for her sake. Maybe she can join Dragnet?

in banana world
    I loved John Ritter and this show, and he is what MADE this show. I don't understand, though, how are the producers going to handle such a tragedy (his character dies as well) in a comedy. I would imagine that the first show would be in his honor, and I don't think it would have many laughing moments. Crying is more like it. I just don't know how they will do that. But kudos to them for not cancelling it, which would have been, in my opinion, the cowardly thing to do. At least they're giving it a chance.

i have a feeling that the show will fail on its own, as other shows have when the star has passed away. i loved the tuesday night episode. the beginning with katey segal made me a little teary eyed, but the show was as funny as ever. and watching the ending with his name and the 2 dates and "we love you" beneath was hard to see. then other shows on abc also dedicated their shows "for john" which makes me want to cry.

i know that after they air the 3 shows, they will go on a long hiatus, for everyone to heal and the show to be revamped. there is word that tony danza will be joining the cast as the loser younger brother to john's character, paul, who comes to help the family out with their loss. i figure i'll watch the show when it returns to see how they handle it, but i think it will be more for that than in expectation of seeing a good show.

and again... i don't think this show can survive without its star.

i miss john.

FORT Fogey
    I loved last nights show, but it was hard to watch. I missed a couple of scenes and wasn't sure if she is pregnant. If she is it would be a really bittersweet addition to the show. Not sure I feel about having Tony Danza ( I like him ) as a younger brother. He doesn't seem that much younger. I would prefer to see them go a different direction maybe with time and after dealing w/the loss they could make it about the girls dating and eventually the mom, show how he really did impress the girls and they are super protective of mom and her dating..???
    Either way I don't see it making it, sher is right the anchor of the show is gone and you don't get that essence back.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast