+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ADA Jack McCoy (Sam Waterston)

ADA Jack McCoy (Sam Waterston)

Sam
    Waterston
    as Asst. D.A. Jack McCoy

Acclaimed actor Sam Waterston continues to earn accolades since joining the cast of “Law & Order” as Jack McCoy, a charismatic and tough Executive Assistant D.A., in 1994. He is a six-time Emmy Award nominee (three times for “Law & Order,” and three more for “I’ll Fly Away”) who won the award for hosting the 10-part NBC informational series “Lost Civilizations.” He also received a Golden Globe for “I’ll Fly Away” and earned the 1999 Screen Actors Guild Award for the role of McCoy.

Waterston also earned an Oscar nomination for Best Actor for his performance in “The Killing Fields,” and Golden Globe nominations for Best Supporting Actor and Most Promising Newcomer for his portrayal of Nick Carraway in “The Great Gatsby.” He has also been nominated for several British Television Awards.

Waterston’s other notable film credits include the Woody Allen films “Interiors,” “Hannah and Her Sisters,” “Crimes and Misdemeanors,” John Waters’ “Serial Mom,” “Hopscotch,” “Heaven’s Gate,” “Just Between Friends” and “Welcome Home.” His upcoming features include James Ivory’s 2003 release “Le Divorce” (opposite Kate Hudson, Glenn Close, and Stockard Channing) and Mark Sobel’s “The Commission,” costarring Ed Asner and Martin Landau.

Last spring, Waterston starred as Dennis Shepard in the TV movie “The Matthew Shepard Story,” as the father of the hate-crime victim. He also recently produced and starred opposite Jennifer Beals and Lisa Gay Hamilton in the cable movie “A House Divided.”

In 2000, Waterston appeared in the Syracuse Stage production of Eugene O’Neill’s “Long Day’s Journey into Night.” The critically praised production also starred his son, James Waterston (“Another Time,” “The Lady and the Clarinet”), as well as Elizabeth Franz (Tony Award winner for “Death of a Salesman”) and John Slattery (NBC’s “Ed”).

Waterston’s stage work includes Broadway and off-Broadway productions as well as many plays with the New York Shakespeare Festival, such as “As You Like It,” “Cymbeline,” “Measure for Measure” and “Hamlet.” He earned a Tony Award nomination for his role as Abe Lincoln in “Abe Lincoln in Illinois” at the Lincoln Center Theater in New York, and an Obie Award and a Drama Desk Award for his portrayal of Benedict in “Much Ado About Nothing.”

Waterston lives in Connecticut with his wife and children. His birthday is November 15.

Princess
    Wow, I didn't realise he had such an impressive background!
    I was so sad (well, not that I got depressed, but I didn't like it), when Michael Moriarity left the show. (He is one of the men on my "I am strangely attracted to list"! Very strange...)
    However, I was pleasantly surprised by Sam Waterston, and I really like his character that he plays so well.

I never really liked Sam Waterston, until I saw him in a Saturday Night Live skit, where he was doing a commercial selling "robot insurance" to old people.

Princess
    Didn't see that one, but I'm sure he did it well! (And besides, he is kind of cute, which you may not be able to appreciate, John... )

When I heard he was taking over Moriarity place I thought "What the heck are they doing?"
    I was SO suprised, and just like every character change that has happened, I find myself thinking NO ONE else could play this part
    L&O does a fantastic job with replacements.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

They really screwed up with the DA casting with Dianne Weist. She was terrible.

Princess
    You think so, John? I read that somewhere else too, but I really liked her in that role!

LG.
    He certainly is a "different" ADA than Moriarity's Ben Stone, as Stone was as ethical as possible, whereas McCoy has taken a couple more liberties with his position. Overall I think the character has really grown on me. I read somewhere that Moriarity went "round the bend" and that he's not working anymore, which is too bad as I always loved his Ben Stone.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Moriarty is doing some stock trader's commercials. He's supposed to be the voice of knowledgeable resolve, or some such thing, and he comes off as a broken-down old man. It's unfortunate. I think it's PWC or some other company.

Princess
    I think I read that he has had a drinking problem, which led to severe mood swings and marital problems and he basically said FU to everyone - no fun story at all.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast