+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Det. Robert Goren (Vincent D'Onofrio)

I'm glad I'm not the only one strangly attracted to him. I can't put my finger on it.... it just might be that 5 o'clock shadow and thousand dollar suits.

But of course, everytime he's on anything now, my husband says, "There's your boy." Of course there are times when I see him and I have to shutter and think, "Why him?" (i.e. when he's crashing around in the back of that van in MIB). <shutter>

I really enjoy L&O CI more than most shows and I think a lot of it has to do with Vincent D’Onofrio.

Am I attracted to him? Uh... no.

Nonetheless, he's about the most watchable TV detective since Columbo.

Clancy of the Overflow kjb131064's Avatar

Very Fascinating

We only just began airing Law & Order: Criminal Intent about 8 months ago here in Australia, and already it's proving to be a must-see for me particularly for Vincent.

I find Det Goren to be highly fascinating, and do see a little bit of 'Columbo' there, as I was a fan of that once too but Vincent certainly adds that little something more, and I can't quite put my finger on what, but I find myself now, wanting to race over to the video library to find and watch every project he was ever involved in

"Anti-thesis" aired here last week, and by far this L&O:CI ep would have to be my fav. I saw a side to Det Goren he'd not shown before. I certainly hope I'll be seeing more of this in him

~Karen

Welcome, Karen! And good first post!

Let me throw in my two cents and add how much I like Vince in "L&O:CI".

Bill made the very good point about the char's appeal (knows a little something about everything; eccentric). It's something I once called the "Sherlock Holmes Mystique".

The other side of that coin is the character who's a man's man and knows his mind (See: David Caruso's character, first season of "NYPD Blue".)

Vince, to me, will always be the villain in "The Cell"--an acting job almost as good as Hopkins's Hannibal Lecter...but not quite.

Oh, and anyone for Donnie Wahlberg in "Boomtown"? Those Wahlberg Boys can act! What are their families feeding them, because serve me up a plate, STAT!
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but...the bad things don’t always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

I've never seen this show, but I have always liked Vincent D'Onofrio. If I had to pick his one character that really sticks, I would say he'll always be Gomer Pyle to me. He was so amazing in Full Metal Jacket. He and R. Lee Ermey made the first half of that movie so powerful.
    I’m haunted a little this evening by feelings that have no vocabulary and events that should be explained in dimensions of lint rather than words.
    -Richard Brautigan

Originally posted by phat32
    Welcome, Karen! And good first post!

Thanks, I would've replied sooner but I was having trouble finding my way back to logging in again :

I'm not too familiar with this style of messageboard. I have several of my own, and one just happens to be about Law & Order: Criminal Intent . I'm still working on it as well as a fansite for Vincent. I was searching around the net for any other forums or messageboards when I just happened to come across this one

I haven't seen The Cell, but I've been reading up on, and discussing a lot of Vincent's work, and someone described him to me as "quite a chameleon" - he certainly is.

For someone to transform himself so perfectly into a role, that he basically 'dissappears'.....so much so that the casual viewer is actually unaware it was him playing the role! This certainly says a lot about his skill as an actor

~Karen
    Last edited by kjb131064; 02-27-2003 at 09:28 PM.

Originally posted by Zhora
    I've never seen this show, but I have always liked Vincent D'Onofrio. If I had to pick his one character that really sticks, I would say he'll always be Gomer Pyle to me. He was so amazing in Full Metal Jacket. He and R. Lee Ermey made the first half of that movie so powerful.
    Many have mentioned so many of their fav characters that Vincent has played, that it certainly seems that he has as wide an appeal as his range to play so many different characters

~Karen

I liked him in Men In Black
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

He was certainly comical in Men In Black And, 'very' romantic in The Whole Wide World

i love d'onofrio in law & order:ci.

i didn't even realize he was in mib or mystic pizza! can you say clueless?

but i loved him in "happy accidents" - loved the movie too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast