+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Legion (FX)

Legion (FX)

Brief synopsis:
    Legion, based on the Marvel Comics by Chris Claremont and Bill Sienkiewicz, is the story of David Haller (Dan Stevens) – a troubled young man who may be more than human.

Diagnosed as schizophrenic as a child, David has been in and out of psychiatric hospitals for years. Now in his early 30s and institutionalized once again, David loses himself in the rhythm of the structured regimen of life in the hospital: breakfast, lunch, dinner, therapy, medications, sleep. David spends the rest of his time in companionable silence alongside his chatterbox friend Lenny (Aubrey Plaza), a fellow patient whose life-long drug and alcohol addiction has done nothing to quell her boundless optimism that her luck is about to change. The pleasant numbness of David’s routine is completely upended with the arrival of a beautiful and troubled new patient named Syd (Rachel Keller). Inexplicably drawn to one another, David and Syd share a startling encounter, after which he must confront the shocking possibility that the voices he hears and the visions he sees are the result of him being a mutant.
    I saw a ton of commercials for this show during Taboo and got curious. I didn't realize it was a Marvel property until shortly before the show started. The first episode was very odd, but I was definitely up to watch more. The second episode drew me in so much that when it ended my thought was "wait...but I want more now!!!" I'm really curious how the "devil with the yellow eyes" ties into his mutant abilities.

Re: Legion (FX)

My husband and I watched two episodes and are done. Although it is a very interesting concept, it is so confusing to figure out what is real and what is imaginary and seen only by him. We both got tired of the effort it took to filter through the confusion.

I was eager to watch as the trailers look interesting and Marvel has a high standard for their TV and movie properties. It was difficult to get through episode one as it was extended by 20 or so minutes but the whole point was that the main character may be nuts is driven into the viewer and I got about halfway through episode 2 and quit. I have too much on my DVR that I know it good to struggle through this mess.

Freeform the channel previously known as ABC Family is doing an adaption of Marvel's Cloak and Dagger and I know that will be watchable.
    No goat killers on my island.

Aw, bummer.

To me the main point is that he ISN'T crazy, but he was raised to think he is so it's ingrained in his self perception. Now they have to deprogram him and help him figure out what is real in his memories and what is the result of his power. I think it is fascinating trying to pull apart the truth from reality!
    Arielflies likes this.

Exactly. But it is all so circular, that after awhile you wonder if you are crazy. Who is real? Who isn't?

I'm still watching.
    ClosetRTWatcher and sclilred1 like this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Legion (FX)

I just finished episode three and I am as intrigued as ever. I will definitely keep watching to find out what happens next!!!

I have to commend FX on their advertising. I got interested in this show while watching Taboo. Now during this show they are pushing "Feud: Betty and Joan" and they are starting to get me curious about this show also!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This last show was a bit meandering in that astral plane, but I'm still bought in. I will keep watching at this point just to figure out what is reality. Interesting that Lenny and the yellow eyed monster may be one and the same. There are so many little questions that I want answers to.

I was kind of bummed that we just found out that the fighting girl was the alter ego of the older scientist only to have her shot. Although I suppose we don't know if they died just yet...

As a side note, I find the 60s-mod look of this show quite interesting. It keeps you guessing as to the real setting.

This last episode seemed like a lot of time to dedicate to being trapped in David's mind. At the end they seemed to "reveal" that this world was created by the monster, but I had that down within the first 5 minutes of the show. What other explanation was there?

Just watched Chapter 7. How many episodes are in this season? I'm not sure I can get enough of this show, I love it!!

On a side note, I went to see the new Beauty and the Beast last weekend and I laughed audibly (although quietly) when the beast became human and it was... David!!

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    Just watched Chapter 7. How many episodes are in this season? I'm not sure I can get enough of this show, I love it!!

On a side note, I went to see the new Beauty and the Beast last weekend and I laughed audibly (although quietly) when the beast became human and it was... David!!

There is one more chapter this season (I've watched all of them so far as well). I'm hoping it comes back because while it's definitely a trip at times, it's interesting.

And your comment about Beauty and the Beast now makes it clearer how he was able to do such a flawless British accent in the scenes (It's actually the reverse). It was also interesting that at one point David sounded a lot like his true father (Dr. Xavier if I've got the comics correct).

The one thing I was glad they did was decide to change the monster to female. Lenny was indeed supposed to be male, but they cast the role as a female. I think it's honestly a lot creepier to have this character in such a form.

One issue I hope they change after this season should it be renewed? - except in cases where David may lapse (if they keep aspects of his X-Men persona intact - the schizophrenia is actually a true attribute), they try to play it a little more straightforward. Time will tell however what goes down.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast