+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CBS Eyeing Third 'CSI' Series

CBS Eyeing Third 'CSI' Series

CBS Eyeing Third 'CSI' Series

Fri Sep 5, 1:03 AM ET
    By Nellie Andreeva

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - CBS is in the early stages of developing a third installment in its red-hot "Crime Scene Investigation" series.

The network's chairman and CEO, Leslie Moonves, said Thursday he "certainly expects" a second spinoff to join CBS' lineup and called a potential fall 2004 launch of the new show "plausible."

The procedural drama franchise kicked off in 2000 with "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation," which followed the exploits of forensics examiners in Las Vegas. A spin-off, "CSI: Miami," debuted last year.

CBS Prods. and series producer Alliance Atlantis took a key step in ensuring the franchise's longevity Thursday when they signed two "CSI" producers to lucrative long-term contracts.
    Ann Donahue and Carol Mendelsohn will stay on board for at least four more seasons. Their pacts are said to be in the eight-figure range, which would make them the highest-paid female writer-producers in drama series television.

The agreements, which come on the heels of the three-year deal CBS and Alliance inked with "CSI" franchise creator Anthony Zuiker in June, secure the entire key creative team behind the series in place for the next few years.

The new pacts for Donahue and Mendelsohn -- who executive produce "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation" and "CSI: Miami" with Zuiker, Bruckheimer, Jonathan Littman and Danny Cannon -- will replace their existing deals, which were to run through the upcoming 2003-04 season.

The new agreements call for the two to continue as executive producers on the two shows and to develop new projects, including the planned third installment.

Additionally, Mendelsohn will continue as the showrunner on the flagship series, while Donahue will continue to run spinoff "CSI: Miami," which she co-created with Mendelsohn and Zuiker.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

Wish I Had A FF Right Now Jughead Jones's Avatar
    Personally, I think it's a really bad idea, and I'll tell you why.

For one, nothing can compare to the original one, set in Vegas. The cast works very well together, and it was the ultimate breakthrough for CBS as far as the 18-49 demographic behind Survivor.

I do watch CSI: Miami, and while I think it has better cases, the cast doesn't seem to have the same warmth as the original. I'm afraid that if they bring a third version out, it will be worse than CSI: Miami, and I think that it may be too much of a good thing, if you know what I mean.

And, as well, there's a show called Navy NCIS premiering September 23, and while it's meant to be a spin-off of JAG, it's a lot like CSI, in respects to its crime scene investigation plotlines. If there is another CSI in the works, it will mean that there will be four different shows about the same exact thing, and then it wouldn't be as cutting edge as it once was.

I say that two versions is enough right now.

I agree.
    CSI Miami is a poor imitation imo, I would far rather see the original cast make more episodes.
    I see no need at all for this Navy spin off.
    "That's Numberwang!"

They didn't mention it here, but I'd posted last season that they were considering CSI: New Orleans.

OMG, give it a rest.
    Just stick to the original show.
    I'm not tired of those characters yet or with Vegas as a setting.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fan
    How about "CSI: Middle of Nowhere"?

CSI: Houghton, Michigan

Oh wait, they already did that - it was called Fargo.

Quote Originally Posted by SonicAD
    How about "CSI: Middle of Nowhere"?

Bad idea to make a 2nd spin-off. I like the original just fine.

FORT Fan
    How about "CSI: Mackinac Island"?

Figuring out the "vehicle" used in the crime would be interesting, seeing as they'd probably either have to figure out which type of bike or what horse the manure comes from.

need a lipgloss boost.. beezwax177's Avatar
    More like Fantasy Mackinac Island.....Brass playing the role of Tattoo
    I see the dream and I see the nightmare, and I believe you can't have the dream without the nightmare. - Tori Amos

+ Reply to Thread