+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steve Martin Hosts Academy Awards Again

Steve Martin Hosts Academy Awards Again

Actor and funnyman Steve Martin will host the 75th anniversary Academy Awards show.

"I'm very pleased to be hosting the Oscars again, because fear and nausea always make me lose weight," Martin said.

This will be the second time Martin, 57, has hosted the show. He last hosted two years ago.

Known for his wild and crazy comedy routines, Martin also has written several books and stage plays and has acted in movies including "Parenthood" and "L.A. Story." He recently finished filming the Disney comedy "Bringing Down the House," and will start work on "Shopgirl," a film adapted from his own novella.

The Oscars are scheduled for March 23 at the Kodak Theatre in Hollywood and will air on ABC.

I thoiught he did a great job the first time he hosted them, much better than Whoopi last year.
    The Academy awards were boring last year.
    Much as I adore Denzel Washington I didn't want him to get the Oscar instead of Russell Crowe.
    Russels attitude loses him votes.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Princess
    Good - Steve Martin is great, Whoopi was not.
    And fluff, I couldn't agree more about Russel/Denzel last year - on the other hand, I didn't think Russel should have had it the prev. year... .

FrankMartin
    Dont blame the hosts entirely Its the writers that comes up with the spiffy one liners & speeches when whoever like "Whoopi" comes out and speaks. And agreed, Whoopi has NOT been doin it lately hostwise. As a fan of the Awards I do look foward to Steve on this upcoming awards in 2003

I like Steve Martin and I think he does the best job. I don't mind Whoopi and I admit it...

I think Billy Crystal is WAAAAAAYYY overrated.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

Billy and Whoopi are so in love with themselves, and it comes out in their schtick. I thought Steve Martin was much more self-deprecating. I appreciate that style of humor.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Princess
    Billy and Whoopi are so in love with themselves, and it comes out in their schtick. I thought Steve Martin was much more self-deprecating. I appreciate that style of humor.

LG.
    a fan of self-deprecation, well Paulie, you must have loved the Emmys with host Conan O'Brien last fall. He's got some serious self-deprecation on his Late Show.

Ducky, testify, Conan's monologue is half, no, don't laugh at that, it didn't deserve it and you're just giving me pity applause now, I don't need your pity, ok, yes I do.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Princess
    Conan O'Brian's self-deprecation is going a bit too far tough, imo. At some point it gets old, which is why I don't watch the Late Nite with COB anymore.

Steve Martin is brilliant. I am looking forward to seeing him back hosting.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast