+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Office

The Office

Has anybody seen The Office, a new series on BBC America? It's done in mockumentary style, a la "Spinal Tap" with similarly dense characters.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

I haven't seen it yet, but the commercials look hilarious. Have you seen it yet candor? Care to share an opinion with us?
    Im haunted a little this evening by feelings that have no vocabulary and events that should be explained in dimensions of lint rather than words.
    -Richard Brautigan

I've seen it, and love it! David and Gareth crack me up something awful And poor Tim breaks my heart, he's so in love with Dawn. It's =painfully= funny, and the characters are so richly drawn. I'd like to have the series on DVD.

I love mockumentaries -- Spinal Tap, Waiting for Guffman, Best in Show, even Blair Witch. It always amazes me how natural they can "act."
    "You're not getting accurate judging. You're not." -- Simon Cowell

I should've stayed in bed brenda's Avatar
    This show is great! But the humor is very subtle and you have to watch closely to figure out what's going on if you're jumping in somewhere in the middle.

It's one of those shows where you can watch the episodes more than once and get something new and funny from it each time.

Originally posted by brenda
    It's one of those shows where you can watch the episodes more than once and get something new and funny from it each time.
    Yeah, especially if you have trouble with their accents (which I do, even though my husband is English).
    "You're not getting accurate judging. You're not." -- Simon Cowell

Yes, these are multi-dimensional characters -- people we'd actually know and office politics we've all played.
    As for the accents, here's a little trick I use when I can't understand The Osbournes: closed-captioning.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

I absolutely love "the Office" ... it's hilarious as ya got to know the characters & I just love it.

I really love the british sitcoms like The office, Keeping up appearances, Coupling etc.... I love the dry humor, it's funny.

Love your avatar candor..... :-D hehe =)
    "He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."

She'll be there when I'm gone... won't she?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyndemere
    I absolutely love "the Office" ... it's hilarious as ya got to know the characters & I just love it.

I really love the british sitcoms like The office, Keeping up appearances, Coupling etc.... I love the dry humor, it's funny.

Love your avatar candor..... :-D hehe =)
    I love Britcoms. "Red Dwarf" is a classic, and "KUA" and "Coupling" are ones I watch regularly as well. I've seen "The Office" a few times as well.

They're supposed to be making Yank (American) versions of "Coupling" and "The Office". Supposed to be the exact same show only with American actors. Somehow it just won't be the same without the British accents.
    R.I.P Willie Dog (?/?/1989-12/17/2004). Gone but never forgotten.

Welcome Zelda (and a hot of other names)! (Born 08/08/2005, adopted 10/08/2005)

Also welcome Shasta! (Born ?/?/2004, Adopted 03/??/07)

I'm deathly afraid they'll turn "Coupling" into an American soap opera somehow, to better suit the "mainstream" American audience... I love the British version & yeah I think you're right.... I don't know if it'll be the same without the accents :-))
    "He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."

She'll be there when I'm gone... won't she?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyndemere
    I'm deathly afraid they'll turn "Coupling" into an American soap opera somehow, to better suit the "mainstream" American audience... I love the British version & yeah I think you're right.... I don't know if it'll be the same without the accents :-))
    If you're familiar with "Red Dwarf", then you might have heard that they were in the process of making an American pilot for a possible conversion series. But they scrapped it about halfway through. I was tooling around on the net one time and found a website that supposedly had the script for that episode... and it was basically the same as the British pilot, only without all the British jokes. It just wasn't the same, so if that was true, I'm glad they decided not to do it.
    R.I.P Willie Dog (?/?/1989-12/17/2004). Gone but never forgotten.

Welcome Zelda (and a hot of other names)! (Born 08/08/2005, adopted 10/08/2005)

Also welcome Shasta! (Born ?/?/2004, Adopted 03/??/07)

+ Reply to Thread