+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: Big Little Lies on HBO

Re: Big Little Lies on HBO

I really, really like Ed and I'm unsure why they turned him into a bit of a creeper in the last ep. The line about loving sweat on women and then checking the other lady out as he walked away...it just seemed a tad out of character of how they have presented him so far.

The Elvis costume w/ Chloe was a cute scene.
    Keep your feet on the ground, when your heads in the clouds!

I haven't read the book yet either but have seen several places that and affair with director was NOT in the book. I think maybe they are trying to make her not so perfect, which is fine with me.
    "Alot of people when they listen, they don't listen. They hear but they don't listen to what the person is saying. " Boston Rob (Mariano)
    Thanks pikachu for the avatar!

KAREN

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    I don't recall the affair happening in the book. I read somewhere else suggesting that they strayed away from the book there and a few other places. Does anyone else who read it remember that being part of it? I remember Maddie's relationship with her husband being a bit challenged because she took him for granted ... or wasn't always sensitive to the way things she said and did impacted him. But I don't recall her cheating on him.
    You're right, Maddie's relationship with her husband was always a bit problematic mainly because like you said Maddie had always took him for granted, but the affair never happened in the book. I think the reason why the producers of the TV series decided to go down that route is probably because there was obviously some chemistry between Maddie and the director or because they simply just wanted to add even more drama to the already very dramatic series.
    Cornholio likes this.
    People change, love hurts, friends leave, things go wrong, but just remember that life goes on.

Fort Member
    where its beautiful one day perfect the next

It was not until I saw the shorts for this that I realised I had read the book about a year ago The book stars 3/4 the way through the story then goes back to the beginning and flips back and forth a little bit until it get all catched up so you know what happened just not to who and who did it. It was a good book so I have not seen anything other than the ads for the show I am afraid that it wont be as good as I never in a million years would have picked Nicole or Reese for the characters never, ever, ever, ever they just don't fit the descriptions I had in my head at all
    Happiness is an unexpected piece of chocolate!

I'm watching it now. Holy wow! Reese Witherspoon's character is incredible!
    Punkin and Cornholio like this.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

Quote Originally Posted by Lucynda View Post
    It was not until I saw the shorts for this that I realised I had read the book about a year ago The book stars 3/4 the way through the story then goes back to the beginning and flips back and forth a little bit until it get all catched up so you know what happened just not to who and who did it. It was a good book so I have not seen anything other than the ads for the show I am afraid that it wont be as good as I never in a million years would have picked Nicole or Reese for the characters never, ever, ever, ever they just don't fit the descriptions I had in my head at all
    I understand your concerns, I also have read the book and was initially apprehensive about the series too, but I'm actually thoroughly enjoying it and I'm glad I gave this series a chance. Even though I too had never pictured Reese Witherspoon and Nicole Kidman in these roles but so far I am actually impressed with their portrayals of the characters, especially Reese Witherspoon, I think she's doing a fantastic job portraying Madeline, Nicole is not bad as Celeste and I like Shailene Woodley as Jane too.
    beerbelly and Kiz like this.
    People change, love hurts, friends leave, things go wrong, but just remember that life goes on.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

I've been thinking for awhile that either one or both of the twins are bullying Amabella. The therapist's concerns over whether the abuse/violence has impacted the twins with Celeste's vehement insistence that they are unaware, makes it seem as if they are the likely culprits. HOWEVER, now I am wondering if this is a red herring. Could it possibly be Chloe, Maddie's daughter? The popular one? Maybe this is why Amabella is reluctant to reveal who it is.

Just a big UGH to Maddie's affair. I understand it wasn't in the book, so why did they feel it was necessary to include this? Poor Ed, the way he rushed into the hospital shows a man who truly loves his wife. And he's not buying what Maddie is selling about the reason she was in the car with theater director Joseph.

Jane is an odd one and the weakest link, acting-wise, to me, in this series. I was angered that she was smoking weed and driving. And the fact that she keeps a gun under her pillow and not secured pi#@es me off! She was very passive in the principal's office. She already knows that Ziggy has more or less been cleared by the child psychologist of any wrong-doing so why did she not tell Renata as well as the principal and teacher what the psychologist said?

Nicole Kidman is doing a wonderful job in the role of Celeste. Oh my gosh, her applying makeup to hide those big ugly bruises in the car gave me chills. So matter of fact. She continues to rationalize and make excuses for Perry. It's fascinating how a highly educated, accomplished woman can become a victim of domestic violence. I mean, she has the financial means to flee with her sons but yet she has this very odd, twisted (imo) relationship with her violent, abusive spouse. I'm walking on eggshells FOR her as I am watching their scenes. I kept waiting for Perry to explode as he methodically picked up the toys....it wasn't until later at the therapy session we see the aftermath of that scene as Celeste is remembering. I was cheering as I saw her at the airport with the twins, only to be crushed when it was only to pick up Perry.
    momrek06 and Cornholio like this.

FORT Fogey

I think that Jane's character in the book was much better fleshed out. In the book, her parents were around some of the time, and she leaned on them for help with Ziggy. I get why they didn't include those characters in the show - more people to cast. But having their presence allowed them to show some of the fears that she had being a rape victim, but also showed her fighting through it in a healthier way.
    "The way we treat people we strongly disagree with is a report card on what we've learned about love, compassion, and kindness." - Marcandangel

"There should be less value placed on agreement and more on understanding each other"

I'm all caught up again... really enjoying it, this show is just really well done. In some ways, it reminds me of that mini-series "The Slap" with its epic cast and writing. In both cases, most of the characters have too much time & money on their hands and are creating needless drama...
    AcookerTV likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast