+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Angel

I agree Mdrio. I hated the abruptness of the ending. I realize he might want to do movies with the characters or whatever, but it less me feeling like I didn't have closure.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I agree with both of you guys. The ending was very jarring. I actually looked up at the clock and refused to believe that was the last moment.

There had to have been a better way to leave the storyline open for future projects (whose prospects, to be honest, aren't looking too good) while also reaching a satisfying point of resolution for the fans.

I will forgive them because it must have been hard to wrap up the entire series in the time they were given after being cancelled. I scoffed at the little "Thank You" segment to Angel from "Your Friends at the WB." More like "F*** You" if you ask me.

Anyway, I was crying when Wesley died, and when Illyria shifted to Fred for him in those last moments. What a sad and bittersweet scene! Although I do have to say I'm relieved that Spike didn't get dusted. Sorry, that's my guy! Plus, c'mon he has been through enough, saving the world just last year and all!
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Amen SFG! I refuse to believe Spike is anything but running around being damn sexy somewhere.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I second that emotion, sister!

Actually, I loved that he went to a spoken word open mic and read his poem for Cecily from "Fool for Love" (still one of my fave Buffy episodes ever). Ah, William the Bloody...

“My heart expands, ’tis grown a bulge in't.
    Inspired by your beauty effulgent.”
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

That would have been a great season ender (except for Wes's death who is one of my fave characters). I don't know if I liked it as a series finale. Buffy's finale really gave closure to the main thread of the story. And, I guess, Angel's did but in a more unresolved manner.

There were several clever items. Lorne shooting Lindsey (which seemed pretty unfair but was actually probably the right thing). Connor's arrival knowing that Angel wouldn't stop by for coffee if not for a major battle looming. Angel realizing how to beat Hamilton was to tap into the power in his blood (was wondering how he would beat Hamilton who was more unstoppable than Illyria). Angel not trusting soul-less Harmony and killing the ringleader even before the Hamilton fight. Wes declining and then accepting Illyria's Fred lie.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    I agree with both of you guys. The ending was very jarring. I actually looked up at the clock and refused to believe that was the last moment.

There had to have been a better way to leave the storyline open for future projects (whose prospects, to be honest, aren't looking too good) while also reaching a satisfying point of resolution for the fans.

I will forgive them because it must have been hard to wrap up the entire series in the time they were given after being cancelled. I scoffed at the little "Thank You" segment to Angel from "Your Friends at the WB." More like "F*** You" if you ask me.

Anyway, I was crying when Wesley died, and when Illyria shifted to Fred for him in those last moments. What a sad and bittersweet scene! Although I do have to say I'm relieved that Spike didn't get dusted. Sorry, that's my guy! Plus, c'mon he has been through enough, saving the world just last year and all!

The WB sucks. I wanted to throw something at the TV when they put up that kiss-off at the end. I still find it incredible that they axed this show. I loved the finale in that they went out kicking butt. But didn't like the Wes dying part at all. The whole finale did leave me wanting more; wanting to see how things turn out. Very bittersweet show.

Angel Creator's Finale Post-Mortem

I found this on TV Guide Online. It's an article by Ethan Alter who interviewed Joss Whedon about the finale and the series.

-----------
    There are many ways to describe last night's series finale of Angel. Heart-wrenching (Wes kicked the bucket! And died in Illyria/Fred's arms!), action-packed (that Angel vs. Hamilton throwdown), hilarious (Spike reading his terrible love poem — which all die-hard fans know we first heard in the fifth season of Buffy — to a rapt audience of tough guys) and thrilling (the final charge before the closing credits) all fit the bill. But whatever you do, don't call it a cliffhanger, even if Angel and his surviving crew were still fighting as the episode ended.

"The word 'cliffhanger' is really a misnomer here," series co-creator Joss Whedon stresses to TV Guide Online. "This was not the final grace note after a symphony, the way the Buffy finale was. We are definitely still in the thick of it [at the end]. But the point of the show is that you're never done; no matter who goes down, the fight goes on.

"Did I end it this way so that it could lead into an exciting sixth season? Yes, but this is still a final statement, if that's what it needs to be."

Ah, but was this episode actually the "final statement" for the beloved Buffy and Angel universe? Rumors have been rampant about a spinoff show or a series of made-for-TV movies popping up within the next year. According to Whedon, however, nothing will happen anytime soon. "The TV-movie idea was suggested," he says. "And the studio said they'd be interested in that, but I haven't heard bupkes since then."

It's not as if Whedon has the time to devote to another Angel-related project right now, anyway. In June, he starts production on Serenity, the feature-film version of his short-lived Fox series, Firefly. It's due out in 2005. He's also penning 12 issues of the new Marvel Comics title Astonishing X-Men, the first of which hits comic-book stores next Wednesday.

Still, Whedon says he's not closing the door entirely on the Buffyverse. For one thing, he's been talking with Dark Horse Comics about reviving the canceled Buffy comic book and possibly making it a permanent part of the Buffy canon. He also says he had many more stories to tell about the Angel crew — citing the sexy character of Illyria, in particular, as someone he wished to spend more time with. "The cancellation was a horrible blow," he admits. "Basically, we were told that we were old and in the way, [even though] ratings were higher than what they'd been."

Whedon takes some comfort in knowing Angel aficionados feel the same way. "I was enormously touched by the fan response," he says. "For them to react that strongly to what had always been perceived as the bastard child of the Buffy franchise was really important to me.

"I think the show was cut down in its prime," Whedon laments. "I do feel like we finished the series off saying what I wanted to say in a grand fashion. But I don't have the feeling I had with Buffy, which is, 'We are done. Thank you, goodnight.' It's more, 'Okay, the lights are off, I'd better leave.'"

For Whedon, what makes the end even harder is that he'd already conceived a terrific premise for Angel's sixth year. "When you buck the system, and do your best to make it collapse," he teases, "what if it does? The next season would have been some serious chaos." Now, that sounds like a story that deserves to be told someday.

----------

Watching from Outer Space SpaceCase's Avatar
    That article answered a question I had wondered, which was whether the ending was re-tooled knowing it was the series finale or season finale.

Either way, I loved it. LOOOOOOved it. Exactly the way for them to go out - fighting. If it had been wrapped up with a nice bow, I don't think it would have fit this particular series. I thought the Buffy ending was appropriate for that show, and this ending was appropriate for Angel.

I'll try not to repeat too much of what everyone else said - but I, too, loved Illyria "lying" to Wes, loved the poetry slam (bf and I loved that Spike would spend his last day getting drunk and fighting, but loved it even more when we saw what he was actually doing), loved "I wish to do more violence" and the dragon line - classic.

I'm going to miss it, though.
    Outer space is no place for a person of breeding. -Lady Violet Bonham Carter

Thanks, Grok, good article. Like SpaceCase said, it helps answer a few questions I had, as well as confirm some of my most bitter suspicions.

I still feel Angel was really given short shrift by the WB. The series was just starting to hit its stride, and was developing a stronger following that was more willing to see it for having a mythology in its own rite, not just as a post-Buffy withdrawal palliative (although it was that too ).

DAMN YOU, WB!!!

I'm already feeling withdrawals! I thought the ending was okay - alternated between hating and loving it. Laughed out loud when Angel said "I want you, Lindsey" and then said "I think I'll feel better if I rephrase that!" I also loved all things Illyria this episode. I loved her grief when Wesley died (although I HATED Wes' death!) and I loved her wanting to "do more violence" to express her own grief at his death. And I really liked Lindsey's reaction when Lorne shot him -- "Angel is supposed to kill me!"

Anyhow, if there's a movie, I guess Wesley, Gunn and Lorne won't be back. As long as Spike is safe and sound somewhere!

+ Reply to Thread