+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree293Likes

Thread: Roseanne - The Reboot

The New Roseanne

I'm excited to see how they react with one another. If they still have that chemistry they had before. Can't wait to see how they explain the fact that Dan is still alive. What happened to David, and when Darlene finally figured out she was gay. Where did they find the girl that plays Darlene's daughter, she looks just like Sarah Gilbert (Darlene). How are they gonna work in the other Becky? I have so many questions. LOL. Can't wait to watch and find out.

FORT Fogey

Roseanne - The Reboot

Did anyone watch last night? I understand there will be 9 episodes, and after seeing last night's show, I hope that's all they do. Sorry, me no likey, and I was hoping I would. I watched the original umpteen years ago, and perhaps I never realized that it was all about Roseanne Barr's ego, but last night it certainly seemed that way. Some of the actors have gone on to bigger and better things, and I particularly hated seeing Oscar and Golden Globe nominee Laurie Metcalf being reduced to this role again. It was somewhat cute that the second Becky is now playing a woman who hires the original Becky (43 years old pretending to be 33) to be her surrogate, and that Darlene's son (for some reason named Mark, which made me wonder since Mark was Becky's husband, now dead, so did Darlene name her kid after Becky's husband? If not, they could have picked any one of a million other names for the boy) prefers to wear "girls' clothes." I can see that getting old after another episode or two. Too much political stuff, as well, athough Barr defends it by saying this goes on in many American families. I wasn't the greatest fan of the original show, but this did not even have the real feel of that one. It was more like watching actors on a stage trying too hard to be who they once were.
    Imperfect1 likes this.

FORT Fogey

Re: Roseanne - The Reboot

I watched it, and I really enjoyed it. It was clear that they were still knocking off some rust in some scenes, but all in all I was much happier with the way this came back than Will and Grace. I felt like they respected the things that people love about the show and stayed true to them. I liked the way they acknowledged things that happened at the end of the show which they would be glossing over - Dan dying ... finding the script Roseanne wrote ... an explanation for the fourth child they had who wasn't around. I also thought the direction each character had taken showed they progressed, but made sense to who we knew them to be originally. With all the careers she'd had, Jackie being a life coach made total sense. Darlene being back home but being embarrassed by it made sense.
    I thought the best brain storm they had was how to include both Beckys. I liked that. And I loved Darlene pointing out the hypocrisy of her being a tom-boy 20 years ago being perfect normal, but a boy today wearing more feminine clothes being so odd.
    All in all, I thought the core of the show was still there - a family that bickers and annoys each other, but at their core support and look out for each other no matter what.
    "The way we treat people we strongly disagree with is a report card on what we've learned about love, compassion, and kindness." - Marcandangel

"There should be less value placed on agreement and more on understanding each other"

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

I actually liked it too. Obviously they have some kinks to work out, but I think they will get there. IMO it is so much better than Will and Grace

As for Darlene naming her son Mark, don't forget David (Darlene's husband) was Mark's little brother. Maybe they decided to honor him by naming their son after him after he died
    agamergirl and jucamer like this.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

FORT Fogey

It was sad that Darlene is home telling herself it's to take care of her parents (both of whom are portrayed as perfectly able, despite all their meds), when really she needs them to take care of her. She had so much promise as a youngster ... she cold write, she went to art school, yet she has no career. Becky is a waitress, and DJ doesn't seem to have a job or career, either. (Yes, I know he was in the service, but what does he do now?) Couldn't at least one of them have achieved something career-wise so they could support themselves? They're all in their 30s and 40s now. All that family bickering and crankiness is old and annoying now. Their dynamic is depressing. There's nothing I enjoy about this show, political commentary included.
    Imperfect1 and sparklete like this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by combatcutie View Post
    I actually liked it too. Obviously they have some kinks to work out, but I think they will get there. IMO it is so much better than Will and Grace

As for Darlene naming her son Mark, don't forget David (Darlene's husband) was Mark's little brother. Maybe they decided to honor him by naming their son after him after he died
    Good memory, I'd forgotten about that! I assumed that he was named after Becky's (now deceased) husband. I didn't realize until a friend told me today that the actor who plays him died shortly after the show ended. So it does feel like a fitting tribute - especially since he would have been a double-uncle.
    sclarke257 likes this.
    "The way we treat people we strongly disagree with is a report card on what we've learned about love, compassion, and kindness." - Marcandangel

"There should be less value placed on agreement and more on understanding each other"

I liked it. I laughed out loud at some parts. I'll give it a chance. Didn't care for the political stuff though, in regards to the president. I know one thing, they did an awesome job casting Darlene's daughter!
    "Blindsided, oh, friendship blindsided you're going home, home!" -Paul BB18

I enjoyed it. Laughed and cried. (Laurie Metcalf is still so darn funny and as humerous as Sara Gilbert can be, her tears were genuine.). It's not rocket science but it never was. Looking forward to the remainder of the episodes.
    karna68, jucamer and AcookerTV like this.

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by karna68 View Post
    I liked it. I laughed out loud at some parts. I'll give it a chance. Didn't care for the political stuff though, in regards to the president. I know one thing, they did an awesome job casting Darlene's daughter!
    Me too. A couple of things really made me LOL!
    I think the political stuff was funny, and I knew they would use it.
    Great casting!
    tinderbox and jucamer like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I loved it - this is the way politics should be handled in a sitcom (make note Will & Grace)- funny jibes on both sides. They still have great chemistry & Laurie Metcalf is just so freaking funny! Will be watching again next week!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast