+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: L&O: CI - "Malignant" 11/03

L&O: CI - "Malignant" 11/03

MALIGNANT

9pm 11/03/02 ALL NEW!

BRUTAL SLAYINGS LEADS COPS TO SCANDALOUS PROBE OF TAMPERING WITH LIFE-SAVING DRUGS -- The murders of two deliverymen lead Detectives Goren (Vincent D'Onofrio) and Eames (Kathryn Erbe) to a pharmaceutical supplier (guest star Stephen Toblolowsky) who's been tampering with the life-saving, cancer-fighting drugs needed by hundreds of patients - many of whom are dead despite positive survival prognoses from their doctors. However, their probe of the scandal gets sticky when the exhumations of possible victims reveals evidence of an assisted suicide by a elderly husband (guest star Richard Bright) who reluctantly acted at his wife's request to end her suffering. Jamey Sheridan and Courtney B. Vance also star. TV-14

Sounds like a rough ethical episode.

Princess
    Old topic, and not my favourite one either (to say the least).... but I'll probably find myself watching it anyway!

agentcarver
    I've seen the ads for this episode, so I'll probably be watching if I can remember when it is (Doh!)

I missed most of the first half due to the Blazers - Lakers going into overtime, but it appear the episode had the expected L&O level of moral posturing.

Coming from a state where assisted suicide is legal, I believe that actual number of people who have taken advantage of it in the past two years is less than 10. I think this is one of those issues that is blown out of proportion by the media.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Princess
    I think this is one of those issues that is blown out of proportion by the media.
    As usual..... *sigh*, anything for money...

It was a pretty good ep. after all, but I had a bit of a hard time following how they figured it all out.

I just finished watching
    I liked it. I was glad Goran really didn't want to bring the guy who assisted his wife's suicide into it, for fear of getting him in trouble.
    I wish we'd known what happened with the kids from the beginning though. Did just the one guy get 20 yrs. Plus?
    Also found it interesting that they threw in a subtle slam to how some Churches will get money from parisioners... nothing illegal, mind you, but interesting.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

LG.
    yes, the real ethical dilemma in this episode was strong-arm tactics taken by churches, and how a "godly" man like the pharmacist would allow patients to not get effective chemo drugs just to "save face" with their church society. Reminds me why I'm an agnostic. The assisted suicide guy in the story was very sympathetic, but we never really had evidence that the wife was ready to give up the fight. Maybe he "helped" her along unknowingly to end HIS suffering. Who knows. Poor thing had ovarian cancer for 2 years, I wouldn't blame her for wanting to check out. My nagging question, WHY ON EARTH would that husband, who KNEW that he poisoned his wife to death with her meds, allow the exhumation of her body for drug testing. JUST SAY NO TO DRUG TESTING in that instance, dummy.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Princess
    WHY ON EARTH would that husband, who KNEW that he poisoned his wife to death with her meds, allow the exhumation of her body for drug testing. JUST SAY NO TO DRUG TESTING in that instance, dummy.
    Maybe that's why there were so sympathetic with him?

LG.
    It would have been much better for the legal case against the pharmacist if he hadn't consented to exhumation, as then they could have presented that 8 out of 8 former patients whose families consented to exhumation all showed too low levels of cancer drugs in their systems, open and shut case with no avenues for "well what about number 9" defense attorney tactics.

Oh well, made for higher drama as they got to trip up the pharmacist on the steps to his church on a Sunday morning, big drama, whatever.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast