+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Coupling

She'll be there when I'm gone... won't she?
    BBC America and Fox Sports World are Godsends.
    R.I.P Willie Dog (?/?/1989-12/17/2004). Gone but never forgotten.

Welcome Zelda (and a hot of other names)! (Born 08/08/2005, adopted 10/08/2005)

Also welcome Shasta! (Born ?/?/2004, Adopted 03/??/07)

British version is way better. Much funnier.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

I've seen both versions and liked both of them. I thought this past episode with the funeral home and the laugh thing (can't remember what he called it) was hysterical, especially the very end, where all three guys held their laugh and then he just shouts out "Nipple!". I about fell out off the couch. I know it's "the same show" technically, but I just try not to compare them.

She'll be there when I'm gone... won't she?
    Quote Originally Posted by colby_d
    I've seen both versions and liked both of them. I thought this past episode with the funeral home and the laugh thing (can't remember what he called it) was hysterical, especially the very end, where all three guys held their laugh and then he just shouts out "Nipple!". I about fell out off the couch. I know it's "the same show" technically, but I just try not to compare them.
    "Help! I can't turn off the naked people!"
    R.I.P Willie Dog (?/?/1989-12/17/2004). Gone but never forgotten.

Welcome Zelda (and a hot of other names)! (Born 08/08/2005, adopted 10/08/2005)

Also welcome Shasta! (Born ?/?/2004, Adopted 03/??/07)

i'm curious... as i've not seen the british version, is the american version using the same scripts or something? they aren't just taking the premise of the show and going from there, but rather are actually taking the scripts and stories from the original and remaking them? that's odd.

imho, i think i watch coupling b/c of it's thursday night placement. i don't watch anything else in that timeslot, so i just keep the channel on nbc and watch friends, scrubs, will&grace then coupling.

that being said, though i still enjoy watching rena sofer, i don't think the show is terribly good, though i think it has tremendous potential. and - furthermore - i like watching shows about sex as much as the next girl () but - is every single episode of the show (british version) totally about sex? i mean, can't these people think about or talk about something else?

Quote Originally Posted by sher
    i'm curious... as i've not seen the british version, is the american version using the same scripts or something? they aren't just taking the premise of the show and going from there, but rather are actually taking the scripts and stories from the original and remaking them?
    That's exactly what they're doing, Sher. Except for some adjustments that have to be made to handle time restrictions (The British version is 30 mins. without commercials; the American version is 30 minutes including commercials. So, about 8 minutes has to be taken out of each British script for the American show), the American show is using the same script almost exactly verbatim.

yikes! that kind of surprises me, actually. why couldn't they just take the premise of the stories and rewrite the scripts to incorporate the story line but not have the actors deliver the exact lines!? no wonder it's such a comparison. weird thing to do....

From the CNN website...

NBC yanking struggling 'Coupling'

NEW YORK (AP) -- NBC is taking its highly touted comedy "Coupling" off its schedule for two weeks in what could be an ominous sign about its future.

The comedy, an American version of a British hit about six sexually active friends, will be replaced Thursday by a rerun of "Whoopi." On October 30, the first Thursday of the November "sweeps" period, an expanded version of "Will & Grace" will air.

Last week, "Coupling" was seen by 10.7 million people, ranking No. 37 for the week in Nielsen Media Research's rankings -- not a strong performance on NBC's powerful Thursday schedule.

The shows surrounding it, "Will & Grace" and "ER," drew 14.6 million and 20.1 million, respectively.

If "Whoopi" performs better in the prized time slot, the stage could be set for Whoopi Goldberg's comedy to move there from its current perch on Tuesday night.

"Coupling," considered by some critics to be NBC's attempt to find a replacement for "Friends," will air October 23, NBC spokeswoman Rebecca Marks said.

"I don't think we've given up on it by any stretch of the imagination," she said.

As much as I like this show, I seem to forget about Whoppi and either tape it becuase I'm online at that time, miss it altogether, or come in late. Hopefully they'll give that time slot to Whoopi, since I'm already watching NBC because of Will & Grace (before that, I watch Survivor).

I can't believe they're taking Coupling off for the next couple of weeks and replacing it with one of the WORST shows on TV right now. I can't stand Whoopi Goldberg and every movie she has been in. Who is SHE sleeping with to get this much air time?? LOL

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast