+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: American Crime Story

American Crime Story

I'm starting this thread as a place where we can discuss the TV series American Crime Story on FX. The show is currently on hiatus, but I wanted to go ahead and start this thread (before I forget) so we can come back here next year or in the meantime, post info, updates, etc... until the show returns for Season #2.

As many of you recall, Season #1 explored the OJ Simpson case and it was depicted extremely well. Season #2 is going to cover the murder of fashion designer Gianni Versace. For those of you unfamiliar with that case, trust me -- it's interesting. It goes way beyond the death of Gianni Versace. Versace's murderer, Andrew Cunanan was a serial killer who is known to have murdered at least 5 people including Versace. Those of you who are true crime lovers, should really like this series. It's peppered with bodies rolled in carpet, claw hammers, duct tape and all kinds of stuff that makes me sleep with a nightlight on. Andrew Cunanan was on the FBI's 10 Most Wanted list. He had a near-genius IQ and was a master manipulator who managed to fool many people into believing he was someone of importance. So even if you're not particularly interested in the death of Versace himself, I hope you'll give this series a chance.

Season #3 of American Crime Story is going to focus on the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

Season #4 is going to explore the Monica Lewinsky - Bill Clinton scandal. (I might just pass on that one.... but we'll see).
    momrek06 and jeanne like this.
    2016 Yearbook Title: Only FORT Member Known To Have Gotten An Air Traffic Controller Back On Track.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Re: American Crime Story

Has anyone seen the first episode of "The Assassination of Gianni Versace"? I did, and thought it was GORGEOUSLY done! Visually it's a masterpiece! Really. Beautiful.

I'm not a crime buff, but I knew the story of Versace's murder --- and I thought this first episode did really well in introducing the characters, getting into the back-story a bit, and showing Versace's life style a bit. etc. Very intriguing. Compelling performances. Can't wait for episode #2!
    momrek06 likes this.

FORT Fan

Watching - I live in Chicago and remember when Cunanan was on the loose after the murder of a wealthy older man who lived in my neighborhood...my friends and I were a bit nervous about a serial killer on the loose (the news said he had been suspected of that)...it was crazy how it all came down. I've also walked by Versace's house in Miami and it's unbelievable such a place can be right there out on a main street like that in such a dense city area!
    momrek06 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1 View Post
    Has anyone seen the first episode of "The Assassination of Gianni Versace"? I did, and thought it was GORGEOUSLY done! Visually it's a masterpiece! Really. Beautiful.

I'm not a crime buff, but I knew the story of Versace's murder --- and I thought this first episode did really well in introducing the characters, getting into the back-story a bit, and showing Versace's life style a bit. etc. Very intriguing. Compelling performances. Can't wait for episode #2!
    It's on my DVR!!!

Planning to watch sooner than later.
    KAREN

I'm watching it. Such a sad story. Versace and Princess Diana were friends. Versace got murdered in July of '97 and Diana died in that horrible car crash just one month later. I remember seeing pictures of Diane trying to hold herself together at Versace's funeral all the while having no idea she, herself, had only a month to live.
    momrek06 and Imperfect1 like this.
    2016 Yearbook Title: Only FORT Member Known To Have Gotten An Air Traffic Controller Back On Track.

Well that episode was a little eye opening. Wonder how much is true. Wonder if Cunanan told people he was a serial killer. Wonder if Versace and his bf were really into multiple partners.
    momrek06 likes this.

Ohhhh this is so GOOD!!! SAD but the story is being told so well. AND great acting.

I remember when Gianni was gunned down on the steps of his Mansion. Oh wow. He was so incredibly talented.

I remember the killer being on the run after shooting Gianni.

What a moron AC is. Yikes. How anyone could stand to be around him for more than 5 minutes???

I was not aware of AC being a serial killer but it appears from the previews we will find out more.

Wow, Joseph, I had no idea Diana was a month later.......

What were those painful looking flesh wounds all over AC's thigh in the opening scene as he sat on the beach?
    JosephD likes this.
    KAREN

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06 View Post
    Ohhhh this is so GOOD!!! SAD but the story is being told so well. AND great acting.

I remember when Gianni was gunned down on the steps of his Mansion. Oh wow. He was so incredibly talented.

I remember the killer being on the run after shooting Gianni.

What a moron AC is. Yikes. How anyone could stand to be around him for more than 5 minutes???

I was not aware of AC being a serial killer but it appears from the previews we will find out more.

Wow, Joseph, I had no idea Diana was a month later.......

What were those painful looking flesh wounds all over AC's thigh in the opening scene as he sat on the beach?
    I agree about the acting. When I first heard Ricky Martin was going to play Versace's BF, I was a little apprehensive. Menudo and General Hospital were before my time, so all I knew about Ricky Martin -- other than that he's my future husband -- was his "Livin' La Vida Loca." I only know him as a singer. I was afraid he wouldn't be the right choice for this part, but he's proven me wrong. Or maybe I'm just bias because my fluttering heart has all but blinded my better judgment.

Either way, I was 9 when all this happened so I don't remember the story firsthand, but I've been fascinated with this story because of all the layers it entails. Yes, Cunanan was a serial killer. Versace was his 5th victim. The things Cunanan did to his other victims were much more gruesome than Versace's death. And what a waste of a life for Cunanan. He had a genius IQ but his obsession with Versace and his self-loathing homophobia got the better of him.

I love the makeup transformation they did on Edgar Ramirez. If you don't know him other than from this series, you gotta Google search his image. He looks almost nothing like Versace.

Did you know the scenes of Versace's mansion are not a recreation filmed on a set? They were filmed in his actual mansion, which is now a hotel for the rich and famous.

KAREN

Joseph, USAToday is saying to WATCH THIS EPISODE TONIGHT!!!

"One of the BEST of the season" ... from the article.

I put it in Spoilers as the epi has not aired yet.

The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story
    FX, 10 ET/PT

Click to see Spoiler:
    The unsettling second season of American Crime Story is slowly revealing the story of spree killer Andrew Cunanan (Darren Criss), and this episode focuses entirely on one of his earlier victims, Chicago real estate magnate Lee Miglin (Mike Farrell). The episode, one of the best of the season, is occasionally hard to watch. But Judith Light puts in an exceptional performance as Miglin's devoted wife Marilyn, whose hard exterior is broken by the violent crime. Of all nine episodes, this one feels almost like a short film, more about Lee than his killer.
    Punkin and JosephD like this.
    KAREN

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast