+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Krypton - SyFy

Krypton - SyFy

FYI:

per wiki:

Krypton is an American television series developed by David S. Goyer for Syfy. The series takes place on the eponymous planet, approximately 200 years before the birth of Kal-El / Superman and eventual destruction of the planet, focusing on his grandfather, Seg-El (Cameron Cuffe). Krypton premiered on March 21, 2018. Its first season will consist of ten episodes.
    Everything you need to know about SYFY's Superman series Krypton | SYFY WIRE

EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT SYFY'S KRYPTON Contributed by

Caitlin Busch
    Feb 2, 2018

Before Superman donned the tights and cape, he was a baby on his home planet of Krypton. Famously, it was only upon Krypton's destruction that Superman's father, Jor-El, placed his infant son (then called Kal-El) in an escape pod and sent him to Earth.

SYFY's new series Krypton, which premieres on March 21, will explore the generations of drama that predated that event, as well as the legacy it creates for the future superhero. Krypton follows the young Kryptonian Seg-El, portrayed by Cameron Cuffe (The Halcyon, Florence Foster Jenkins), who just so happens to be Superman's grandfather. The House of El has a longstanding tradition of rising up against oppressors and fighting for the common good, so when a stranger from the future, the aptly named Adam Strange (Shaun Sipos, Dark Matter, The Vampire Diaries), shows up to warn Seg that some bad people want to destroy Krypton, Seg is faced with a complicated question:

How do you protect the future of the universe?

Due to their rabble-rousing, the House of El has been cast out of Kryptonian society. So not only does Seg have to work on rebuilding his family's reputation, he also has to make sure Krypton isn't preemptively destroyed so that his grandson, Kal-El, can be born.

"Where I'm from, your grandson becomes the greatest hero of the universe," Adam tells Seg. That seems like a pretty big deal. But it's a bit bittersweet to know that your grandson becomes "the greatest hero of the universe" because of your world's impending destruction and the death of everything you know and love.

Seg has to hold that destruction off — but, maybe, not stop it altogether — for the sake of the universe.

Perhaps because of the complications that come with Seg knowing the future — because isn't the first rule of time travel something along the lines of "don't influence the past because you don't know how it will change the future"? —Krypton will be a time-traveling, planet-hopping adventure.

That opens up a DC Universe's worth of potential storylines.

Series executive producer David S. Goyer told Entertainment Weekly that Krypton is a "gateway into the DC science fiction universe. Because also the Phantom Zone figures into this show, it means we can delve into other times and planets eventually."

DC CCO Geoff Johns added that the series' time travel element "does give us some unpredictability and some creative license to do some stories you don’t know or stories that play out differently than what people might assume."

All this talk of time travel and gateways to the greater DC Universe is exciting news, especially when you take into account that Goyer revealed at the 2018 TCAs that Krypton already has "a seven-to-eight-year plan" in the works. Even if Superman doesn't make an appearance (though Goyer hasn't yet ruled that out), there at least seems to be plenty of time and flexibility going on for some classic DC faves to show up.

A WHOLE HOST OF POTENTIAL DC CHARACTERS

If you aren't too familiar with DC comics — and, don't worry, you don't have to know anything about comics or Superman to enjoy Krypton — then you might not realize the relevance of including Adam Strange in the story. See, Adam is a superhero, too, in the comics. We're just not sure exactly how super he'll be in Krypton.

The OG Adam Strange was once a simple human archaeologist before getting "accidentally" zapped with a Zeta-Beam and transported to the planet Rann. Luckily for him, the Rannians turned out to be pretty chill, and Adam took up some armor and a ray gun to be one of their warriors. While jumping between planets and fighting evildoers, Adam came across the almighty Justice League, the Green Lantern Corps, and a host of other superpowered heroes.

While Adam's story seems to be heading in a totally different direction in Krypton, that doesn't mean his fate isn't still somewhat tied to the JL, the Lanterns, and those other heroes.

One of those heroes will be, yes, Seg-El, originally spelled "Seyg-El" in the comics. The Seg in Krypton is a little different from the one that Superman fans might know, as the OG Seg was always depicted as a crotchety old dude with a rigid sense of morality. Cuffe's younger version of Seg is both a lover and a fighter. He upholds his family's honor and is viciously proud of their history. He also drinks at bars, gets into scuffles, and casually finds the fate of his people resting on his shoulders.

Seg and Adam will be joined by the villainous Brainiac (Blake Ritson, Da Vinci's Demons), Seg's father, Ter-El, and members of Krypton's other prominent houses, including the infamous House of Zod. Lyta Zod, portrayed by Georgina Campbell, is a warrior, the daughter of General Jayna Zod (Ann Ogbomo), and Seg's secret girlfriend.

You didn't seriously think there wouldn't be some romance involved, did you? Superman's gotta get born somehow, you guys.

Despite all these complications, at least we know that everything will turn out all right and that Superman will continue to be the hero the universe needs but doesn't deserve, right?

Nope.

“It’s all untold story and fertile ground,” showrunner Cameron Welsh said. EPs Johns and Goyer confirmed that Krypton is disconnected from the rest of the DC universe, and they said they encouraged Welsh and his team to go hog wild, giving them "free rein" to even tackle their "own version of Doomsday."

That pretty much guarantees there are no rules. And that could spell bad things for Krypton's characters, as well as some really great things for fans.
    No goat killers on my island.

Re: Krypton - SyFy

Watched the first two episode and they are absolutely fantastic.
    Declan likes this.

Season 1 Episode 1 - "Pilot" - March 21, 2018

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krypton_(TV_series)

200 years before the time of Kal-El (Superman), the corrupt regime leading Krypton has Val-El, grandfather of Seg-El, tried for treason and sentenced to death. Seg and his parents are stripped of their privileges and banished to the lower class slums. Fourteen years later, after preventing a terrorist attack on the Lawmakers Guild, Chief Magistrate Daron-Vex, the same man who condemned the Els, arranges a marriage between Seg and Nyssa, the youngest daughter of the House of Vex, which will allow Seg to be restored to the upper classes. When Seg is alone, Adam Strange approaches him with a message: find the Fortress of Solitude. After Seg is nearly arrested past curfew, his mother Charys takes him to the Fortress which contains Val-El's research. Val was researching something before his death, and was silenced for it. Now, the House of El needs to move forward with caution. After returning to the city, their home is raided and Charys is arrested. Brought before the council, and refusing to acknowledge the existence of the Fortress, Seg's parents attack the guards, only to be killed by Jayna-Zod. Back at the Fortress, Strange returns to a depressed Seg, telling him there is a future, but it is fading due to temporal meddling by a cosmic evil seeking to erase Superman.
    Very strong first episode. Seg El has a great glower. Luv'ed his mother stealing a skimmer and taking him for a ride.

Adam Strange smokes cigarettes???

This pilot episode was very strong with the characters, the setup, the costumes, and set design. It really holds your interest even if you didn't know who Superman is.

I liked the interplay between Seg's mom and Lyta Zod's mom. There was some history and understanding there and later when Commander Zod was confronting Daron Vex, even he spoke of Commander Zod showing mercy to Seg's parents by shooting them over letting them be tortured/interrogated. I like it when there is always a second or third explanation to events under the surface.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 04-02-2018 at 03:17 AM.

Season 1 Episode 2 - "House of El" - March 28, 2018

Seg questions Adam's warning and disregards it so as to plan vengeance on Daron-Vex. Seg requests from Daron funeral rights for his parents, but denied as they died labeled "traitors". As Seg is readying himself to kill Daron, Vex details why he had Val-El killed: despite being a brilliant scientist, his development of an incredibly powerful computer system supposedly discovered a "world collector" millions of light years from Krypton and Val's research was deemed heretical. Hearing this, Seg is partly convinced of Adam's warning of Brainiac. Being permitted to join the Science Guild, Seg brings a data tablet to Adam & Kem for a look; but as the data disagrees with Val's research, Seg plans to kill the magistrate but is intercepted by Nyssa who gives him his parent's ashes for closure (when really it was to manipulate his trust). Taking their ashes to the Fortress, Seg finds a DNA lock and triggers the activation of his grandfather's hologram, who details that the House El has for generations brought hope & change to Krypton no matter the times; Val's was discovering the Phantom Zone, using it to travel the universe learning of Brainiac. Seg swears to stop the threat, and returns to Vex to tell him he will not wear another house crest; prompting the Voice of Rao to have Seg wear the Science Guild's crest as a compromise. While reviewing the data, Kem & Adam find a meterological abnormality outside the city, leading them to a shocking discovery- Brainiac is already on Krypton. Lyta, disturbed by the Military Guild readying to purge through the slums to weed out Black Zero terrorists, challenges her commander to the death for command. Jayna warns her daughter to reconsider, to no avail, and Lyta musters all her wrath to kill her commander, claiming her squadron as their new leader.
    Your parents are killed in front of your eyes and to protect you and you can't even give them proper burial rights. Deep anger and resentment there folks.

Lot's of politics going on behind the scenes.

Was surprised that Adam Strange was hanging around for more then one episode but for this series to work you need a lot of very good supporting characters.

Lyta, I'm sorry but she her body just doesn't have the muscle on it yet. Her mom OTOH is freaking scary.

Still a very strong episode.

American Idol Deluxe Arielflies's Avatar

I'm so glad you gave good reviews for both as they are waiting for me on the DVR and I may be watching today.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fanatic

I am digging it so far (although I cannot recall a single character's name).

Season 1 Episode 3 - "The Rankless Initiative" - April 4, 2018

The Val hologram examines Brainiac's probe, learning it carried a sentry to infect a host. After a Military meeting on how to root out Black Zero, Lyta's opinion causes friction between Vex, her mother, and Dev-Em. Adam finds the sentry probe in the black markets, and brings it to Seg and Kem. As they head to the Fortress, the Military Guild begin to process the rankless for Black Zero agents. Adam covertly brings the probe to Val, who reveals the sentry is active in a host, revealed to be Seg's neighbor Rhom who activates and begins killing soldiers in her path. The Saggitarai use excessive force on the rankless to coerce information about the bodies, leading to officer Kol-Da killing an unarmed man before being arrested. Seg asks Lyta for a shock grenade, and uses it to take down the fully infected Rhom in the Communications hub before revealing to Lyta that Val was right, as the two prepare to defend Krypton without the Council's interference. Val confirms that Brainiac's modifications are keeping Rhom alive, and that she is a tracker that is now bringing Brainiac to Krypton.
    That should be transmitter. Again pet peeve against reviewers who don't listen to the show they are watching.

Another tight episode with tension built in. Amazing to see absolute dictators/tyrants (The Voice of Rao) make the same mistake over and over again using the police force as brutes and beating down on the lowest level of the population.

Religious dictators are the worst.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 04-15-2018 at 12:53 PM.

Season 1 Episode 4 - "The Word of Rao" - April 11, 2018

Finding the failed Initiative has caused discontent, the Voice of Rao needs a scapegoat; having Vex arrest Lyta on charges of Treason. Elsewhere, "The Commander", a new player in Black Zero, orders his men to find Seg. As Rhom will die soon, Seg has to tell Ohnna, Rhom's daughter, but Kem informs Seg of Lyta, making him go ask Nyssa to represent Lyta. Nyssa later realizes her father falsified evidence, jeopardizing their plot to overthrow Rao with Zod's support. So Nyssa takes a chance on Jayna with an offer to overthrow Rao, but Jayna is hesitant due to her honor and oath. Seg decides to bring Rhom to the council, but the Commander's troopers take him to their badlands hideout first. There, The Commander, fully aware of Brainiac, questions Seg, as he needs to dissect the sentry before it finds a new host. Kem finally tells Ohnna, who wants to give an offering for her mom's soul at the Nova ceremony. Kem explains themselves to Rao, and seeing her offering he invites Ohnna as a disciple. At the Fortress, Rhom's last words are to stop Ohnna, as the offering to Rao is another sentry, which now infects the Voice of Rao. Seg finally escapes, but must navigate the endless Badlands storms.
    The girl's name is Ona.

While I don't mind a twisty turvy plot it still needs to make sense. Rhom, the lady who was taken over by Brainiac's parasite was a scout that transmitted data to Brainiac where in all the story line did Brainiac respond and instruct parasite Rhomn into booby trapping her daughter's statue knowing that when Ona found out about her mother's death Ona would present the statue as an offering. Let's not stretch credulity too much folks.

Also big black dude by now doesn't have obedient lackeys/followers and must demonstrate it by breaking one's neck in front of Sig? Hard core extremists know how to control their minions.

Thankfully, Sig it not stupid enough to take these dudes to the Fortress of Solitude.

I really wanted to like this. The production value is really high. Great sets, cinematography, etc. The rest of it? Meh I struggled through a few episodes (kept falling asleep) and then deleted it from my DVR.
    annemik likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I really wanted to like this. The production value is really high. Great sets, cinematography, etc. The rest of it? Meh I struggled through a few episodes (kept falling asleep) and then deleted it from my DVR.
    Possibly the lack of super powers in a superhero franchise?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast