+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 24 sponsorship deal spells trouble for BBC

24 sponsorship deal spells trouble for BBC

From MediaGuardian.co.uk:

Car giant Ford has paid over 1m to sponsor the first episode of the second series of 24, which will air in the US tonight.

The episode will run without commercial breaks and it will begin and end with two three-minute films made specially for the show by Ford's advertising agency, J Walter Thompson.

In an unprecedented move, the star of 24, Kiefer Sutherland, has recorded a 10-second message, in which he thanks Ford for its support, which will be screened before the show begins.

There will also be a long-running plug for the car brand as special agent Jack Bauer - Sutherland's character - will drive a Ford Expedition four-wheel drive model.
    To read the rest of this article, click on the link above.

OK, I'm lazy... I didn't read the complete article, but why would it spell trouble for BBC?
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

They are barred from airing any program with sponsorship, including product placements.

But they have gotten around it in the past by saying that the deals were already done when they bought the rights. Not so in this case. BBC bought the rights, and then Ford stepped in.

ahhhh... that would suck not to be able to air episode one!
    Hopefully both 24 and Ford will step up and let them air it however they please.
    I assume this would not affect other episodes.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

I'm not sure if it would or not. Ford is also doing a product placement by letting Jack drive a Ford Expedition throughout the season. Does that qualify? I'm not an expert...

Not sure that would qualify as product placement. A lot of shows have their cars provided by the big 4 for the good guys and some even have in the contract that the bad guys will drive the competitions vehicles. I think the BBC is more worried about having the short films at the beginning and end.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

LG.
    Did they show ET in UK? That was the first movie with a noticable paid product placement, for Reese's Pieces. They've been in almost every tv show and movie that has come out since. Michael J. Fox eating raisins in front of a sign for raisins in Back to the Future, Tony Soprano drinking a Coke, it's everywhere. The fact that the deal is entered into BEFORE they bought the rights (which by following this logic, they never should have bought anyway) does not change anything in my opinion, so if that is the real deal I think the Brits are splitting hairs. Sorry, I didn't have time to read the whole article, but I think that's pretty silly.

Glad to be an American.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

They did show ET in the UK.
    The BBC is funded by Government and public money (everyone in the country has to buy a tv license) as they are partly funded by Government money they cannot be seen to support a product blatantly, ie a ten second thank you to Ford or the three minute films.

Product placement within programs is unavoidable for the BBC, but they cannot show advertisements.
    They have managed to get round certain placements as the deals were in place before they bought the tv rights.
    For this show the deal was made after they bought the rights.
    Last edited by fluff; 01-27-2003 at 09:49 AM.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Wait, everyone in the country has to buy a TV license? What the heck is that, and how expensive is it? Is it per TV?

+ Reply to Thread