+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: Feud: Bette & Joan on FX

FORT Fogey

Re: Feud: Bette & Joan on FX

I kept trying to infuse scenes from Mommie Dearest into scenes from this. Like when they showed a scene of Joan marrying the CEO of Pepsi, I was taken out of it for a moment because the actor playing her husband didn't look like the guy that played him in MD.
    jenniferboston1 likes this.
    "The way we treat people we strongly disagree with is a report card on what we've learned about love, compassion, and kindness." - Marcandangel

"There should be less value placed on agreement and more on understanding each other"

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    I kept trying to infuse scenes from Mommie Dearest into scenes from this. Like when they showed a scene of Joan marrying the CEO of Pepsi, I was taken out of it for a moment because the actor playing her husband didn't look like the guy that played him in MD.
    Way too much going on in my head with comparisons between SS and BD and JL and JC in looks/make up and acting styles. Also conjuring up images of the real BD and JC, in general and the movies they were in that I have seen etc. It just threw me off BIG TIME. I kept rewinding scenes because I wasn't actually watching or listening. Like I said, I just need to let that all go and try to enjoy what's right in front of my eyes during the next episode.

Maybe this show would actually be better if two relatively unknowns played the lead roles.

I just decided to check ON DEMAND and yup, you can watch the 1962 "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane" movie!!!

I believe its $2.99. I might try it. BUT its just so creepy.

Here is a sneak peek.

https://vimeo.com/156054671
    Punkin and jenniferboston1 like this.
    KAREN

I found that too, Karen. I might just watch it. It was a really good movie for it's time, though I didn't think it was "horror". How different things are now! They were truly the Great Actresses of their era, and that was a befitting tribute to their golden years. The fact that they had to make it happen on their own past fame and reputations, good for them!
    momrek06 likes this.
    Lynda

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    I found that too, Karen. I might just watch it. It was a really good movie for it's time, though I didn't think it was "horror". How different things are now! They were truly the Great Actresses of their era, and that was a befitting tribute to their golden years. The fact that they had to make it happen on their own past fame and reputations, good for them!
    ITA, Lynda.

I don't think the movie is "horror" as much as I think its sadness.

The downfall of their careers and simply due back in those days as not enough roles for actresses as they got older.

Thankfully, times have so changed.

I loathe horror and like I said I agree with you, I could not look away.

Horror, ugh, I would have not even watched more than a few seconds.

I think it was actually the sadness of this movie that I have never watched it again.

But with FEUD, now I do want to see it again.
    Punkin and libgirl2 like this.
    KAREN

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06 View Post
    ITA, Lynda.

I don't think the movie is "horror" as much as I think its sadness.

The downfall of their careers and simply due back in those days as not enough roles for actresses as they got older.

Thankfully, times have so changed.

I loathe horror and like I said I agree with you, I could not look away.

Horror, ugh, I would have not even watched more than a few seconds.

I think it was actually the sadness of this movie that I have never watched it again.

But with FEUD, now I do want to see it again.
    I like horror but never thought of that movie as out and out horror. I agree, its something more sad, pathetic and lonely then a scary movie at least for me. I do remember after the movie there were a slew of horror movies with older actresses like Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte with Olivia de Havilland and Bette Davis. Joan Crawford did a few of these horror movies too.
    momrek06 likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Oh gosh, now I wish we could see it , even more..
    I have Starchoice and am getting FX as a free preview this month. Just watched the first two on Sunday.

Saw the movie when I was a teenager...the scene with her practicing sing I remember that in the movie clearly.
    momrek06 likes this.

FORT Newbie

I am very surprised at how sympathetic they're making Joan. I kind of thought she would be more the villain and they would cater to the audience who know her name from Mommie Dearest.

Susan Sarandon is fricking amazing as Bette though, oh my god.
    Punkin, tinderbox and Imperfect1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by regina_giddens View Post
    I am very surprised at how sympathetic they're making Joan. I kind of thought she would be more the villain and they would cater to the audience who know her name from Mommie Dearest.

Susan Sarandon is fricking amazing as Bette though, oh my god.
    I agree, I can't believe I feel sorry for her!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

I think they are doing a nice job of showing both women as multi-dimensional.
    libgirl2 and Imperfect1 like this.
    "The way we treat people we strongly disagree with is a report card on what we've learned about love, compassion, and kindness." - Marcandangel

"There should be less value placed on agreement and more on understanding each other"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast