+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Coupling

She'll be there when I'm gone... won't she?
    Haven't seen the Yank version and I don't plan to. To me, coupling was, is and always will be British. Even when I saw that one guy in "Pirates of the Caribbean" as a British naval officer, to me he was still "Steve from Coupling".
    R.I.P Willie Dog (?/?/1989-12/17/2004). Gone but never forgotten.

Welcome Zelda (and a hot of other names)! (Born 08/08/2005, adopted 10/08/2005)

Also welcome Shasta! (Born ?/?/2004, Adopted 03/??/07)

FORT Fanatic
    I thought the second episode was really funny, didn't see the pilot though.

hmm... i really liked both of the episodes. but, i've never seen the british one, so i had nothing to be disappointed in.
    "I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes. I am out of control, and at times hard to handle, but if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best .. "

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Apple
    Haven't seen the Yank version and I don't plan to. To me, coupling was, is and always will be British. Even when I saw that one guy in "Pirates of the Caribbean" as a British naval officer, to me he was still "Steve from Coupling".
    I'm a big Jack Davenport fan.
    He was in The Talented Mr Ripley too and to me will always be Miles from This Life/Steve from Coupling.

I caught a little of the second episode, but it really isn't a patch on the UK version imo.
    Some shows just can't cross the pond in that way.
    A British version of Cheers, where they repeat the lines verbatim would likely be dreadful too.
    "That's Numberwang!"

On Hiatus
    I watched both the UK version and the American version last night, one after another, and here's the problem, IMO. The actors in the American version aren't nearly as standoutish (yes I made that up) as the ones in the UK version. You watch the UK version once, you pretty much know who is playing what role. But here...not so much.

Jeff in the UK version is brilliant, whereas the American Jeff just doesn't carry out the "dumb guy" thing well at all.

Just my opinion, for what it's worth.
    "Ashleigh": I just think it's sleazy. It's dirty.
    Matt: Welcome to television!
    -The Joe Schmo Show

I liked the second episode better than the first. I keep forgetting who's who though.

She'll be there when I'm gone... won't she?
    Quote Originally Posted by fluff
    I'm a big Jack Davenport fan.
    He was in The Talented Mr Ripley too and to me will always be Miles from This Life/Steve from Coupling.

I caught a little of the second episode, but it really isn't a patch on the UK version imo.
    Some shows just can't cross the pond in that way.
    A British version of Cheers, where they repeat the lines verbatim would likely be dreadful too.
    A lot of it I think has to do with the nature of the humo(u)r. American jokes just don't work with British accents, and British jokes don't work without them. Plus, most Yanks wouldn't get the punchlines of British jokes anyway, and vice versa. Imagine "Monty Python" done by Americans. It wouldn't be the same. It's the same deal with the American "Coupling".
    R.I.P Willie Dog (?/?/1989-12/17/2004). Gone but never forgotten.

Welcome Zelda (and a hot of other names)! (Born 08/08/2005, adopted 10/08/2005)

Also welcome Shasta! (Born ?/?/2004, Adopted 03/??/07)

My girlfriend and I have been watching "coupling", and we both agree that it sucks. I think it is simply poor acting....terrible timing and delivery of the lines from the actors. There is some humor, but its just not all that witty.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

I love British humor but never got the chance to see the British "coupling". So, with nothing to compare it to, I was still disappointed in the American version. What a clunky piece of work!
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

i don't know... i thought that the bathroom thing last week was hilarious!! but, i do have a hard time keeping track of who's who.
    "I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes. I am out of control, and at times hard to handle, but if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best .. "

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast