+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 63
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: Feud: Bette & Joan on FX

  1. #21
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    6,469

    Re: Feud: Bette & Joan on FX

    I kept trying to infuse scenes from Mommie Dearest into scenes from this. Like when they showed a scene of Joan marrying the CEO of Pepsi, I was taken out of it for a moment because the actor playing her husband didn't look like the guy that played him in MD.
    jenniferboston1 likes this.
    "The way we treat people we strongly disagree with is a report card on what we've learned about love, compassion, and kindness." - Marcandangel

    "There should be less value placed on agreement and more on understanding each other"

  2. #22
    FORT Fogey tinderbox's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,772

    Re: Feud: Bette & Joan on FX

    Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    I kept trying to infuse scenes from Mommie Dearest into scenes from this. Like when they showed a scene of Joan marrying the CEO of Pepsi, I was taken out of it for a moment because the actor playing her husband didn't look like the guy that played him in MD.
    Way too much going on in my head with comparisons between SS and BD and JL and JC in looks/make up and acting styles. Also conjuring up images of the real BD and JC, in general and the movies they were in that I have seen etc. It just threw me off BIG TIME. I kept rewinding scenes because I wasn't actually watching or listening. Like I said, I just need to let that all go and try to enjoy what's right in front of my eyes during the next episode.

    Maybe this show would actually be better if two relatively unknowns played the lead roles.

  3. #23
    FORT Fogey momrek06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Orange County, California
    Posts
    11,037

    Re: Feud: Bette & Joan on FX

    I just decided to check ON DEMAND and yup, you can watch the 1962 "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane" movie!!!

    I believe its $2.99. I might try it. BUT its just so creepy.

    Here is a sneak peek.

    https://vimeo.com/156054671
    Punkin and jenniferboston1 like this.
    KAREN

  4. #24
    FORT Fogey Punkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    8,247

    Re: Feud: Bette & Joan on FX

    I found that too, Karen. I might just watch it. It was a really good movie for it's time, though I didn't think it was "horror". How different things are now! They were truly the Great Actresses of their era, and that was a befitting tribute to their golden years. The fact that they had to make it happen on their own past fame and reputations, good for them!
    momrek06 likes this.
    Lynda

  5. #25
    FORT Fogey momrek06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Orange County, California
    Posts
    11,037

    Re: Feud: Bette & Joan on FX

    Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    I found that too, Karen. I might just watch it. It was a really good movie for it's time, though I didn't think it was "horror". How different things are now! They were truly the Great Actresses of their era, and that was a befitting tribute to their golden years. The fact that they had to make it happen on their own past fame and reputations, good for them!
    ITA, Lynda.

    I don't think the movie is "horror" as much as I think its sadness.

    The downfall of their careers and simply due back in those days as not enough roles for actresses as they got older.

    Thankfully, times have so changed.

    I loathe horror and like I said I agree with you, I could not look away.

    Horror, ugh, I would have not even watched more than a few seconds.

    I think it was actually the sadness of this movie that I have never watched it again.

    But with FEUD, now I do want to see it again.
    Punkin and libgirl2 like this.
    KAREN

  6. #26
    FORT Fogey libgirl2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Feud: Bette & Joan on FX

    Quote Originally Posted by momrek06 View Post
    ITA, Lynda.

    I don't think the movie is "horror" as much as I think its sadness.

    The downfall of their careers and simply due back in those days as not enough roles for actresses as they got older.

    Thankfully, times have so changed.

    I loathe horror and like I said I agree with you, I could not look away.

    Horror, ugh, I would have not even watched more than a few seconds.

    I think it was actually the sadness of this movie that I have never watched it again.

    But with FEUD, now I do want to see it again.
    I like horror but never thought of that movie as out and out horror. I agree, its something more sad, pathetic and lonely then a scary movie at least for me. I do remember after the movie there were a slew of horror movies with older actresses like Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte with Olivia de Havilland and Bette Davis. Joan Crawford did a few of these horror movies too.
    momrek06 likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

  7. #27
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    394

    Re: Feud: Bette & Joan on FX

    Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Oh gosh, now I wish we could see it , even more..
    I have Starchoice and am getting FX as a free preview this month. Just watched the first two on Sunday.

    Saw the movie when I was a teenager...the scene with her practicing sing I remember that in the movie clearly.
    momrek06 likes this.

  8. #28
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    28

    Re: Feud: Bette & Joan on FX

    I am very surprised at how sympathetic they're making Joan. I kind of thought she would be more the villain and they would cater to the audience who know her name from Mommie Dearest.

    Susan Sarandon is fricking amazing as Bette though, oh my god.
    Punkin, tinderbox and Imperfect1 like this.

  9. #29
    FORT Fogey libgirl2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Feud: Bette & Joan on FX

    Quote Originally Posted by regina_giddens View Post
    I am very surprised at how sympathetic they're making Joan. I kind of thought she would be more the villain and they would cater to the audience who know her name from Mommie Dearest.

    Susan Sarandon is fricking amazing as Bette though, oh my god.
    I agree, I can't believe I feel sorry for her!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

  10. #30
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    6,469

    Re: Feud: Bette & Joan on FX

    I think they are doing a nice job of showing both women as multi-dimensional.
    libgirl2 and Imperfect1 like this.
    "The way we treat people we strongly disagree with is a report card on what we've learned about love, compassion, and kindness." - Marcandangel

    "There should be less value placed on agreement and more on understanding each other"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.