+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WTC towers taken out of opening sequence

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar

WTC towers taken out of opening sequence

I just read an article that the WTC towers were taken out of the opening sequence of the Sopranos.

I have mixed emotions about this one. I get chills everytime I see an old movie with the towers in the background. But in a way, I think that's a good thing...I don't ever want to forget.

I agree...it'd be better to remember the WTC.

It seems strange that we are shown images of the attack on the towers with such regularity yet images of them intact are rarely shown.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I've mentioned my feelings on this before, but I think removing images of the towers just because they're no longer there is stupid. To me, it's like destroying a filmwork of an actor if he gets murdered.

I understand there are strong feelings, but it might just be helpful to some people to see the towers comfortably standing on TV and in the movies once in a while.

Although they DID mention 9/11 a couple times in this episode, so they've not totally ignored it.

John

Fluff, that's a great point!

You're right, we are constantly bombarded with the hideous shots of the planes hitting the building and them falling to the ground.

I'm not sure what the rationale is for taking them out.

LG.
    I think some viewers, especially some personally affected by the tragedy, are thrown off everytime they see them is this is deemed less offensive. As for the Sopranos I think it makes sense to have them out of the intro now as it is supposed to be Tony currently driving to Jersey or whatever, and just like the rest of the world, Tony Soprano is now living in a post-9/11 world. When I saw an old episode of Elimidate a couple months ago in which people were ice skating in NYC with the twin towers in the background I just kept thinking, wow, this episode is pretty old now. Movies are a different deal, they were shot and set at a certain time which was before 9/11, but an ongoing tv series I think can adapt to its changing surroundings.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

That's a good point LG!
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

+ Reply to Thread